Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor

Originally posted by Forced_Firebird View Post

I'm going to be working on an OBD1.5/OBDI piggyback setup in March or so, I'll let you guys know for sure how that goes.
    trust me, we can't wait :)

Comment

Originally posted by Forced_Firebird View Post
      MegaSquirt works great. I recently had a customer buy a 3500 top end for his car, and is tuning with MS. The 3.4/3500 is faster than his LT1 Z28, and is running on premium pump gas (tune is still a little shakey).
      do you happen to know what his cam sheet looks like? And what version of MS is he using?

Comment

Originally posted by oh34v6 View Post
        do you happen to know what his cam sheet looks like? And what version of MS is he using?
        It's a Comp 272 with a little more lift and later intake valve closing event. I have the numbers jotted down in the shop, I'll try to remember to post them when I have them in front of me.

MS1 piggybacked to control fuel and timing only.

The FWD heads with LS1 spring seats, 2.2L Cavi seals, and yellow LS6 valve springs can see as much as .500 lift ;)

Comment

Why didn't he go with comp 105# springs?

Comment

if i use MS to compensate for the PCM re tune do i need to be able to control more than fuel delivery and spark timing? sorry for all the noob questions I'm just getting into 4 strokes and having so much of the engine computer controlled isn't helping

Comment

Originally posted by oh34v6 View Post
              Why didn't he go with comp 105# springs?
              Price.

The yellow spring package can be installed on a set of heads for about $130 and get you to ~6500RPM.

Comment

Originally posted by A fireman View Post
                if i use MS to compensate for the PCM re tune do i need to be able to control more than fuel delivery and spark timing? sorry for all the noob questions I'm just getting into 4 strokes and having so much of the engine computer controlled isn't helping
                You can have your stock PCM control the dash and trans etc while only using the MS for spark and fueling.

The stock PCM has wayyy too much spark advance for a high-compression motor. If you swap to the 3400 pistons, then you can get away with a stock tune, but won't be taking advantage of all the power that can be made ;)

Comment

Part List:
                  -3500 heads
                  -3500 lower intake manifold
                  -3400 upper intake manifold
                  -3500 & 3400 intake gaskets
                  -3400 head gaskets
                  -new longer throttle cable
                  -bigger fuel injectors from the 3500 and accompanying fuel rail
                  -pushrods from the 3500
                  -rockers from the original 3.4
                  -3.4 lifters
                  -3400 pistons
                  -GM 3-wire temperature sensor
                  -adaptor to go from the intake manifold to the heater hose from aeroquip
                  -Headers for the 3.4 Camaro/Firebird

Do I use the 3500 upper intake manifold?

Comment

im gonna try the 3500 swap soon,i dont like the high compression though,can another set of pistons be used to lower it a little maybe into the lower 10s or 9s?

Comment

Originally posted by theabyss95 View Post
                      Part List:
                      -3500 heads
                      -3500 lower intake manifold
                      -3400 upper intake manifold
                      -3500 & 3400 intake gaskets
                      -3400 head gaskets
                      -new longer throttle cable
                      -bigger fuel injectors from the 3500 and accompanying fuel rail
                      -pushrods from the 3500
                      -rockers from the original 3.4
                      -3.4 lifters
                      -3400 pistons
                      -GM 3-wire temperature sensor
                      -adaptor to go from the intake manifold to the heater hose from aeroquip
                      -Headers for the 3.4 Camaro/Firebird

Do I use the 3500 upper intake manifold?
                      Have to use 3400 UIM in a 4th gen fbody for cowl clearance, if you use 3400 pistons and 3500 heads, you will have 9.1:1 compression 3400 heads is 9.6:1. 3500 fule rail is returnless, need one from a 3100/3400. Pusrods are custom, but can check if the Gen 2 ones work for you, they haven't worked for everybody (did for me .060" preload).

3500 heads have a coolant temp sensor boss, but it needs to be drilled and tap for the RWD sensor.

Don't need any special adapters. Tap the hole in the 3400/3500 LIM on the coolant neck and use a nipple.

Comment

so, i can use both heads?? the 3100 or the 3400??

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4orNothing View Post
                          so, i can use both heads?? the 3100 or the 3400??
                          3100 and 3400 heads are identical after year '00. Then the early GenIII had small ports on them (and there was no 3400) - you can tell those by the longitudal lines on the upper manifold. All of these heads will require 3400 pistons if you dont want extremely high compression, except 3500 heads that can be 11.5-12.6 or so, and a tune will definately be required.

Comment

Greetings,
                            I'm new to this forum, so bon jour tout le monde.
                            I am on assignment in Baton Rouge, LA for a while. While out in the Bayou I found a 91 Chevy S 10 in nice shape... only problem was someone overheated the bag out of the 2.8 in it. I bought the truck and found all this out. It was cheap at $500 for a decent looking truck. I know it's not a Camaro or Firechicken, but it still has the 60 degree in it. Anyway, I went to the junk yard and bagged a 3.4 for $173 out of a '95 Camaro. I did the transplant, after cleaning and painting eveything put it in. After setting it up with a new timing chain and gaskets clutch (5 speed), I installed the stock TB on it and finally dialed it all in. I have 3 other s 10s - this one is the fastest. It blows the doors off the other two 2.8 trucks I have. One of the others has a 383 stroker running 12.10s.
                            I was looking to make more power so I started on the dyno at my buddie's shop. 117 RWHP and 145 RWTQ. Not so great. It feels alot stronger and spins 2 tires pretty hard, but as everyone knows, 4,500 later, nothing's left.
                            So, I started looking on Ebay for an Offenhauser Dual Port or Edelbrock torker II and 390 CFM holley. I stumbled on a GM experimental Weber carb intake to mount (3) 40 DCNFs. I bought used Weber 40 DCNF carbs on ebay and am getting ready to set this up. I also installed a 3" cat back exhaust from Jeg's and have a set of Pacesetter headers for a 2.8. They are beat. The A.I.R. flanges on each tube almost block 1/2 of the tube opening. Anyway, I cut out the A.I.R. bosses and welded the holes shut. I am going to install them soon with a high flow 2 1/2" cat. The next step is a Crane 272 H split duration / lift cam. 272/284 duration, 454/495 lift, 112 separation (I think) and advance the cam 4 degrees. A mallory distributor and eliminate all of the fuel injection crap. IO have a set of aluminum valve covers from an '87 Fiero (nice) - solves the oil leak problems with the cheesey tin covers.
                            200 HP? I hope. I was bored with all of the regular onions building V8 S 10s. Different is custom. I am hoping this thing holds together, it has 224 K on it.... Eh, it was cheap enough. It is spotless internally and I also added an engine oil cooler - $15 (junkyard, baby).
                            I have more, but I think I took enough of your time. If this forum takes pics, I'll post some of this bomb. Yo.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Max.

If you didn't mind going back to FI and put a stock 3400/3500 top end in it, you will be making a LOT more power ;)

Comment

there is only one max of the forums, and he does not share power.

jp :)

sounds like a wicked build

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X