No announcement yet.

Common Fbody Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

96 Camaro with 195k and the only "major" thing that has gone was the alternator.

I bought the car at 178k, maybe the previous owner just finished fixing everything? I don't know.
    1996 Hunter Green Chevrolet Camaro A4 Y87 - 3.8 Series II V6 (200k and still going strong)<br />Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler, SLP Cold Air Intake

Comment

My car has 80,000 miles, I bought it 2 years ago at around 50,000 miles. So far my list is:

High temp wires because one fried on the manifold
      Alternator
      Cut out headlight wiring harnesses because of corrosion
      3 ignition coils
      Cat
      And I think the ICM is on its way out...

And what I consider maintenance:
      battery
      4 tires
      serpentine belt
      miscellaneous bulbs
      fuel filter
      spark plugs

I think that's all...Oh yeah, and it's not so bad if you can do most of it yourself, saves $$$$$!
      <a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/bethann375\" target=\"_blank\">http://photos.yahoo.com/bethann375</a> <br /><br />1999 firebird, dark blue metallic, 5-speed, t-tops, kenny brown sfc\'s, high-flow cat, dynomax super turbo muffler, K&N filter, silver Firebat decals

Comment

I have recently turned over 102,000 miles on it and the only breakdown(s) came from when an SES light came on(twice) and started running rough. The problem both times was an ignition coil but the first time cost over $1000.00 because the idiots at the dealer didn't know what they were doing. They replaced an O2 sensor twice, fuel pump, wires and something else I can't remember. Other than that, just normal maintainance like recently replaced front rotors, pads all around, tranny and rear end fluid, spark plugs and wires, pcv valve and what not. I'm just wondering when something bad will really happen to her!!! :D

Comment

Those damn dealers will get you every time..lol

Comment

My 97 has 140xxx KMs on it (I have no idea what that translates to in miles), and so far, I've replaced my serpentine belt, ignition cylinder (f'in VATS), and my catalytic converter clogged on me. I replaced my coils, wires, and plugs just as a performance precaution.
            \'97 Camaro: GN Turbo w/intercooler, 3.42s w/ Auburn HD posi, Bulletproof 4L60E-HD, stage II shift kit, Vette servo, MSD Ign, K&N, Ported TB/MAF, 3\" FlowMaster, 160* thermo, HPTuners v1.6

Comment

bought mine at 54K and its now at 67K...
              brakes and rotors
              cat (about to be installed)
              blinker bulb
              high beam toggle switch (awaiting to be fixed)

i treat my baby well, and boy does she treat me good
              99\' Camaro v6 T5- SOLD<br />2004 VW Golf TDI

Comment

I TAKE GOOD CARE OF MY CAR

IN MY COUNTRY WE BELIEVE THAT IF YOU HAVE SEX IN YOUR CAR THE CAR WOULD START TO GIVE YOU REAL HEAD ACHES, IT HAPPEND TO MY CHEVY BERETTA,,,OHHHH , I LOVED THAT CAR TOO,,SO,,,GET A ROOM

Comment

The only recurring problem I have had are the damned brake rotors, they warp SO EASILY. Granted I'm a little hard on the brakes, but not THAT hard.
                  -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Camarorulz:
                    The only recurring problem I have had are the damned brake rotors, they warp SO EASILY. Granted I'm a little hard on the brakes, but not THAT hard.
                    oddly enough I am rough on brakes too, even a autocross them, haven't warped them once, orginal pads and brakes with 40k

Comment

Re: F-bodies = Problems?

tires, tranny flush, cat, battery, alternator, wires, plugs, radiator hoses, wheel cylinders and brake pads for drums, window motor, headlight gear..

getting head gaskets replaced and mabey new heads if mine are cracked. Following those are a new radiator, water pump and thermostat.

1994 v6 126,000

-Noah

Comment

I have a 98 w/ 106k miles bought at 35k in 2001
                        here is a relatively complete list of what I have done:
                        Plugs and wires 4k miles after I bought it due to misfire not changed since
                        Passenger side headlight motor stripped, 60k miles
                        Passenger side window motor 63k miles (these window motors just aren't made to lift that much glass)
                        Alternator 75k miles
                        Water pump 75k miles
                        all 4 pads and rotors 98k miles ( I could have just done the front but did them all)
                        I'm near the end of my second set of tires.
                        New cat 90k miles (cat was rattling so I did the whole exhaust)
                        Replaced the console lid that was in peices 100k miles
                        replaced the rear hatch button, (shattered into peices when I hit it with my knee one time mileage unknown)
                        Lower control arm bushing torn was replaced when I went to 1LE springs and bilstiens at 68k miles)
                        Clutch master cylinder 90k miles

What is "wrong" right now, leak either from rear main or rear plate, has done this since the 37k mile mark and it's not at the "low" mark by my 3-4k mile oil changes so I'm not worried. I'm also sure at some point I will need a new clutch as I do tend to mash the skinny petal quite a bit but it's not slipping.

Overall I would say I haven't had any problems that are severe or different from any other car with the mileage. The window motors and headlight motors are part of having a 2 door car with flip up headlights, I knew that going into it.

I think I have a pretty good list here, I can't complain and if the tires weren't on there way out I'd have no problem drivng that car coast to coast at any time.
                        -Brad
                        98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
                        2000 V-Star Custom 1100
                        If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
                        :rock:

Comment

Here is a rule of thumb: if the thread you are bumping has a post by MustangEater it is probably super old.

Comment

how do people even find these threads????

87 Firebird RIP
                            96 Camaro RS RIP
                            94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
                            02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

me it hasn't been bad at all: 66,700

regular matience (oil, filter....)
                              o2 senser
                              allternator this weekend
                              belt
                              fuel filter
                              and brand new tires and rims in about a month :tup: :tup:
                              plugs

Comment

Come on are you guys GM guys or what! go to the ford forum if you are gonna *****. I bet there lists are just as long or longer... I've replaced the altenator, ac comp, power steering(first caused others to go), rear seal leak, plug wires... Thats not bad since I drive the sh** out of my car.. and why are people adding bulbs and tires... thats normal with any any car.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                  Hello everyone!
                                  by Andy H
                                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                  3 weeks ago
                                • 3.4 slow to go
                                  hey there strangers!
                                  by 3.4 slow to go
                                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X