Common Fbody Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Common Fbody Problems

A/C probably needs a new compressor. I replaced mine at 80K.
    Check on ebay. I got a very reasonable one that was new in a new box from a distributor in Florida.
    Phil

Comment

Compressor, that's what I meant to say... Hah. Thanks, think I'll look into finding one for cheap too. Anyone have a part # for that handy?

Edit: Only one I see on Ebay is $121 + $33 shipping from Philly.
      Last edited by Saxis; 04-12-2007, 10:35 AM.
      <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2182744\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2182744</a> <br /><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">I\'ll procrastinate later...</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Comment

i bought my 94 3.4 in 98 at 60000 miles. i feel bad about running that purty lil car up to 160000 miles with just an oil change every 3000 miles and dump in injector cleaner at each oil change. i bought an egr valve a couple years back and have not installed yet. just routine maintenance. only over 100 mph twice.
        homer

Comment

I got my 95 3.4 almost a year ago. it is at 156xxx. I am the second owner. The previous ower, seemed like she did not take good car of it mechanically. Radiator is all rusty because she, I beleive she used water from the day she bought the car. When I got the car it had no collant or water. Flushed it out once. had to replace the serpentine belt, water pump front rotors, front shocks. Tires and a rew of the big hoses that connect to the radiator. I used to abuse this car a lot. Now less frequent than before, but i still floor it often. The only problem that annoys me is this little rattling or grindingish sound that seems to be coming from the driverside. If some one could help me find out what that might be. thnx

Comment

2001, 108k
            Rebuilt rear end (due to faulty Diff seal that ran the gears dry)
            All new wiring
            2 x Ignition coils
            Idler tensioner assembly
            Fuel pump
            Front rotors
            4 x tires (just wear and tear)
            ...And now I have a strange ticking in the driver side of the engine block...

Comment

Under warranty replacements:
              Driver's side window motor
              Catalytic converter

Out of warranty:
              pcv valve twice
              spark plugs and wires
              rotors (I warp them on a consistent basis because I drive in much traffic)
              tires
              and oil

That's it. 121k trouble-free miles. This car has taken me anywhere I want to go and never left me stranded. It's just now developed a rear main seal leak so I'll have to get that fixed soon. Otherwise I plan to keep it another 100k unless I get a huge raise at work and get the BMW I want. :)
              2000 Camaro V6<br />I\'ve done nothing to my car worth note. :)

Comment

My 99 has 70,000 miles owned since Aug. 03 with 45,000

so far I have replaced
                1. Alt.
                2. Pcm
                3. Fuel pump
                4. Crank sensor (twice)
                5. Spark Plug wires
                6. Coil pack with module

Comment

I have been very fortunate with mine. I have a 99 camaro that I bought 4 years ago with 25,000 mile. It now has 103,000 and still runs like a dream. The only major thing that I have had to do to it was to replace the engine control module (600.00). Minor things have included driver side window regulator, passenger side visor, tune ups, new tires, new battery, oil sending unit. I still need to replace headlights because they are all fogged up, and get new brakes. Other than that it has been a great car.

Comment

i've had my car for a month now...these are the things i know have been done during the life of the car...

95 3.4 camaro...201,000 miles...

has been done:
                    new intake, head gaskets
                    water pump
                    alternator
                    battery
                    driver's side T-top(lost on highway!!!)
                    new radiator hoses

needs to be done:
                    i believe there's a crack in the underside of the passenger exhaust manifold
                    driver's side taillight bulb
                    A/C doesnt blow out of vents
                    passenger window is sloooooww
                    the power drivers seat has gone capoot...leaving my seat completly back

this car has been very well maintained...i plan to replace differential seal, install headers and invest in new heads and valvetrain soon...

it even has the stock bose speakers, and they still sound awesome

Comment

It's humorous reading these laments. I just bought a '99 3.8 Camaro to have as a daily driver as my other car is a hot rod '79 El Camino that breaks every third week. I've found the rougher I am on the El C...the more she disrespects me. It's much like a friendship...if you're always taking eventually the friendship breaks down. It requires you to change your attitude about your cars. If you baby them then you get back a little loving when Hemi-boy pulls up next to you, no disrespect intended but my ZZ4 El Camino with a transplanted 4L60 hasn't lost to a Dodge product since I rebuilt and replaced the TH350 with the 4L60.

BUT Elsie (the El Camino) doesn't like being driven hard all the time. March: the ignition switch went bad which created a replacement error on my part then I broke the ignition mechanism and had to replace the steering column. July: Hurst V2 shifter broke after 13 years of hard use. What next? Nothing! Because Elsie gets babied from now on. Just like the '99 Camaro that has a rear main seal leak...man I wish Elsie ONLY HAD a rear main seal leak. That's a 4 hour repair, for an amateur like me. But the Camaro gets massaged and petted because she's my trip car. The El Camino is my bad boy car.

You get back what you put in...if you want to lead foot your car you get back a busted car. Many of the laments you see on the page are just so simple little maintenance things that can be Fram'd away.
                      Always check your coolant...gaskets don't like to get hot...replace the tranny fluid (automatic obviously) every 25,000 - 30,000 miles....replace, I say replace the spark plugs when you think about it....replace the oil when you think about it.

