Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor

I'm in the final stages...shout have her together and a sexy little audio sample for ya's within 2 weeks

Comment

Originally posted by nightrider2
      I'm in the final stages...shout have her together and a sexy little audio sample for ya's within 2 weeks
      Alright! Another completed hybrid!!!

My long block should be finished next week sometime, but I still have to purchase the cam and install it (along with the MegaSquirt). The cam is going to be nice and big with around .550" lift and 282* of adv duration.

Comment

Originally posted by Forced_Firebird
        Russell, I am still perplexed as to how you were able to use the stock 3400 pushrods when the height of the hyd flat and hyd rollers are two different lengths, and there is no adjustment with the roller fulcrum rockers on the later gen3 3x00's?
        Well...See that's the thing. i was talking with a friend of mine and i got to thinking that the 3400 was only partially me because the car was stolen and taken to a mechanic by my parents/fiance (g/f at the time) who didnt think i could get the job done quick enough. they wanted the car out of their front yard. needless to say i only got partially done when i found out that the car was being worked on by a mechanic.

the pushrods i got to work originally were from a 1996 Gen III 3100 engine (yes. the 1996 was a gen 3) that i pulled out of a junkyard. now, yes - i had the engine running initially with 3100 parts, and a 3.4L bottom end, making it an almost 3400/3.4 hybrid. differences were head design and valve size as well as rocker ratio (the original gen 3 heads before 99 used stamped steel rockers that were non-adjustable as well.)

everything ran great. the car was given to the mechanic with the heads (again...not my doing) and was given back to me. i have no idea what the mechanic did and when i get a minute or two (planning my !@#$ wedding atm) i will go out and measure my pushrods to see how long they are.

as far as i know they are stock gm pushrods, but i won't know until i measure them. i dont remember saying i used stock "3400" pushrods, only that i had bought a set of pushrods that were for the gen iii heads from GM for the inital build.

hybrid - \'\'hI-br&d - The offspring of a cross between species.
        Co-Founder West Coast F-Bodies
        West Coast F-Bodies Car Club - WCFB Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by black34v6
          Well...See that's the thing. i was talking with a friend of mine and i got to thinking that the 3400 was only partially me because the car was stolen and taken to a mechanic by my parents/fiance (g/f at the time) who didnt think i could get the job done quick enough. they wanted the car out of their front yard. needless to say i only got partially done when i found out that the car was being worked on by a mechanic.

the pushrods i got to work originally were from a 1996 Gen III 3100 engine (yes. the 1996 was a gen 3) that i pulled out of a junkyard. now, yes - i had the engine running initially with 3100 parts, and a 3.4L bottom end, making it an almost 3400/3.4 hybrid. differences were head design and valve size as well as rocker ratio (the original gen 3 heads before 99 used stamped steel rockers that were non-adjustable as well.)

everything ran great. the car was given to the mechanic with the heads (again...not my doing) and was given back to me. i have no idea what the mechanic did and when i get a minute or two (planning my !@#$ wedding atm) i will go out and measure my pushrods to see how long they are.

as far as i know they are stock gm pushrods, but i won't know until i measure them. i dont remember saying i used stock "3400" pushrods, only that i had bought a set of pushrods that were for the gen iii heads from GM for the inital build.
          1995 and 1996 used stamped steel adjustable rockers, that's where I got my pushrods for my engine (not complete yet).

I haven't compared them to the length of the 96-up or the 00-up lengths yet.

I did measure the base circle of a flat tappet cam, and a GenIII roller cam - also the Gen1/GenIII lifters and found that there is about a .020" difference between them, from the center of the cam to the top of the lifters.

For people using pre-02 heads, they have a 10mm rocker stud tap, and the iron head rockers and stud will bolt right in place of the pedistal style rockers. Then using rockers from the 94-95 GenIII, they will be adjstable and should take care of the ~.020 difference in pushrod length (and still have the 1.6 ratio).

As an alternative, ARP makes 8mm and 10mm to 3/8's adapting studs - then 3/8's SBC rockers can be used.

