No announcement yet.

Firebird W68 - My LSX Swap thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Firebird W68 - My LSX Swap thread.

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
    Any more updates?
    Ran into issues with small stuff that I'm eventually going to address on the first page.

#1 Fuel - 97 / 98 Corvette Fuel Rails / Regulators have return lines, the downside is they're also extremely rare and hard to come by. My Intake and Rail DID come from a Corvette but it was 99 - 00 Corvette. To compensate, use the Corvette Fuel Filter which has a Regulator built into it. Some people have had luck mounting it in the inlet of the fuel rail, for some reason I was the unlucky bunch who could not get it to clear the ignition coils. To compensate it is now mounted on the fender near the brake lines. New fuel lines had to be made to complete this setup.

#2 Heater Hoses - You do NOT have to use LS1 heater hoses (Brand new they can cost around $200). The V6 ones can be adapted to work. The only part that is different is the part that comes out towards the engine after the metal tubes and thats because LS1's are longer engines.

Just cut the portion after the tube and then fit an adapter to run extended hoses to the radiator, much cheaper.

#3 A/C - The A/C lines between the V6 and V8 are different. It appears though that you may still be able to use the V6 lines as long as you use the V8 pressure switch, but I'm still not 100% certain on this yet.

----

Other issues we've been dealing with:

Building the PCV system
    and
    I just found out I bought the wrong radiator (from a manual car, stupid mistake) I'm either going to buy a transmission cooler or reuse my V6 radiator, haven't decided which yet.
    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Good luck with it.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

• Yes, best of luck with your project.

I did it once, and never again. It's not easy, that's for sure. I shoe-horned an early 70's Chevy 350 into my 1982 Camaro Berlinetta back in the early 90's. It was a ton of work with tons of issues.

But when it was done it hauled butt. Nothing could touch it.

Comment

You won't need to extend the heater hoses. Just cut the ends off and clamp them to the water pump. The Pcv is easy enough with some rubber hose. On the radiator usually manual ls1's have a trans cooler that just has plugs in it. You were lucky enough to find an exception. I wouldn't use your old radiator. The LT1 radiator is the same design as the LS1 but has a thicker core because of the iron block if you can find one. Otherwise you can pick up a new LS1 rad for under $100 on eBay.

Comment

Anyone happen to know the grommet size for the IAT Sensor?

Comment

The end is in sight...finally.

I ran into one more issue. The MAF didn't want to go into my SLP lid so we used a hairdrier to loosen it up and fought with it and it finally went in...but I came back today to find my lid CRACKED! ... It cracked on the bottom portion so we filed down the MAF and used sealant on the crack.

Tonight, wiring the starter and the alternator and we should be good to go.

Test starting it tomorrow at 10 AM PST because its too late to do it open headers right now.

Edit: I forgot to mention, you do need the LS1 A/C lines but I am going to worry about that later.
              Last edited by Need4Camaro; 11-28-2012, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Okay...

Turn ignition switch..
                All gauges light up
                Switches and Manual Fan Works

But no start. Not even trying to crank like Starter has no power. All connectors are connected, is there any manual wiring that may need to be done?

Checked nuetral safety switch and its good. VATS is deleted... any other ideas?

Comment

Hows the battery?
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                    Hows the battery?
                    Battery is good. Solenoid is not getting any power with key. Any ideas?

Comment

Ground strap. Use more than 1.

Comment

Beggining to wonder if its the BCM theft deterrent device...

Comment

If it is the VATS it should be cutting the power to the fuel pump and the starter. Make sure you have power to the ign switch up under the dash. One should be hot all the time.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                            If it is the VATS it should be cutting the power to the fuel pump and the starter. Make sure you have power to the ign switch up under the dash. One should be hot all the time.
                            I'm ganna check tonight ... If it is VATS (because its been deleted on the PCM) How do I get around that?

Comment

If it was a vats issue wouldn't the security light be on?
                              1997 Chevrolet Camaro
                              L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

Still no luck. Checked the yellow - black striped wire at the BCM and did both, applied power and grounded and neither worked (was advised to do this at LS1 tech as this was supposed to bypass the BCM theft deturrent system). Not getting a security light. But Ign is hot. We are getting a Guy from Chevy over the weekend and hopefully getting this sorted out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                  Hello everyone!
                                  by Andy H
                                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                  4 weeks ago
                                • 3.4 slow to go
                                  hey there strangers!
                                  by 3.4 slow to go
                                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X