Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor

Originally posted by 94maro
    As for the pushrods, I asked Black34V6 awhile ago about the pushrods because I was wondering the same thing but he said from what I remember he used the stock 3.4 pushrods.
    Yes infact I was told by a guy on 60v6 that it was far better to keep your factory pushrods! Simply because they will hold up better.
    1995 Camaro 3.4 A4<br /><br />CAI,IAT Relocate

Comment

Originally posted by Nikos95
      Okay getting started on this grand step.. I found heads, lower and upper intake, fuel rail and injectors. Now I know I need to get pistons, guessing the factory pistons from the donor motor work?!?!

Few questions are-
      1- do I need to replace my factory pcm now or will it run okay after this swap?
      2- will the factory exhaust manifolds fit and hook up with the swap?
      3- is there anything I am missing that I will need before I start this, this car is my daily driver, I will be devoting a day to doing this, so I can't really get half way there and find out I'm missing something.
      1. You don't need to replace your factory pcm right away, it will run but it won't run the best, if your going to do that don't mash the pedal all the time, because with the new top end you need retune the injectors to work right with the more air that is coming in. So eventually i would swap to a better PCM.
      2. From what Black34v6 has said you will need to get the RKsport headers because they are the only headers with big enough primaries and you will have to slot either the top or bottom bolt holes so u can bolt them on.
      3. You are going to need the 3400 Throotle Body and make sure you have the coolant inlet on the lower inake. Your also going to need a GM three wire temp plug, because the 3400 doesn't have the coolant temp in the head.

That's all I can remember right now but if I remember more I'll put it up.

Comment

1. You don't need to replace your factory pcm right away, it will run but it won't run the best, if your going to do that don't mash the pedal all the time, because with the new top end you need retune the injectors to work right with the more air that is coming in. So eventually i would swap to a better PCM.
        2. From what Black34v6 has said you will need to get the RKsport headers because they are the only headers with big enough primaries and you will have to slot either the top or bottom bolt holes so u can bolt them on.
        3. You are going to need the 3400 Throotle Body and make sure you have the coolant inlet on the lower inake. Your also going to need a GM three wire temp plug, because the 3400 doesn't have the coolant temp in the head.

That's all I can remember right now but if I remember more I'll put it up.
        Sounds like I might hold off on this project till spring comes around, then at least I can drive my other car while I do this, and get a megasquirt at the same time.

Comment

Yes, great info and a good read. I have a 95 with the 3.4L. Can you tell me which heads to look for as the upgrade? Just want to make sure I understand.

Kelso
          new camaro owner

Comment

The Heads should come from a 2000 and up Grand Am GT Because that is when the intake and exhaust valves were enlarged. That is the main reason for the mod ;)

Comment

Cool, thanks for the quick reply. I am working on expanding my knowledge of this car and the motor.

Comment

Originally posted by kelso gringo
                Cool, thanks for the quick reply. I am working on expanding my knowledge of this car and the motor.
                The motor code is the 3400 LA1, if you search for it, you can find a small list of cars it was used in.

Comment

As for the pushrods, I asked Black34V6 awhile ago about the pushrods because I was wondering the same thing but he said from what I remember he used the stock 3.4 pushrods.
                  I wonder what ones he is useing with the roller rockers? If I can avoid paying extra for pushrods that'd be great
                  Wolf<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/249111/7\" target=\"_blank\">95 black t-top camaro</a>,3.4 5 speed,ud pullies,plugs/wires,de-shaft tb & gutted airbox, homemaid short throw shifter

Comment

Originally posted by wolf
                    I wonder what ones he is useing with the roller rockers? If I can avoid paying extra for pushrods that'd be great
                    What push rods?!?!? The factory ones in your current 3.4 sitting in your f-body. Don't take the ones out of the donor motor. Everyone I have spoke to about this, that has completed the swap has said leave the factory push rods, or just replace them with factory replacements.

Comment

is it confirmed that pacesetters absolutely will not work with the newer 3400 heads?

man i dont wanna dish out the extra for rk's. :(
                      <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2265676\" target=\"_blank\">95 bright red camaro 3.4l</a>

Comment

What headers do you have to buy do they have to be for the 3400 motor or for the camaro motor??

Comment

you need rksport headers

Comment

Originally posted by notsonic
                            is it confirmed that pacesetters absolutely will not work with the newer 3400 heads?

man i dont wanna dish out the extra for rk's. :(
                            hmm
                            http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=60807
                            read my post in that thread(bad spelling and all)
                            Wolf<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/249111/7\" target=\"_blank\">95 black t-top camaro</a>,3.4 5 speed,ud pullies,plugs/wires,de-shaft tb & gutted airbox, homemaid short throw shifter

Comment

But what motor do you have to order them for the 3400 heads or the camaro heads for the swap to work or is the headers for a pontiac 3400 and a camaro the same? Wait I think im dumb :) 3400 are side mounted so those headers would never work right? so it has to be 3.4 camaro headers right?

Comment

Originally posted by griffmanzz
                                But what motor do you have to order them for the 3400 heads or the camaro heads for the swap to work or is the headers for a pontiac 3400 and a camaro the same? Wait I think im dumb :) 3400 are side mounted so those headers would never work right? so it has to be 3.4 camaro headers right?
                                Yes indeed, you just have to cut out one side of the bolt holes to make them actually bolt on. When you get them, you will see what I mean very quickly, and its simple. Unless someone here has a pic to show. So yes the RKSport headers for the 3.4 Camaro/Firebird

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X