Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor

The head gaskets are the only part I am confused about, I have heard 3.4 or 3400 but I lost my notes. All the intake manifold gaskets and the throttle body gasket are 3400 (obviously because they are 3400 parts) and everything having to do with the block (front cover, oil pan, rear main seal, timing, whatever) is 3.4. As for a parts list I will try to think, hopefully black will chime in....
    From a 3400:
    Throttle Body
    Upper & Lower Intake Manifolds
    Heads
    Pistons
    Fuel Rail/Fuel Injectors
    Pushrods
    Some Temp Sensor & Plug (I forget the part numbers)

I think that's the basics.

Comment

That was a lot sooner than I was expecting lol thanks. I think I've read that both 3.4 and 3400 head gaskets can be used, but the 3.4 is a bit thinner and would give a little higher CR. So 3400 gaskets for the manifolds up, and 3.4 for the block. The only one I was really confused about was the lower intake manifold. Does that also use the 3400 gasket? I would assume so, but I just wanna make sure.

And are you sure the 3400 pushrods are used? I was sure they said stock 3.4...

Comment

Lower intake manifold uses the 3400. Actually that gasket was redesigned recently to prevent leaks so make sure you get the new and improved gasket. The 3400 pushrods are used. I asked that same question a while back, i forget what page it is on. The intake and exhaust pushrods on the 3400 are different lengths and you are using the 3400 heads which are made for the different length 3400 pushrods...

Comment

I used the pushrods from a gen 2 60*v6

as for head gaskets you need to measure how far the pistons come above the deck, if its 0.005 or less you can use the iron head 3.4 gaskets, if its more than 0.005 you must use the 3400 head gasket(any less than 0.035 quench and the piston can hit the head)
          Wolf<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/249111/7\" target=\"_blank\">95 black t-top camaro</a>,3.4 5 speed,ud pullies,plugs/wires,de-shaft tb & gutted airbox, homemaid short throw shifter

Comment

Originally posted by FireShadow
            The head gaskets are the only part I am confused about, I have heard 3.4 or 3400 but I lost my notes. All the intake manifold gaskets and the throttle body gasket are 3400 (obviously because they are 3400 parts) and everything having to do with the block (front cover, oil pan, rear main seal, timing, whatever) is 3.4. As for a parts list I will try to think, hopefully black will chime in....
            From a 3400:
            Throttle Body
            Upper & Lower Intake Manifolds
            Heads
            Pistons
            Fuel Rail/Fuel Injectors
            Pushrods
            Some Temp Sensor & Plug (I forget the part numbers)

I think that's the basics.
            What about radiator hoses and throttle cable?

Comment

Originally posted by some_punk
              What about radiator hoses and throttle cable?
              nothing changes for the lower radiator hoses, the upper hose I had to add an extension

throttle cable, I used one from a 96 4.3 truck
              Wolf<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/249111/7\" target=\"_blank\">95 black t-top camaro</a>,3.4 5 speed,ud pullies,plugs/wires,de-shaft tb & gutted airbox, homemaid short throw shifter

Comment

Originally posted by wolf
                nothing changes for the lower radiator hoses, the upper hose I had to add an extension

throttle cable, I used one from a 96 4.3 truck
                what did you do for the extension? did you use the hose from 3400?

Comment

Originally posted by some_punk
                  what did you do for the extension? did you use the hose from 3400?
                  I use a piece of hose I had laying around (another iron head 3.4 hose iirc) I used the part with the sharpest bend I could to keep the hose off the belt

Comment

thanxs for the info that will help me in my goals of relieble 300 ponies nothing to crazy just the fact to kow i can take the average bemmer or benzo is good enough for me thanks again ill be in touch with reports of how thinks do and don't work

Comment

2002 and later 3400 rockers are the same as the 3500's. The only difference is that the studs were changed from 10mm to 8mm in ALL 3x00 engines.

To clear up other issues:

3500 heads and compression, 3500 heads (32.4cc chambers) and the 3500 gaskets with a 3.8" bore vs. the 3400's 3.75" bore will yield a SCR of 11.5:1. With the proper cam and tuning, this is streetable with premium fuel.

3500 LIM's will bolt to 3500 heads and vice-versa, but the ports won't line up, so don't waste your time trying. Here's a 3500 gasket on a 3400 head...
                      http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/100_3256.jpg

I'm John, some of you may know me from other boards, but seems like not too many people were interested here when I was posting about my engine...

I am in the process of building a 3.4/3500 to go in my 3rd gen Firebird to replace the turbo'd 3.1 iron head that was in there previously. The hybrid is then going to get re-boosted and 500hp is the goal.250rwhp N/A should definately not be out of the question when recently a 3500 just hit over 270whp on a chassis dyno, and is running 13's in the 1/4 riding in a Cavalier.

Russel, I am still perplexed as to how you were able to use the stock 3400 pushrods when the height of the hyd flat and hyd rollers are two different lengths, and there is no adjustment with the roller fulcrum rockers on the later gen3 3x00's?

Here are some pictorals...

Turbo build with iron heads...
                      http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t...ird/?start=all

Modified turbo kit for a member on another board...
                      http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t...ods/?start=all

Comparisons of top ends...
                      http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t...ics/?start=all

And finally the progress on the current build...
                      http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t...ild/?start=all

The engine is from a '95 Camaro and the heads are from a 2004 Malibu. LS6 springs are being used with different valve seals, locks and retainers, along with some shims. The top end, as you can see, is getting a fully mirror polished LIM, ported/polished heads, modified and polished chambers, gasket matched and bell-shaped UIM ports. I'm building my own headers (unless I run across a cheap set somewhere), changing the accy brackets, and using a remote resivoir P/S pump to make room for the future forward-facing headers.

I had a 75mm TB from a Cadillac Northstar modified to work with a RWD application, but got robed of some parts including a 260 cam, but that's another story. Now I need to find a TB that will suit the needs of this motor and a bigger cam is going in place of the 262 (much larger, actually). I will keep you guys posted as this project is almost ready for final assy and installation.

BTW, the 8mm dished (RWD Camaro) pistons are being used in this engine. A little combustion chamber work is also being done to get the CR closer to 11:1, then 3400 pistons will take their place for boost.
                      Last edited by Forced_Firebird; 10-19-2007, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Pushrods. Yeah. I had to order custom length pushrods last week so I am waiting on those to show up.

Comment

Pushrods. Yeah. I had to order custom length pushrods last week so I am waiting on those to show up.
                          Everyone has been using the 3x00 pushrods with good results. Russel's have been in his car for a few years now.

I will measure at final assembly, but if you used the 3x00 head gaskets (.060" compressed ht vs. 3.4 .040" compressed ht), there should not have been a problem. What head gaskets did you use?

Comment

I've changed so much stuff on this setup... At this point I am really just waiting for the end result. Hopefully in a couple weeks. Some time I will sit down and write down all that I did. And then probably cry when I realized how much I spent.

Comment

I've changed so much stuff on this setup... At this point I am really just waiting for the end result. Hopefully in a couple weeks. Some time I will sit down and write down all that I did. And then probably cry when I realized how much I spent.
                              I know how you feel. I recently got a good connetion for 3500 motors, and what I spent on a shortblock and 3500 heads, I could have had a tubular-k and drop the full 3500 in.

Live and learn.

If anybody is interested in 3x00 top ends modified to use RWD pistons, let me know. (I will sponsor the site if sales result).

Comment

Hey, what have people done for throttle cable brackets? It looks like I am just going to make one in the next couple of days.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X