No announcement yet.

Firebird W68 - My LSX Swap thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Firebird W68 - My LSX Swap thread.

All I can say is wow.

I feel bad for you going through this but it should help anyone on the fence about this swap.

This thread just proves the point that unless you have a complete donor car and can do the work yourself you should sell the V6 and buy a factory LS car.

Comment

Originally posted by transamtom1 View Post
      All I can say is wow.

I feel bad for you going through this but it should help anyone on the fence about this swap.

This thread just proves the point that unless you have a complete donor car and can do the work yourself you should sell the V6 and buy a factory LS car.
      Yeah I will admit I'm never doing this again, next time Im just going to buy an LS car and swap a new motor into it instead once it gives up.

I have photos btw of the internal motor damage. The crank is rusted, all cylendar walls are caked in rust, the motor wouldnt even turn it was so bad. The oil pan is filled with yellow / brownish sludge, completely wasted a low mileage 5.3L due to negligence. Also wasted my freshly built transmission and if I didnt post what he did on LS1Tech he would not have covered the full extent of the damage either.

Edit: I will note my current shop has been very good so far... No delays with them whatsoever, prompt responses, very good price...lets just hope the labor holds up.
      Last edited by Need4Camaro; 10-03-2013, 01:17 PM.
      1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

• This thread help me on my decision on not doing the swap in the end. Sorry about all the trouble you have gone through

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Yea, It would have been very cheap if I had the ability to do the labor myself, its the mechanics who didn't give a piss about my car who ruined this project, I could have even worked around the wrong transmission but I guess it works out because I now have the correct transmission AND the motor I really wanted (6.0) and down the road with L92 heads and a cam I will be pushing 500 flywheel HP without even going F.I.

I just hope things go right this time around, this is the last chance for this car.

Comment

Does this sound a bit fishy? I called the Machine Shop where my new motor was being machined at on Monday morning and they told me per Friday evening they finished it. So I emailed my previous mechanic and told him it was done and asked him when we could arrange to meet to swap motors (my rusted block for his new one.) He didnt respond. So I waited a day and emailed him again and once again no response. I then called him and no answer, left message - no response either via voice mail or email. So I called the machine shop and asked them if they still had the motor and they told me they called him and he came down and picked it up, but he's not responding to any of my emails or calls... I'm not in dire need of that motor as I have alternatives but he still ruined my previous motor...

If I cant get it by Friday I will have to wait an entire new week...and it will cost me more because I will have to buy my own motor because every day my car sits in the shop costs me time and money...

What do you guys feel though?

Comment

Go down there and confront him face to face. Don't get the police called on you for being too irate though. Keep it as polite and civil as possible. If he still doesn't make things right, let him know that you will be filing a lawsuit and head straight to the court or your attorney and get one started. It is way beyond time to end this ordeal...
              aka FreedStyle
              Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
              2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by CFreed11 View Post
                Go down there and confront him face to face. Don't get the police called on you for being too irate though. Keep it as polite and civil as possible. If he still doesn't make things right, let him know that you will be filing a lawsuit and head straight to the court or your attorney and get one started. It is way beyond time to end this ordeal...
                Yeah I may have to do that, unfortunately I can't do it right now because Im at work, the earliest I can go there in person is Friday because our hours overlap.

Comment

Okay, so he emailed me back and told me I could pick up the motor - money for transmission, but he also told me he wants me to sign a document from his attourney basically stating he's released from further liability from damages to my vehicle...in other words I can't sue him after picking the motor up.. Am I really that bad?

Comment

• Firebird W68 - My LSX Swap thread.

Wow. I haven't followed this thread in a while, but it sounds like you've had to deal with a nightmare. I don't care to know who this mechanic is or what shop he runs, but it doesn't sound professional in any sense. More like a shade tree shop, if anything.

Either way, it sounds like he's trying to cover himself in the event that any other problems surface, he won't have to pay to fix them. I would be very careful with this. It might be a good idea to get some advice from an attorney to make sure that you don't end up paying for more of his mistakes.
                    '99 Camaro
                    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Well. Okay I have news. I saw my car again and... Its a work in progress. The entire interior harness was replaced because the very first mechanic butchered it. The entire body and engine harness will be replaced with a V8 harness too.. surprisingly it's not going to cost a lot ... one thing that does concern me is that the V6 and V8 fuel pump assemblies are different so will their Wiring be different and will the V8 wiring work with the V6 assembly?

I picked up the motor. Oh BTW we confirmed my old motor IS a 5.3L and this new motor is aswell. The later models have flattop pistons. At first I was ganna go with the 6.0 but my shop gave me a deal in installing a cam and springs in the new motor.

The previous mechanic was pissed. He didn't have the documents ready for me when I arrived. ( and I gave him a WEEK of forewarning I can prove this) so he recorded the whole thing with a cellphone ... Why is he treating me like I'm some kind of criminal? Ok I did get a bit over the top with the parts store but they mislead me. His friend insisted on how he left his truck in the same place as my car but twith the heads off and didn't get rust in his engine and blamed it on the weather stripping of of my Hood. In either case be demanded that I can no longer come back to him regarding damages to my car. Also the motor he gave me has no lifters or lifter cups so I will be out of expense for those. Although I am very unhappy with his service (and I feel he nipped me with the lifter cups / lifter and lack of an installed can (he gave me a worn can but I'm ganna install something else.) I am going to let it die between me and him. I don't feel like going back and forth over it. It does sicken me though that he's a strong sponsor on LS1tech and everyone is fond of his work. It is like this was personally done against me.

I will have photos up later.

Comment

Photos -
                        Rust Damage to Crank

Comment

-------------
                          Water / Oil Sludge

-------------
                          Silver Faced Gauges Installed

Comment

-------------
                            Interior awaiting new carpet: (I really wanted to leather the seats but that will have to wait.)

On a side note, do you guys believe the damage done to my engine was severe? (my ex shop said a simple hone would have fixxed everything - was pretty pissed he had to give me a new engine.)

Comment

I'm glad you got at least something back, you should Dynamat the interior before the new carpet.
                              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Well, I was informed it will take longer than the end of this week, maybe even longer than the end of next week mainly because the carpet has to be made for my car.

How long does it normally take to make carpets?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X