Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Common Fbody Problems

Originally posted by nerone View Post
    I don't know about everybody else, but this car is starting to tick me off. I have a 99 Camaro with 54K miles and since the warranty ended 2 years ago, it's been falling apart. The intake gasket sprung a coolant leak, the TCC solenoid in the tranny went bad, the AC compressor is on the way out, right side window motor barely works, AND the y-pipe is starting to rattle. All in all it's going to cost a bundle to keep this thing in good shape. Are all of you having the same amount of trouble? Is this common on these cars? They are nice cars, but they sure aren't reliable, at least mine's not.
    They're truly typical GM junk. Great looking but GM should supply a garage so you can work on it cuz you'll be spending plenty of time doing just that.

Comment

Originally posted by fishin View Post
      They're truly typical GM junk. Great looking but GM should supply a garage so you can work on it cuz you'll be spending plenty of time doing just that.
      :bs: What in the hell are you talking about? I've got 2 camaros and neither of them have had much of anything done to them and they're both at like 65k+ Any car will have problems if you don't take of them properly. ANY CAR. And what's sad to say is that I've only been changing the oil and using 93 octane gas. Blah blah higher octane is only used for higher compression blah blah. Yeah true but I should take pictures of the throttle bodies/upper intake manifolds in both cars. One which I just bought from my brother who uses 87, not too long ago and the one I've had since mile 7. The difference in how clean they are is unreal.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
        :bs: What in the hell are you talking about? I've got 2 camaros and neither of them have had much of anything done to them and they're both at like 65k+ Any car will have problems if you don't take of them properly. ANY CAR. And what's sad to say is that I've only been changing the oil and using 93 octane gas. Blah blah higher octane is only used for higher compression blah blah. Yeah true but I should take pictures of the throttle bodies/upper intake manifolds in both cars. One which I just bought from my brother who uses 87, not too long ago and the one I've had since mile 7. The difference in how clean they are is unreal.
        +1 I bought my 99 with 98k miles on it, it's now at 127,799. Only repairs I've had to make:

1. Torque Converter.
        2. MAF sensor (today actually)
        3. Flasher relay.
        and regular maint.

Comment

the window motors only fail if dumb asses close the doors by pushing on the windows when they get out

96 firebird at 140,000 and it leaks a little oil from the rear main but it's not too bad, my dad had the car for a month before i got it from him and he ragged the s**t out of it, redlining it from every single stoplight, and didn't leak oil until then. I bought it bone stock 3 years ago with 100,000 on it and the only maintenance done by the previous owner was oil changes. I did a total bumper to bumper tune up and fluid change when I got it, but the only "problems" I've had are a coil pack went bad, 5 min fix and at 100,000 miles i just replaced the entire ignition system with performance parts, alternator, 10 mins to change (gotta love American rwd), an o2 sensor and a few bulbs.
          i also have c.a. intake and full exhaust and it runs way better

oh and the ac didn't work when i got it. all parts are functional but there is a HUGE freon leak somewhere but it i put a can in it it works for a couple days

the engines in these cars a great and if you do preventative maintenance you really shouldn't have but minimal problems if any. but most people wait for something to brake before they take care of it

Comment

<96 with a new motor - I replaced virtually every part under the hood you can think of!

My transmission is probably my next project.

My window motors are going out too.

I really dont think it has anything to do with being a GM. Face it, these cars werent made to be reliable or last forever. These cars were built for first cars or what have you, with the thought they would be either wrecked, ragged out, or traded in on something way better.
            Well said - GM has nothing to do with it. My car is 12 years old and I don't expect it to reach great perfection. That's just automobiles for you. They have their glory and then they become aged.
            Last edited by Leonard 3.8L; 10-10-2008, 09:32 AM.
            Leonard
            www.fquick.com/96V6Junkie
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brian_D View Post
              "F-Bodies = Problems?"

No; GM = Problems!

If you want a good engine/tranny, go GM. For pretty much everything else, look elsewhere!
              I really dont think it has anything to do with being a GM. Face it, these cars werent made to be reliable or last forever. These cars were built for first cars or what have you, with the thought they would be either wrecked, ragged out, or traded in on something way better.

