Common Fbody Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Common Fbody Problems

every cars gunna give you problems, thats what gives it character, it always screws up on you when you least need it too, like my window motor going out when it rained
    1999 White Pontiac
    A4, slp loudmouth, pacesetter headers, ws6 wheels, SLP cold air kit, wings west kit

:rock:

Comment

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum. I have a 2002 Camaro v6/manual for about 2 years with just under 50K on it and I have replaced:
      - coil pack
      - fuel pump
      - drivers-side window motor
      - rear window defogger....needs fixing
      - All new calipers and rotors (normal stuff)

I really love the car, but I do think the coil pack, fuel pump and window motor should have lasted a little longer. It's too bad...hopefully I'm ahead of the curve...

Bob

Comment

Hey everybody,
        on my 97 bird i have done
        -tranny mount
        -rear seal
        -oil pan gasket
        -ac compressor
        -tranny fluid and filter(orginal owner never changed over the 130,000 miles he put on it)
        And what really sux is that im 16 and i don't hav the money:mad:

Comment

I have a 1995 Camaro 3.4 117k miles and the only things that went wrong with it are...a slight exhaust leak,had to replace the cat and i had to clean my egr.Thus far i havent had any really horrible issues.

Comment

My 98 is now at 141K. Replaced:
            Water Pump
            Belt Tensioner
            Altenator
            Plugs and Wires (General Maintenance and a pain in the ...)
            AC Blower Motor

There is an Antifreeze smell now when I park....but see none in oil or on pavement.
            The radio cuts off and on sporadically (when this happens the windows won't rolll down)
            It is sometime very difficult to get out of Park...sporadic

Still Love the Car though....

Comment

Forgot to mention< I have the headlight 'noise' when I turn them off and the close.....believe that is the nylon gear deal...

Comment

1998 convertible

bought used at 54k,now 75k...almost 3 yrs later

*tune-up (everything but fuel filter)

*fuel filter (soon,not done yet)

*battery

*rear main seal x2

*front main seal

*rear part of convertible top

*passenger side window motor

*part of the passenger side window that allows it to not slide front/back replaced..

*MAF sensor

*cat (its bad,not replaced yet)

*egr (bad,not replaced yet)

*drivers side door lock

*visors

*coil pack x2

*radiator hoses (upper+lower)

*coolant flush

*transmission flush

*alot of oil changes and of course new tires were needed...

*of course brakes have been worked on to(x4)...rotorsx2(rear)

*shocks(not done yet)

*windshield wiper blades,didnt replace soon enough and wipers scratched windshield

* new windshield (not fixing for awhile)

it has been expensive(prly over 4k,includes regular maintenance stuff obviously),mostly because i had shops do alot of the work...it wasnt maintained by the previous owner obviously,but i think it is in good condition for a vehicle at/over 10 years old.

it needs a trip to a body shop for all the dings and scratches it has collected over the last 10 yrs, a new paint job and a new interior eventually,cheaper than a new car 4 sure though(no payment currently,my payment is the maintenance basically)...

maintenance has been as high as 200$ a month(avg around 80$/mo over past 3 yrs),so basically it has been compare-able to a car payment at times but i can choose when i want to pay for the maintenance to be done and i COULD just let it fall apart if i wanted (not gonna happen).
                Last edited by sedain; 01-01-2008, 12:02 AM.

Comment

welp, since i last posted on reliability back in July, i've run my car up to a cool 208,600 miles, and the only thing i've had to do since i bought it was put a bulb in the driver side tail light...now i need a driver side rear marker light fixture, and a bulb in the driver side front marker light...there's a small leak on the backside of the EGR seal, but i'll take care of that when i have the money...also, since i last posted here, my passenger side Bose ampy-thingy went out, so i pulled the amps out of the doors and replaced the speakers, and ran the rear crossovers to a 2x12 box...i love this car...:tup:

Comment

I notice a lot of people got new cat's around 50 - 70k miles? I read that cat's should last the life of the vehicle. I have about 52k on mine, would you say I should replace mine, or at least get it checked? And how would I go about doing that?
                    2001 Firebird 3.8L

Comment

Anyone know about the cat? Thanks
                      2001 Firebird 3.8L

Comment

I know mine went bad before the warranty ran out (IIRC, the warranty on the cat is 80k) and it threw a code. It also rattled like there were loose pieces inside the cat. You could hear it rattle when I got on the gas. The dealer replaced it for free. If you don't have a code and no rattle when you rev hard, I wouldn't worry about it. It's kinda expensive to replace just on a whim.
                        2000 Camaro V6<br />I\'ve done nothing to my car worth note. :)

Comment

mine has had its fair share of problems too but only because the person I bought it from neglected it. the first problem was stuck lifters, which eventually led to buying a whole new engine becasue the oil had sludged so bad that there were 3 inches of sludge in the oil pan. less than 30 minutes after it came out of the shop with the new engine (actually used, 75,000 miles) put in the coolant intake gasket broke and put it back in the shop for a few days. Despite the fact that my car will predetonate when I put 87 grade fuel in it I havnt had any problems since and I still love my car.

