Common Fbody Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Common Fbody Problems

Hey Silver 99 camaro, everything you said is very accurate. I have a 94 camaro with over 205,000 miles on it. I bought the car when i was 18 with 168,000 miles. I have to say i got my money's worth out of it. Well I have the same problem you have. My passenger side window goes up very slow, my tranny been shifting funny and my damn compressor when out with the blower at the same time. Man I live in louisiana I need my AC. Right now im pissed off with it but, I love my camaro. As far as the engine I only had one problem, since I bought the car and that was head gaskets. Other that that my engine has been reliable, but other things has not.

Comment

I have a 94 camaro with 118,000 miles on it so far. I've had it since 2005 and it has really been the most durable vehicle I could possibly have asked for. When i first got it the body was really in fantastic condition so I babied it quite a bit. Its had its share of problems but nothing major enough to keep it off the road. I've put on Tires,
      Rotors, pads, drums, shoes all the way around,
      2 serpentines,
      2 sets of plug wires and 1 set of plugs,
      a tensioner pulley,
      1 window motor, (I see a lot of people complaining about this, I think its clear the motor sent with the car is underpowered for the size of the window it needs to move up and down. possibly some sort of modification to allow a larger motor would increase lifespan?)
      front wheel hub assemblies (bearings were the offenders there),
      an alternator,
      a thermostat,
      and a wide variety of lights. Has anyone else had trouble with napa brand lights? I replaced at least 5 headlights between the hi and lo beams before I thought to try a different brand of light and the current sylvanias have been in the car longer than the previous napa lights combined.
      The a/c compressor currently leaks like a sieve when filled with coolant but its not so much of a problem here in buffalo.
      The things that are really impressive are how its survived being driven through its 14 winters with a really minimal amount of rust. There was some rust in the floor pans where those stupid drain plugs are and some cosmetic rust on the quarter panels which has since been replaced with new metal and bondo but the car has survived remarkably better than our 1978 chevy van which probably could have made it a few more years but was rusted in key areas to the point where if you looked at it funny something would fall off.
      Aside from the rust the car was in a flood up to the headlight housings. miraculously, I was able to drive it away after i let it drain for a while. I had to remove the entire interior upholstery and noise dampening material and clean it thoroughly but besides a new air filter nothing has ever gone wrong as a result of the flood. Heres a link to some of the pictures: http://www.skylarkhosting.com/misc/camaroflood/

so i supposed the moral of the story is that in my experience a couple of grand and taking good care of the car as far as regular maintenance, taking care of problems early, and driving respectfully except for the occasional workout will result has resulted in a very durable car. the engine is as solid as a rock and the auto tranny isnt near needing a rebuild yet. I plan to drive the car into the ground but I would be entirely surprised to see it pass 200k at this rate.

Comment

My car did great until around 95k then she decided to turn into an angry devil lady and start breaking stuff left and right. First it was the headlight motors no biggy, then the guide for the drivers windo broke "still not fixed cheaper to find a new door my color then to fix it" then the R window motor started going. Somehow the power steering resvoir melted itself, then the engine started knocking horribly. There were a few things in there I missed but, got the motor rebuilt the headlights fixed the resevoir repaired and for the most part all was good for 30k, then the engine decided to throw a rod on me >< So in for another rebuild still waiting to get it back all I gotta say is if anything else major happens now Im going to be an angry man.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankyZ View Post
          My car did great until around 95k then she decided to turn into an angry devil lady and start breaking stuff left and right. First it was the headlight motors no biggy, then the guide for the drivers windo broke "still not fixed cheaper to find a new door my color then to fix it" then the R window motor started going. Somehow the power steering resvoir melted itself, then the engine started knocking horribly. There were a few things in there I missed but, got the motor rebuilt the headlights fixed the resevoir repaired and for the most part all was good for 30k, then the engine decided to throw a rod on me >< So in for another rebuild still waiting to get it back all I gotta say is if anything else major happens now Im going to be an angry man.
          I can't really say much, my 3.4 had 180K and it runs good! all it needs is the regular stuff nothing special, just a driver side window motor

Comment

98 3.8 camaro 175k, bought it in 04 with 36k, I DRIVE THE CRAP OUT OF THIS CAR! 1/8 mi on thursdays 1/4 mi every other month, now Im getting into auto x. Just regualr maintence, synthetic oil changes every 6k fuel filter, tranny service an the like. I have only broke 2 things, the tranny (which i droped while e-brake sliding) and the crank position sensor (dropped a razor blade while changing my water pump to an electric) I LOVE my car.:rock:

Comment

I have to replace sparkplugs, Wireset, and Ignition Coils, its loosing power and spittin and spudderin....gay....

Comment

Lets see since owning the damn car

1996 RS starting out 105k and now its only at 11k.
                1)2 new Trannys
                2)New Drive shaft
                3)defective swtich
                4)new battery
                5)New tranny Seal
                6)Only god knows what the car actually stalled on me today while driving on the highway and wouldn't fire up.:( Iam alittle pissed off bout it:mad:

Comment

i bought mine from a used dealership and paid $1500 cash.........only probs i ever had was the battery,alternator, radiator, and water pump....but u cant hot rod it on aged wear and tear parts......there like girls if u drive them hard they will leave u lol!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by parkplace101 View Post
                    i bought mine from a used dealership and paid $1500 cash.........only probs i ever had was the battery,alternator, radiator, and water pump....but u cant hot rod it on aged wear and tear parts......there like girls if u drive them hard they will leave u lol!!!!!
                    I disagree. If they're like girls, then you gotta take care of em. If you take care of em you can "hot rod" them more :D

TEAM C6V6

Comment

• Re: Common Fbody Problems

yea there not like girls you cant ride them hard and then but them away wet!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 99turbocamaro View Post
                        yea there not like girls you cant ride them hard and then but them away wet!!!
                        lol try again.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

for the 98 firebird..
                          i changed the fuel pump
                          has something wrong with the fans.. so i just have manual switch until i fix it.
                          changed the water pump
                          changed a few coil packs
                          old rusted bolts broke when i took headers off
                          my rear is leaking oil
                          my headlights get stuck
                          changed the plastic gear in the headlight motors

Comment

well mine has 158000 havent done a lot to it
                            drove it 1000 miles aug 2-3 got 34.2mpg with air going

so i have put in/on the car
                            used 3.8
                            muffler(drinking accident)
                            swapped coil packs & iginiton module all went bad(free from old motor)
                            freon leak put rubber o ring in place and works fine
                            air temp sensor (problem solving)

regular mantence
                            4 tires(drinking accident in the ditch lol)
                            fuel filter
                            plugs,wires
                            air filter

needs
                            speakers 3 are goin out
                            water pump some time
                            headlights cleaned(there hazy)
                            pass window slow
                            dr and pass door window stops
                            #1 missfire code after 4000 rpm's but dont affect nothing

thats it i drive it all the time and has never let me down
                            i have a 1995 ford that never lets me down n have done nothin to it just except for regular maintence items and it hass over 288000 miles on it

Comment

well i have a 99 with 85,*** and i down right dog on it hard. Im in it to win it lol, i have a small rear main leak, just broke my pressure plate, and i have richmond 3.73's that werent set up right and messed up then had a friend set them up now they just make noise but hold to a beating lol, that and my pace-setters have a tendency to burn wires other than that she's held together.
                              99' firebird 3.8
                              pacesetter headers, single chamber flow, no cat, spec flywheel, spec 2+ clutch, 02 ss rear end.

sigpic

Comment

something around my left rear wheel is making a squeeking noise. havent figured it out yet.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X