Congrats on the wedding :D I'm married with 4 kids.

Comment

...For people using pre-02 heads, they have a 10mm rocker stud tap, and the iron head rockers and stud will bolt right in place of the pedistal style rockers. Then using rockers from the 94-95 GenIII, they will be adjstable and should take care of the ~.020 difference in pushrod length (and still have the 1.6 ratio)...
            the stamped steel rockers are 1.5 arent they? the ones i had were...unless you do the following:

As an alternative, ARP makes 8mm and 10mm to 3/8's adapting studs - then 3/8's SBC rockers can be used.
            I don't see any reason to muck with the heads. I'm using heads from a 2000 GAGT (thats what the ebay listing said) that were simply slapped on the car (no cleaning or anything...they probably need it) -- and everything runs great. im using the pedestal-style rockers too.

Congrats on the wedding :D I'm married with 4 kids.
            thanks. no kids in future plans yet...

back to the pushrods, something i wanted to add but apparently didn't - is that when i picked the car up from the mechanic, there was no line items on the invoice for any extra parts that had to be ordered by the mechanic, nor was there any mention of it while the car was being worked on (the guy would only call me as per my direction)

as far as i know, the pushrods i used to get teh 3100/3.4 setup working are the same pushrods that are in there now...

just something to think about.

-R

Comment

I know what push rods they are...and believe it or not your ALL wrong the ONLY ONLY ONLY ONLY pushrods that work are 89-91 3.1 fwd pushrods...the lengths are 6.042 and 6.389, I didn't mess with my heads either..not necessary
              Last edited by nightrider2; 01-25-2008, 06:40 PM.

Comment

I know what push rods they are...and believe it or not your ALL wrong the ONLY ONLY ONLY ONLY pushrods that work are 89-91 3.1 fwd pushrods...the lengths are 6.042 and 6.389, I didn't mess with my heads either..not necessary
                They are actually a little short with the pedistal rockers. Did you check the pre-load on them?

They should work fine for years to come, but you are not taking the full advantage of the cam profile - much like the FWD guys using a re-ground roller cam and stock p-rods. It's been done, but is not optimal.

Comment

Also I hope you used the FWD gaskets or the 3400 pistons will collide with the valves (that would make a .020" difference in the pushrod length).

Comment

hey F_F -- i know that guy. we've been talking a lot. he actually MEASURED his pushrods so im pretty sure he got what he could use. hes using all the right parts too...i've made sure of that...

Comment

They are actually a little short with the pedistal rockers. Did you check the pre-load on them?

They should work fine for years to come, but you are not taking the full advantage of the cam profile - much like the FWD guys using a re-ground roller cam and stock p-rods. It's been done, but is not optimal.
                      no they ARE correct I checked the pre-load and made sure. I spent a lot of time investigating them and they work

Comment

What method did you use to check the preload? It should be ~.010"

Knowing GM, I'm almost positive that the Gen1 and II lifters are the same for simple parts interchange, but now you are adding the non-adjustable pedistal mount to the equation. Are you sure that the base-circle-of-cam to top-of-pushrod is the same on a GenII as a GenII hybrid? As long as the center of cam to the top of the pushrod hasn't changed in a GenIII, then this would be correct.

I need a couple more measurements from the stock GM parts and a judgement call will be made for my motor. Can't have anything go wrong - looking for 500+hp once the boost is back on.

Comment

yes i'm positive....but than again i have a cam for a gen1

Comment

yes i'm positive....but than again i have a cam for a gen1
                            Understood. Again, what process did you use to check preload?

I'm concerned that the top of the pushrod moved form the previous generations to the 3x00's due to geometry of the valvetrain.

Comment

you cant check pre load with dry lifters ;)

Comment

you cant check pre load with dry lifters ;)
                                DOH!

Prime the oil pump, and rotate the engine, lol.

Yeah, guess they are brand-new, eh?

Nice thing is, though, the GenIII valve covers come off a lot easier than the Gen1's

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X