Comment

'94 Camaro 165,000mi (before rebuild)
                            Other than standard wear stuff like oil, plugs, wires, brakes, etc. (You can't really add those to the list because you have to replace that on any Jap or German car too)

- Catalytic Converter @ 90K mi
                            - Driveshaft Center bearing (stupid 2 piece driveshaft + dragstrip with traction compound = broken driveshaft center bearing) 50K mi
                            - Transmission 80K mi and 130k mi (1st one was a junkyard pull, 2nd was a complete rebuild)
                            - Water pump - 120K mi
                            - Leaky valve seals around 100K mi
                            - Exhaust leak at around 160k mi
                            - Power window motors (both doors) 120K mi

I rebuilt the motor because I wanted more power not because it ran like crap.

The car has actually been very good to me and it sees 5000rpm almost daily. Even with 150k mi, on a 260mi trip I got 24 mpg out of it between 80 and 90 mph. Probably would have seen 26-27 if I kept it at 70.

The bottom line is these cars are cheaper than the equivalent performance imports, and for the most part the replacement parts and maintenance is pretty cheap. Unfortunately sometimes you get a lemon. There are things you can do to get more reliability out of them.

Plug wires - get 8.8mm MSD's they do last longer

Transmissions (manuals) - pro 5.0 shifter - the factor shifters are sloppy and can cause lots of missed shifts

Transmissions (auto) - auxilliary trans cooler

Synthetic Oil (mobil 1) - When I pulled the heads on my motor, after 165K mi there was very little visible wear in the cylinders, no sludge at all.

Cooling system - Those off the shelf flushing systems have acids that eat away at water pump seals. Use a couple table spoons of Tide laundry detergent or Cascade dishwashing detergent. (don't for get to drain and refill)

If you're going through batteries or alternators like crazy make sure positive and negative cables are tight and not corroded.

Certain things just fail over time: O2 sensors, Cat's, exhaust gaskets, alternators, and power window motors. But imports break too, they also cost more to buy and fix than these cars do. Also you can't compare our cars to the quality of new cars. GM wasn't building cars with 100,000 mile warranties then, they were 3 yr 36,000 mile then. I have a 2005 Astro van with 60,000miles and the plugs are original and don't need to be changed for another 40,000. It's just the difference in build standards, and maintenance requirements.

Then again I have all 3.4's. I hear 3.8's have more issues. You guys should downgrade, we may be slower but at least we'll get there LOL. j/k.

Just my .02 cents (or dollars).

Comment

HERE'S MY LIST!

1. Bought with tranny that had no 2nd gear-$1,400
                              2. Engine Threw a bearing during normal driving-$2,100
                              3. Been through 3 alternators. $140 a piece.
                              4. Tranny went out, AGAIN. $600
                              5. Pass. Window Motor. $100
                              6. Kept throwing a Random Misfire code. Cause? Bad Stator in harmonic dampener. Replaced Dampener. $100
                              7. Power Steering went out. $140
                              8. TRANNY WENT OUT AGAIN. $450
                              9. A/C went bad. $400
                              10. A/C Went bad again. $400
                              11. Transmission went AGAIN. $650 and counting (still repairing)
                              12. A/C went out again. Free replacement since this was my 3rd compressor from the company.
                              And the y pipe rattles.

4L60E's are slushboxes. Period. Buy a T5.

I bought the car at 130k its only at 150.
                              Last edited by Firebirdkid96; 02-29-2008, 02:16 PM. Reason: Premature Post
                              Y87 Package
                              MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
                              Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
                              BONE APPROVED!
                              VANBIBBER APPROVED!
                              KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
                              Team Black...TEAM EMO
                              sigpic
                              Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

Well I bought my car last March 2007 with 46k on it, now it has 52600.

So far I have replaced.

-Both headlights, highbeams, and fogs. One driving light.
                                -Battery
                                -Had front brakes done and all rotors resurfaced.
                                -Tire valve stems replaced twice..I don't know why it kept leaking.
                                -Went to a shop the other day and they showed me my rear pinion seal is leaking, so that has to be fixed.

Not too bad

Along with the oil changes every 3 months, and had to tranny fluid changed and filter.
                                Twice I had the injectors cleaned.

My tires leak air badly, I don't know why, but I'm on the lookout for new tires and rims. And my hood will need to be replaced due to idiots, but that isn't on the top of the list. I also have a problem with the radio/power windows, they will randomly shut off. I read it might be the body control unit, but luckily it doesn't do it that much anymore.
                                Last edited by ViperRider; 03-14-2008, 09:10 PM.
                                2001 Firebird 3.8L

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X