• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Common Fbody Problems

AC :(! Hotter then hell out and the ac needs a little help

Comment

On my 2002 Firebird I've replaced one coil pack, driver's side window motor, solenoid on top of gas tank (and the labor killed me on that one), going in the shop tomorrow possibly cat. convertor, EGR valve went out awhile back and average 5 to 6 low beam head lights a year.

Comment

Originally posted by fogman40 View Post
        On my 2002 Firebird I've replaced one coil pack, driver's side window motor, solenoid on top of gas tank (and the labor killed me on that one), going in the shop tomorrow possibly cat. convertor, EGR valve went out awhile back and average 5 to 6 low beam head lights a year.
        our cars much know each other. I've had the exact same problems :rolleyes:

Comment

Just changed the cat. converter 2 days ago. Runs like a champ now.

Comment

OK. '98 with 175500 miles and now have the following issues:
            1. The common Headlight nylon gear issue (right and left headlight motors 'growl' when I turn the headlights off)
            a. Headlights need adjustment too...real hard to see at night now
            2. Difficult going from Park to Drive...press the left button on the 'prndl handle' and can't get out of park without reaching under the ashtray and manually moving the release
            3. Mystery Radio/Window issue....numbers on clock mess up then radio cuts off and left window won't go down...tapping the dash by the a/c and lowering the left window slightly fixes this
            4. Left window motor seems to be failing....
            5. Windshield wipers stay up when you turn the wipers off
            6. When you turn the radio volume down, it occasionally gets louder while turning the knob
            7. No A/C..

Things I've had repaired:
            1. Idler Pulley....(seems to be a recurring theme (where here's plastic..there's a problem))
            2. Routine maintenance...changing the spark plugs and wires was NOT fun on this car

Think I'm about ready to retire 'Christine'.

Comment

2. Difficult going from Park to Drive

I've got that one too. I was trying to figure out what caused it but I traced the line to something up behind the steering column. It hasn't been too much of an issue for me to further investigate.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                2. Difficult going from Park to Drive

I've got that one too. I was trying to figure out what caused it but I traced the line to something up behind the steering column. It hasn't been too much of an issue for me to further investigate.
                You have to move the shifter from P to the D or OD , then you can go forward. HAHA LOL J/K. If that is happening take a look at the shifter linkage under the car and make sure it is still secure and not slipping. When I swapped the A4 in I had to run the cable through the hole in the shifter assembly and it locks in then attaches to the round ball the white plastic end and pops in. Could go under and spray the cable with WD40 or silicone spray. Or like me I dsconnected the solenoid lock out because I didn't want to mess with it. So once out of Park I can just flip it into any gear without any problems.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I'm the original owner since 96' in AZ, my problems are pretty much the same heres my list for almost 14 years:
                  battery(2) switch to Optima been alot better
                  Altenator(4)
                  water pumps(6)
                  starters(2)
                  A/C compressors(4)
                  Tensionor assembly(1)
                  Idler pulley
                  IAC sensor(2)
                  TPS sensor(2)
                  Maf sensor(2)
                  Coils(2 sets)
                  Power steering pump(2)
                  radiator(2)
                  balancer(1)
                  All suspension parts/ bushings/endlinks
                  Steering column/ R&P / BCM / PCM
                  Rear end, Diff, gears, axles
                  Tranny rebuild, Engine rebuild
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

2002 Camaro.w/81k..bought it may 08 with 67k on it...have no idea what had been replaced, it was the cleanest camaro i've ever seen and still is, problem is when i bought it, no and i mean NO maintence had ever been done to it, previous owner was an oil change and outer..ALL original parts when I got it including but not limited to: AIR FILTER LMAO WAS BLACK AS NIGHT, ORIGINAL BELT, ETC..stuff that should have been replaced but was not.
                    since then i have...
                    -o2 sensor
                    -alternator
                    -air filter
                    -fuel filter
                    -fuel pump
                    -alternator
                    -upgraded to custom made cold air intake w/high flow cone air filter
                    -upgraded to 180* thermo
                    -installed B&M shift kit
                    -replaced transmission filter(NEVER BEEN DONE, it was black and had deposits all over it and the pan)
                    -replaced tranny fluid w/syn fluid
                    -replaced belt
                    -replaced tires
                    -replaced and upgraded rear rotors and pads to Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/powerstop ceramic brake pads
                    -replaced multiple fuses
                    -rad flush(idiot before mixed GO5 w/Dex..not a smart move)
                    -power steering flush
                    -replaced all bulbs but fogs and headlights