If you love that car show it. If you bought it to race light to light it will break. So what Hemi-boy pulls up next to you...goose it at the light and let him pay the ultimate price...getting on a forum page and complain about how his new Charger is broke all the time.

Just my three cents...sorry if I offend.

Comment

Originally posted by Gashouse60
                        It's humorous reading these laments. I just bought a '99 3.8 Camaro to have as a daily driver as my other car is a hot rod '79 El Camino that breaks every third week. I've found the rougher I am on the El C...the more she disrespects me. It's much like a friendship...if you're always taking eventually the friendship breaks down. It requires you to change your attitude about your cars. If you baby them then you get back a little loving when Hemi-boy pulls up next to you, no disrespect intended but my ZZ4 El Camino with a transplanted 4L60 hasn't lost to a Dodge product since I rebuilt and replaced the TH350 with the 4L60.

BUT Elsie (the El Camino) doesn't like being driven hard all the time. March: the ignition switch went bad which created a replacement error on my part then I broke the ignition mechanism and had to replace the steering column. July: Hurst V2 shifter broke after 13 years of hard use. What next? Nothing! Because Elsie gets babied from now on. Just like the '99 Camaro that has a rear main seal leak...man I wish Elsie ONLY HAD a rear main seal leak. That's a 4 hour repair, for an amateur like me. But the Camaro gets massaged and petted because she's my trip car. The El Camino is my bad boy car.

You get back what you put in...if you want to lead foot your car you get back a busted car. Many of the laments you see on the page are just so simple little maintenance things that can be Fram'd away.
                        Always check your coolant...gaskets don't like to get hot...replace the tranny fluid (automatic obviously) every 25,000 - 30,000 miles....replace, I say replace the spark plugs when you think about it....replace the oil when you think about it.

If you love that car show it. If you bought it to race light to light it will break. So what Hemi-boy pulls up next to you...goose it at the light and let him pay the ultimate price...getting on a forum page and complain about how his new Charger is broke all the time.

Just my three cents...sorry if I offend.

Best first post ever!!

I tend to look at it this way. I'f I'm going to drive my car hard, I need to keep every mechanical component in ship shape. All gaskets are good, no leaks, clean oil, clean antifreeze...etc. Heck, just today I added a 2nd trans cooler to run in line with my stock one (this on my volvo btw). I just want to get everything solid before I start doing big performance mods.

Bottom line: Fix things before they destroy completely, or blow up something else. haha
                        Last edited by shellshock; 07-26-2007, 11:22 PM. Reason: I cants spellorz :P

Comment

plugs, wires, coils, belts, pulleys, brakes all around, exhaust(twice), passenger window motor, those bumpstop things over the axle, clear corners twice, headlight bulbs, taillight bulbs, interior light bulbs, coolant(gross)

1997 RS White with 146K but looks brand new :)

Comment

95 FIREBIRD ( 120K)

window motors
                            headlight motors
                            exhaust system rattle
                            suspension( shocks worn out, not sure, makes a squeaky noise)
                            Bumper Paint peeling
                            headliner coming off

Need to fix all these problems. I just purchased the car a few weeks ago.
                            Last edited by spitfire95; 08-12-2007, 11:48 AM.

Comment

94 just broke 161K

water pump, alternator(like 4 times) AC compressor, exhaust leaks, low exhaust. vaccuum leak, and now im leaking coolant somewhere(doesnt hit ground but hits engine making it smoke. and i have an SES when i floor it to like 50~, backfire, pealing clear coat. Wiper switch mount BROKE, Antenna sucks with adapters. the tape player broke(so did the cd player) need new radiator.

Comment

my 94 firebird V6 3.4 liter limited bought with 38,000 miles i put on 8000 miles ave. a year bought it in 1999 has had lots of probs BTW i only street raced once in a while to show off against the Rustangs, here we go :
                                1) window motors 11 times on driver 6 on passenger
                                2) EGR valve/ solenoids 17 times i don't know why but it goes every 7 months
                                3) serpentine belt 2 times
                                4) tranny 3 times, blew 3rd day after i bought it warranty and dealership refused to pay to fix it so i got it for free in a lawsuit against both, they argued to who should fix it and here i am carless for 2 months no rental like the warranty i bought stated, 1st time they didn't replace the gaskets and seals i was told when it got done by AAMCO the 2nd time
                                5) all 3 O2 sensors 1 time
                                6) tires well thats wear n tear but i get firehawks Z rated every 3 yrs
                                7) rear brake lights 6 times one goes out not the other
                                8) right headlite motor grinds when drops back down
                                9) cat replaced 1 time
                                10) exhaust rotted out replaced with a Flowmaster catback
                                11) headliner 5 times
                                12) no rear defrosters? i lived in Massachusettes it's a neccesity!
                                13) motor mounts all replaced 2 times
                                14) fuel pump 1 time
                                15) display gauges malfunctioned replaced 1 time
                                16) fuel filter 4 times
                                17) turn signal lever broke replaced 1 time
                                i'm only at 128,000 miles at this time and i put around 5000 miles a year since 2004 when gas prices started to rise being i always put 93 grade gas in the car to keep it running clean it was costing $48a week now $93 a week lol
                                Last edited by DragonKing; 09-02-2007, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X