Comment

WOW!!! i guess i can consider myself lucky as hell. *knocks on wood* i bought the car in 2007 with 105000 on the odo, now im at 140000 and not many problems. my cat went bad, so i took it out, and ive replaced window motor, and of course tires (only the rear lol) to be honest, its not easy being a car that i own. i race everyone, and burn out everywhere, im 19 and super hard on my car. go figure, but she runs like a champ. this dude in a 3.8 camaro got all over my butt the other night, i took care of him. its alot quicker than other 3.8s, and 3.8 mustangs dont stand a chance.
                Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                  WOW!!! i guess i can consider myself lucky as hell. *knocks on wood* i bought the car in 2007 with 105000 on the odo, now im at 140000 and not many problems. my cat went bad, so i took it out, and ive replaced window motor, and of course tires (only the rear lol) to be honest, its not easy being a car that i own. i race everyone, and burn out everywhere, im 19 and super hard on my car. go figure, but she runs like a champ. this dude in a 3.8 camaro got all over my butt the other night, i took care of him. its alot quicker than other 3.8s, and 3.8 mustangs dont stand a chance.
                  What do you have done to it?
                  And I hope you're quicker than a 3.8 crustang lol. My girlfriend has on and it really is a lot slower than my car was totally stock and not to mention her car handles like a f**king minivan

Comment

just a heads up to ad to the list of f-body problems.... intake manifold gasket leaks.

Comment

When I bought my Camaro it only had 105k miles on it total but then the dealership put on a new windsheild, battery, and radio.

then all this happend
                      1)Tranny went 3times
                      2)Drive shaft fell out
                      3)There was a bad switch which resulted in a system draw
                      4)Fuel pump
                      5)rear diffrential
                      6)now only god knows whats next because the check engine light came on today:(

That doesn't include needs brake service and belts replacement soon. but other than that its a rock solid car I have roughly invested near 12k so far and growing.

Comment

Originally posted by 96nastybird View Post
                        What do you have done to it?
                        And I hope you're quicker than a 3.8 crustang lol. My girlfriend has on and it really is a lot slower than my car was totally stock and not to mention her car handles like a f**king minivan
                        headers, full exhaust, no cat, t/b spacer, k&n filter, and i took out my baffle box.
                        this dude at work has a 3.8 stang, and he was like "its super fast, it went 0-60 in like 7 seconds" i know i run the 1/8 9.45 @ 67 so i knew he was lyin, hes only 16, but long story short, we ran, and he LOST!! by like 2 lengths!!!
                        Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

that's about what I have on mine but do you have 3.42 gears too? those make a heck of a difference in acceleration. One of my friends has a totally stock camaro with the y87 and we are gonna go just to see how much off a difference intake and exhaust make

Comment

yea. i think so, cause i would always take v-6's before and now i blow em up!
                            Team NoVa

Comment

Common f-body issues (these are from my experiences)

- Top hat on shocks seem to rust; especially the driver's side
                              - Driver's side seat wears out on the side; from you having to slide on to the seat because (insert bad word here) park too damn close to you
                              - Lights on the stereo die out
                              - Passenger side window motor dies out because of the lack of power going to it (AutoTrix can fix this)
                              - The huge cap between the bumper and your headlight (poor bumper fitment)
                              - The tabs beneath your front fenders breaking off because people who use a lift on your car don't know about them
                              - Monsoon midbass speakers blowing out (cheap paper speakers)

... that's all I can think of off the top of my head. I haven't met one f-body owner that has said that nothing bad has happen to their car but ... you gotta pay to play!

Also, who ever designed that passenger side cup holder should be shot in the face! What the hell were they thinking and who the hell approved that design?!
                              99 Camaro RS - 3.8L V6<br /><br />Modifications<br />Exhaust: Magnaflow OBD-II High-flow Catalytic converter / Magnaflow catback exhaust<br />Intake: Shaved Airlid / 3\" PVC tub<br />Suspension: V8 springs / DeCarbon shocks / 32mm 1LE swaybar / 19mm rear swaybar

Comment

Originally posted by benoh with camaro View Post
                                Also, who ever designed that passenger side cup holder should be shot in the face! What the hell were they thinking and who the hell approved that design?!
                                i like that cup holder best, except when people get in my car. i have more of a problem with the one in front of the arm rest, its completely pointless to have a drink there, cause then you cant rest your effin arm!!!
                                btw, i was recently quoted saying that i havent had a problem with my bird yet, well the puddle of oil on top of my intake says other wise....just had to run my mouth...i think its valve cover gasket.
                                Team NoVa

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                  Hello everyone!
                                  by Andy H
                                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                  3 weeks ago
                                • 3.4 slow to go
                                  hey there strangers!
                                  by 3.4 slow to go
                                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X