Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor

Ok, looking back at my post I feel like a 'tard because EVERY question was answered 20x's lol.

So, as of this moment, I have a 3.4 L32 block completely stripped down. Only thing left to take out is the cam bearings.

I want to do this build, but since its confusing the hell out of me, I'm going to go step by step instead of trying to get ready to do it in a weekend.

My next move is to send the crank and block in to a machine shop, after that I can install my crank, rods and pistons. I'm shooting for 250 N/A.

So, P&P heads and intake,
    Stock 3.4 cam and lifters,
    RK Sports Headers,
    3400 donor engine (complete)
    3 wire GM temp sensor (Do I need to order this from GM or do I get this with the 3400?)
    Heater Hose Adapter via Aeroquip,
    Throttle Body Cable,
    Will LT1 Springs work still?

AND since the temp sensor is 3 wire, I can plug the other temp sensor and run the 3 wire to ECM and Dash right?
    Megasquirt doesnt seem to be terrible, but I can still leave the ECM to run the 4l60e while MS just runs ign/fuel right?
    Last edited by Bandit127; 03-06-2010, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Another question that occured to me while I was pulling a transmission from a bus..

For the Tuning, couldn't we use the 00+ GAGT fuel spark tables? It is essentially the same exact thing. Only difference is maybe stroke, otherwise, to the computer its the same.

Comment

as of right now I am running my L32( fuel only right now) on MS-1 on a V2.2 board and the comp is still running the transmission. MS is pretty easy once you get the hang of the tuning tables. It will seem like a lot at first just stay with it.

Comment

I know its been awhile since anyone has posted to this thread. But I am curious as to what some of the results were with this Mod? In the end was it worth it?

Comment

Ok so when you switched heads from the 99 did you use the intake and Injectors from it to or you runnin with new heads and still 3100 intake plenum and injectors

Comment

And the stock trans holds up

Comment

What kind of tuning needs to be done for this swap? Anybody?

Comment

for this mod you need the whole top end including intake manifolds, fuel rails and injectors. also to tune this engine if you have a 1993 auto or any year manual there is an OBD1 pcm you can get (back a page) if not or if your a little creative like me you can look into the Megasquirt tuning solution. basically it takes control of the fuel and spark system from your pcm but it requires a full tune and if you aren't willing to spend alot of time doing this its probably not the answer for you. my suggestion if you either way do the PCM first to get a feel for the tuning and then do the conversion so its not 100 new things at once. Also I belived some one asked before with a proper tune on either computer and a bump to 89 octane you can get a small improvement in power under the curve and better response.

Comment

• Hi All, If I am posting this in the wrong place, please move it (I am old and real bad with computers, so I apologize). I am hoping to find someone with a real love for the 3.4 that can help me. I am told it is a direct swap for the 2.8. I am looking to have someone sell me and install a 3.4 that might wake up and make my Blazer drive like a normal car. It has the original 2.8V6 and it is an embarrassing engine. I have a 1987 S10 Blaxer 4X4 that is in mint condition for its age. The interior looks like it was NEVER sat in and the engine compartment looks like it is still sitting on the showroom floor. The Blazer has it's original 62K senior citizen garage kept one owner miles on it. I am its second (senior) owner and it is still garage kept. It came with its original title. It was obtained from a dealer that got it from an estate sale. It still has the original paint. The 2.8 drives like it has a lawn mower engine. My wife's 4cyl Hyundai with her driving like an old person having sex will run circles around the 2.8. The 2.8 I think has 135HP in its stock trim and I am told that there is nothing that is available to really help that engine. I am not wanting V8 performance, just a decent driving car. I am hoping that I can get someone to sell me and install a 3.4 with the Grand AM intake or a better one (Edelbrock, Holley, etc... maybe?) a nice towing /RV cam. Nice set of factory aluminum heads cleaned up with minor bowl and flow work and new 3 angle valve job etc... Headers and exhaust. I know the last 90 degree 4.3's that came on Blazers got like 195HP, but they wont bolt up to a transmission that came with a 60 degree engine, so I am hoping that a 3.4 with some minor tweaks, some love (and money put into it) might make it run like a decent normal vehicle. I need someone that can make the computer work properly with it. My only other fantasy would be to find someone that can source out one of the new 2019 Silverado 4cyl turbo engines with its transmission, that has like 310HP stock from Chevrolet, from a junk yard and do that transplant and make it work. Please find a way to contact me if you can help.

Comment

• You may want to try checking the junkyards in your local area using this site: http://car-part.com/. As for installation I can't help with that being in Canada on this side.

Have you considered looking into swapping in a 3.8L v6? It is a little more powerful than the 3.4's and they are a dime a dozen in the wrecking yards. Heck, if you could get one of the supercharged ones out of the GTP's that could make for some real fun. What transmission does it have?

The other reason it may be easier to go with a 3.8 is because if you go with that motor and a 97+ pcm to wire up a 4l60e and the motor you could tune it with hp tuners. The problem with any of your options is how do you get it to talk to the in dash gauges?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
                        hey there strangers!
                        by 3.4 slow to go
                        been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                        10 hours ago
                      • ssms5411
                        Had to get another phone
                        by ssms5411
                        Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                        1 week ago
                      • ssms5411
                        Leaking front cover
                        by ssms5411
                        So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                        2 weeks ago
                      • transamtom1
                        Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                        by transamtom1
                        Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                        3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X