Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor

No problem at all, I wouldn't want to misguide anyone. The intake valve went to 1.76" i know for sure and the exhaust valve went to 1.52" i think. Just make sure the intake valve is 1.76" and you'll be set.

Comment

Great news man I found a top end from a 2001 grand am gt!! but i have some more questions if you could help me out again that would be great!! Here is what he lists "ncluded, upper and lower intake manifolds, throttle body, both cylinder heads with push rods and rockers, fuel rail with fuel injectors. I have pix, I will try to post them up sometime today.
      All parts have approx. 65K miles."

Now is the upper intake manifold and the plenum the same thing or will I have to find one of those??

I know I need the fuel rail but I cant use the injectors correct??

I know whate the stuff is when I see it im just not sure on terminologys:( I have had my camaro apart many times and have put it back together.

Comment

Yes the upper intake manifold is the same thing as the plenum so you are fine there.

As for the injectors you are actually going to want to use the injectors that come from the GT becuase they are bigger injectors and you stock injectors are already at thier max. But to use the GT injectors you are going to want to get the fuel injector wiring harness. All it is is the wires that go to the fuel injectors, it will unplug from the rest of the wiring so you don't need the whole wiring harness. Then you just take the plugs from the GT harnes and splice them onto your current 3.4 harness.

If you have any questions about what I just said don't be afraid to ask.

Comment

I cant wait to dyno this thing once its up and running:) Man this is gonna be something:) Is a cam worth getting?? I here mixed feelings. So what are you running motor wise have you done this mod

Comment

Well a cam will add a lil horse power, but you won't get the full advantage of it unless you get it tuned. And as of right now there really isn't tuning for the 3.4, the only real option you have is a stand-alone system like MegaSquirt.

As for what I am running, I used to own a 94 A4 3.4, I put a bigger cam in, better valve springs, 1.6 ratio rocker arms, and some other little things. It ran pretty good but not perfect because of lack of tuning. I got tired of it after awhile and sold it. And then later on I read about this swap and it made me want to get a 3.4 maro again so I bought one about 2 months ago. I haven't done anything to it yet, but I am planing on doing the 3500 top end swap and have pretty much got everything researched. All I need is the money to buy it all, which should happen by about December. And to answer your other question, no I have not done this mod I've just don't a lot of reading on it that Black34v6 has put out.

Comment

you say lack of tuning was a problem?? so what has changed?? What is a standalone system?? I guess ill look up that megasquirt thing:)

OH WOW!! That megasquirt thing looks complicated its a standalone peice of software that you run on a laptop or something. HMMMM hope there is a guide on here how to use it cause im gonna need it ;)

What is the supposed horsepower with that 3500 mod?? also nobody has said what the gains are or a rough guess on horsepower increase for the 3400 mod either?? I have searched the entire forum:)
              Last edited by griffmanzz; 08-07-2006, 10:59 PM.

Comment

It looks really complicated at first, but after you read about it and get to know the system better it gets a little simpler.

Nothing tuning wise has changed for the 3.4.

There is plenty of help on the internet and a lot of people are willing to help, so you won't be alone.

I know of one guy that is using it to run his 3.4, his name on here is TurboProject.

Comment

No one has done the 3500 mod yet so I can't tell you any numbers from that, but as far as the 3400 mod here is a link to Black34v6 most recent numbers.
                  http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...ad.php?t=15993

Comment

Hey man hows things goin for ya??? I got a question I found some used pistons, but can i use used pistonswill they fit in my motor.... im thinking wear and what if I get my motor apart and I need to hone the cylinder walls will they fit??

Comment

Things are good... What are the pistons from? As for using used piston I'm not sure, how good do they look and how much have they been used? It's a risky thing I'm not sure, I guess if the pistons were in really good shape then maybe I would use them, but if not then I probably wouldn't. Asking a local shop to look at them would probably be a good idea, they would know better than I would because they can look at them. As for them fitting they should fit just fine, honing the cylinder walls isn't like boring them, honing the cylinders is just cleaning the cylinder walls up.

Comment

Awesome post! Props! It was a very good read, Im a 3800guy but still very intresting good job!
                        MSN: inynn666@hotmail.com<br />1996 Arctic white -3800-<br />Pacesetter Headers & Y-Pipe, CAI, LS1 Dual Exhaust, LS1 Driveshaft<br />*15.17 @ 95MPH*

Comment

Man hope im not bothering you but I have used the search engine and have answered most of my own questions:) Its just that some of the things people consider common knowledge I dont know and this mod isnt terribly common;) So I do very much appreciate your help!!

My next 2 questions are 1- What pistons do I use I know for the 3500 swap you need 3400 pistons because of compression and bore but what about the 3400 swap obviosly the 3400 pistons are good but what about others is compression still an issue or could you use stock if you wanted to?? and 2 what pushrods should I use for the 3400 swap?? Do I need custom or can I buy a stock set if I need custom how do I figure length ?

Comment

Originally posted by griffmanzz

My next 2 questions are 1- What pistons do I use I know for the 3500 swap you need 3400 pistons because of compression and bore but what about the 3400 swap obviosly the 3400 pistons are good but what about others is compression still an issue or could you use stock if you wanted to?? and 2 what pushrods should I use for the 3400 swap?? Do I need custom or can I buy a stock set if I need custom how do I figure length ?
                            you'd still need the 3400 piston with the 3400 upper end or you'd end up with a cr in the 12's just like the 3500 parts

you will need custom pushrods if you want to use the 3400's roller rockers, to avoid that you can use the rocker arm studs and pushrods off a gen 2 2.8 or 3.1 and use the gen 2 rocker arms or 93-95 3100 rocker arms(1.6 ratio with built in oil deflectors,I have 'em on my iron heads at the present time)
                            Wolf<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/249111/7\" target=\"_blank\">95 black t-top camaro</a>,3.4 5 speed,ud pullies,plugs/wires,de-shaft tb & gutted airbox, homemaid short throw shifter

Comment

Okay getting started on this grand step.. I found heads, lower and upper intake, fuel rail and injectors. Now I know I need to get pistons, guessing the factory pistons from the donor motor work?!?!

Few questions are-
                              1- do I need to replace my factory pcm now or will it run okay after this swap?
                              2- will the factory exhaust manifolds fit and hook up with the swap?
                              3- is there anything I am missing that I will need before I start this, this car is my daily driver, I will be devoting a day to doing this, so I can't really get half way there and find out I'm missing something.
                              1995 Camaro 3.4 A4<br /><br />CAI,IAT Relocate

Comment

As for the pushrods, I asked Black34V6 awhile ago about the pushrods because I was wondering the same thing but he said from what I remember he used the stock 3.4 pushrods.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X