Needs to be done--
                    -plugs, wires..just outta preventative maintence
                    -rear end fluid(disquisting right now but waiting til i get money for gear swap)
                    -both window motors slowly dying :(
                    -battery is original but somehow still living, prob need to be soon replaced
                    -whole exhaust(either exhaust leak, bad cat, or EGR valve gets stuck..still TDB but I want to replace exhaust anyway,, DYNOMAX!!!)
                    -belt tensioner has a little wobble, needs to be replaced
                    ...and the list continues but i'm too tired to think.

Comment

The only thing that's gone wrong that I would call a "problem" in the 15 years we have had the 3.4L Camaro is a faulty ABS computer and one window regulator. I understand that these are *somewhat* common problem. Other than that, the second thing I've found annoying is having to replace the alternator about 3 times, I'm guessing its just a bit hot in that area of the engine compartment.

What most people are listing on this thread seem more like maintenance things, like tires, bulbs, things that ANY car would need replacing and has nothing to do with the the vehicle specifically. If that's the type of thing that are "problems" then I would include about having to change 250 quarts of oil, fifty oil filters and 50 quarts of transmission fluid, 7 tranny filters and a two dozen spark plugs. Does having to wash the car constitute a "problem?"

Comment

Hey i havent read all the replys for common fbody problems thread. But i really dont think my problem is in their. If anyone knows how to fix this please let me no. THANKS!!!!

So recently my car has been running TERRIBLE. It starts up fine but as soon as you put it in drive (My car is a 1996 rs convertible 3.8 automatic camaro) and accelerate it bogs down and just has no power. Then when you finnaly get to around 25 mph which is hard to get to. You hold the accelerator steady and the engine slopes (reving up and down like gaining power then loosing power) and yet im still holding it steady. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS CAUSING THIS ? If so please let me no. THANKS

The only thing people have told me that could be the problem is(( Fuel Pump is going out, Fuel filter is clogged (Which i already replaced nothing happened), the cateletic converter is clogged, a vacume line is open, an injector is clogged. Can any of these be the problem ? Please Let me no Thanks

Comment

any of those could be a problem, also check the coils, control module, crankshaft sensor, and running lower than an half of tank of gas has always been bad on the fuel pump in those cars

Comment

Unique96, I'd suggest opening a thread of your own to get some better help for your problem. In either case, I'd add the MAF sensor as a possible problem too. You'll get better help when you start to eliminate these possible problems too. And if you don't know how to check some of them, that's even more of a reason to open a thread cause someone will explain. Good luck.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I have a 2000 Camaro. I have only replace the battery, tires and brakes, plugs and wires. I replaced the starter 4 years ago 2005. Had it replaced at Chevy dealer.
                              It went bad 12-09 and remembered GM said it is guaranteed for LIFE...I brought it
                              back to the same dealer and yesterday they replaced it without a problem no charge.
                              I saved over $500!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Ya ive had my 98 bird for about 5 mo. And have done a clutch headlight wiring harness both sides alternator shifter boot brore and so is driver side mirror but iys all pretty common things that go wrong no vehicle is perfect all vehicles are goin ta have problems
                                at least thank god it aint a chrysler product they collapse on themselves after wartanty expires

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                  Hello everyone!
                                  by Andy H
                                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                  3 weeks ago
                                • 3.4 slow to go
                                  hey there strangers!
                                  by 3.4 slow to go
                                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X