No announcement yet.

Firebird W68 - My LSX Swap thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Firebird W68 - My LSX Swap thread.

Cool,8 days away:)

Comment

Starter arrived, transmission dipstick arrives tomorrow. Getting transmission rebuilt this weekend and everything will be ready to go back together. Aiming to send to exhaust shop on the 20th and I will be driving again.
      1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Well. Slightly delayed. My final pay check wasn't direct deposited so project completion is aiming for Wednesday or Thursday. I may have more pics over the weekend though ...

Comment

Make sure you snap some pics of the install.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Definitely will. I have reserved $350 for exhaust work and my mechanic is tking LT1 transmission in trade for all the miscellaneous parts I needed and rebuild labor for LS1 transmission so it kinda worked out. I'm going to have to hold off on tires and front end alignment till November though. My Georgia tags are about to expire. Cars are expensive ... but I'm glad I got this done.. wanted this more than buying a LS1 car inspite of having to commute 100 miles a day on the bus plus t5 mile jogs... the things you do...
            Last edited by Need4Camaro; 10-20-2012, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the delay. we had problems with the transmission but its resolved now. Tonight everything is going back together - and we give it a crank. Fingers crossed - tomorrow it goes to exhaust shop if it works... Break in tips?

Comment

Unless its a new engine no break in is required as for the clutch take it easy for 500 miles or so.

Comment

I think I remember you saying you we're going to use the v6 rack and pinion. Depending on the headers you may have a clearance issue with the steering shaft, and the alternator kind of gets in the way of connecting the ps hoses to the rack. I had to modify the steering shaft to get it to clear the header using the v6 rack. I ended up using a v8 rack for more clearance, but you can make the v6 rack work.

Comment

The engine is pretty new, only 1,900 miles. Transmission and Converter just rebuilt...

Originally posted by techsan23 View Post
                    I think I remember you saying you we're going to use the v6 rack and pinion. Depending on the headers you may have a clearance issue with the steering shaft, and the alternator kind of gets in the way of connecting the ps hoses to the rack. I had to modify the steering shaft to get it to clear the header using the v6 rack. I ended up using a v8 rack for more clearance, but you can make the v6 rack work.
                    I ended up just using the V8 rack.

--------------

Running into issues galore.

We weren't able to rebuild the LS1 transmission ... and due to severe time constraints resided with the LT1 transmission and the LS1 7R400 / TH400 adapter ... I had to buy an LT1 converter but it still failed... the converter wobbles inside the transmission... We found the transmission is from a 98 - 00 Truck. I don't really want to send the LS1 transmission to the transmission shop for several reasons including the guy pretty much screwed me with the first transmission I got and still wants to charge me to rebuild the LS1 tranny even if I give him the LT1 tranny back. Screwed up deal but I have very little recourse on it especially since it took so long to get started.

Damn..I'm hoping there's a way to get the first transmission to work or I'm going to be in trouble. Even if I sold both transmissions I still wouldn't have enough for a new tranny and converter.

Comment

So whens the start up and test drive? Or do you need the LS1 tranny first.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                        So whens the start up and test drive? Or do you need the LS1 tranny first.
                        We were trying to put it all together over the weekend and that's when but the transmission. / converter stopped us... but we found the problem. The autostore packed the wrong converter in the box so we have the wrong torque converter... resolving that Today and maybe by tomorrow I should beable to drive.it.

Comment

did your gauges work with the wiring harness?

Comment

would i have to do all the same things if i were to swap a stock fresh rebuilt 5.3 from a fwd monte carlo? it will bolt up to my stock trans so thats a plus with it im just looking to keep it at about stock power just with some exhaust work done. Which headers would be the best to fit and i have a 98 3800 with 373s in it according to the guy i got it from but lays rubber from both wheels at all times so it seems truthful to me lol any extra advice would be great besides the obvious why not more power im just looking to get a little bit more mainly want the v8 rumble i want my stock 125 gauge to work as well

Comment

Originally posted by dondon69420 View Post
                              did your gauges work with the wiring harness?
                              Going to find out probably tomorrow. Havent gotten it all wired up yet but from what I was told the gauges working was mostly dependent on the ECM tune so your tune would have to be for V6 Gauges.

Originally posted by dondon69420 View Post
                              would i have to do all the same things if i were to swap a stock fresh rebuilt 5.3 from a fwd monte carlo? it will bolt up to my stock trans so thats a plus with it im just looking to keep it at about stock power just with some exhaust work done. Which headers would be the best to fit and i have a 98 3800 with 373s in it according to the guy i got it from but lays rubber from both wheels at all times so it seems truthful to me lol any extra advice would be great besides the obvious why not more power im just looking to get a little bit more mainly want the v8 rumble i want my stock 125 gauge to work as well
                              I am unsure of the swap process of the FWD and I think you would find alot more answers at FullthrottleV6.com and LS1tech.com - I personally would be very surprised if the transmissions are the same but I'm not knocking it. The gauges working will be the least of your worries in this swap, that much I can assure you.

-----------------------------------------------------

*Evil...Laugh*
                              Muahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahaaaaa
                              (this thing better crank)

This is it, at long last after nearly a year of subscription...YEARS of planning and deciding and a long fight to keep the car and keep it running... it has been LSX converted!

We still have a few small issues... I found out it isn't a corvette fuel rail after looking for the return line but I'm informed this can be corrected with a corvette fuel filter which also has a regulator built into it. I'm just wondering what do I need to do with my current regulator? Can both be used?

Can I make my V6 Heater Hoses work?

The A/C hose looks like it's going to hit the belt, do LS1's have different A/C hoses?

Comment

Any more updates?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                  Hello everyone!
                                  by Andy H
                                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                  3 weeks ago
                                • 3.4 slow to go
                                  hey there strangers!
                                  by 3.4 slow to go
                                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X