My turbo build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
    Sounds like things are going great for your Camaro. Do a video. I would to hear the sound of that turbo.
    Thanks, yeah I could probably get the neighbor down the street to help with a video. I’ll see. Tomorrow I’m installing a backup camera in my truck, if it comes out decent I’ll install one in my Camaro.

08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

• Found a 220 amp alternator for the Camaro on eBay for $186 , should get it Wednesday, tweaked my back and knee trying to install the back up camera on the truck, probably start to finish it Monday. My old 200 amp alternator I’m going to try and rebuild it myself, found a guide online.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

• Going to remove the STB , it’s a little in the way. The T4 housing is kinda in the way for the tensioner bolt, so will see if I can fit a wrench on it. Socket won’t fit. Then the 2 bolts for the alternator, one on top easy, bottom will be tough. Going to try and pull it out tomorrow.

Comment

• Yeah should be able to get the belt off, supposed to get the alternator Thursday might be easy. Back and knee are still hurting so who knows.

Comment

• Got the alternator, mini pulley on it they suggest a 1” smaller belt so just ordered one. Back and knee is starting to feel better so hopefully when I get the belt I’ll swap out the alternators. 220amp on the left with black pulley , stock on the right. Huge difference. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0769.jpeg
Size:	3.28 MB
ID:	1578973
            Last edited by ssms5411; 06-08-2023, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• I didn't know that you can get an alternator qith smaller pulleys. Wouldn't that wear it out sooner too?

Comment

I didn't know that you can get an alternator qith smaller pulleys. Wouldn't that wear it out sooner too?
                My other 200 amp alternator lasted 12 years, it had a smaller pulley but not that small.lol They reworked the internals also to get 220 amp output. I’ll wait and see what happens.

Comment

• Disconnected the battery tender last night and wouldn’t start this morning. Put the tender back on for a hour and started right up. So basically if it’s not on the tender I need to throw the negative switch to kill the batteries.

Comment

• Got the belt today, got the 220 amp alternator in. It was pretty tight in there. Hands got scratched up a bit. Probably 5-10 minutes to swap alternators and 10-15 to route the belt. The 79” belt fits really good, tough to get on with everything in the way. Here’s some pics: Getting 14.6 volts at the batteries at idle.Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0771.jpeg Size:	3.17 MB ID:	1578981
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by ssms5411; 06-13-2023, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• Nice Steve. I hope that's the solution there.

That turbo looks right at home there. Is that turbo bigger than in yye grand national?

In that pic that turbo looks huge.

Comment

• Thanks Edgar, I forget what size mm the Gt35r is 60mm or 62mm. What’s in the Buick? Did a good quick search my Garret GT35R is 61mm and the Buick is 62mm. Found a tensioner pulley tool with the 15mm open wrench attachment. Couldn’t find the one I had $16 for the new one, would of saved me a headache and scrapes. It’s a must if you’re running a turbo in front of the engine.
                        Last edited by ssms5411; 06-14-2023, 05:02 PM.

Comment

• Finally finished my back up camera in the truck, ordered one for the Camaro, should be easier I hope. I just use Amazon $35 ones.

Comment

• Is that the one you just plug up to the cigarette lighter?

Comment

Is that the one you just plug up to the cigarette lighter?
                              No, plugs in the back of the double din stereo receivers. So you have to run the wires the length of the vehicle basically. I started at mounting the camera on the license plate and run the wires through the vehicle to the stereo. It can be a pain. Especially a truck the wires are zipped tied to the frame. That’s what killed me with my bad back and why it took so long. That and my bad knee.

Comment

• Here’s some pics, you can disable the brake switch by just grounding the wire. I can now watch dvds anytime and activate the camera. Getting the camera for the Camaro tomorrow will install this weekend.Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0779.jpeg Size:	2.56 MB ID:	1578990
                                Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X