No announcement yet.

Firebird W68 - My LSX Swap thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Firebird W68 - My LSX Swap thread.

Originally posted by 1997Canadian3.8 View Post
    Again these are problems that are not your fault. You paid for work to be done, it shouldn't have happened.

I'd lawyer up. Too much money and effort invested not to.
    Yeah but the problem is who to go after, I can't prove which shop did it without removing the heads, if the gaskets are bad then yea I could say my last shop did it, if not then it was still the shop before last because they provided me the block and had the heads machined and even then I also know he himself didnt do the machine work as I actually have the contact information of the machine shop who did the work and called them when they had my motor.
    Last edited by Need4Camaro; 12-11-2013, 06:15 PM.
    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Originally posted by alex553 View Post
      Man that sucks. As a last resort I would use a head gasket repair its like $5 and can't hurt to at least try it :/ its worked for me a couple of times
      X2 , I have used Bars headgasket repair with carbon fiber twice now on seperate vehicles with positive results.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
        X2 , I have used Bars headgasket repair with carbon fiber twice now on seperate vehicles with positive results.
        How long does that stuff usually last?

I also have a strange UI000 code - what is that? and I have a torque management failure code...could that be due to the misfires? or torque converter?

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Camaro View Post
          How long does that stuff usually last?

I also have a strange UI000 code - what is that? and I have a torque management failure code...could that be due to the misfires? or torque converter?
          Mines about a year and a half and the other is going on about a year. I don't know about the TQ Mang. mines turned off with Hptuners.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Mines about a year and a half and the other is going on about a year. I don't know about the TQ Mang. mines turned off with Hptuners.
            Okay well I have some slightly good news, I managed to fix the headlights. They have been down for so long that they probably were too stiff to come up so I manually raised them, now they work properly with the switch so there's no wiring problem there.

I can have the TQ Management tuned out?

Also do I need to have the VIN number on the PCM changed to the VIN of my car for it to be read at an emmissions station? What is the reason that everyone at Autozone, Advanced, and O-Riely's can read my PCM without any trouble but Jiffy Lube (emissions) cannot?

Finally what about the UI000 Code?

I'm still not fully ready to give in, probably because I invested way too much in this and it would kill me watching it go, I love my car but damn I need it to run and soon.

The shop offered me to bring it back in and if the gaskets were faulty they will replace them no charge to me, if it needs machine work though the heads will be around $150 to machine and then I gatta pay for the labor. I lost my job early November and even if I sell my car it will STILL be hard to get another car so this is not very easy for me anymore. I am going to try the stop leak and see what it does, when I get employed again I'll do a full blown headgasket job at a shop who also has a machine shop.

I really probably need to do the gaskets myself but am ever so scared of F-ing it up but I guess I cant really say anything because the last three shops couldnt do it any better.
            Last edited by Need4Camaro; 12-12-2013, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Which headgasket fix should I use? I saw one that stays in your cooling system. Is that safe?

Comment

Which headgasket fix should I use? I saw one that stays in your cooling system. Is that safe?
                Thats the kind I used , on my headgasket it made a perfect seal. I could see where it worked on the outer part of the head. The one I use is Bars headgaeket repair with carbon fiber, its about $60.

Comment

What if the head is leaking oil... >.>

Comment

Thats the kind I used , on my headgasket it made a perfect seal. I could see where it worked on the outer part of the head. The one I use is Bars headgaeket repair with carbon fiber, its about $60.
                    Is that the one that you can add to coolant or do you have to drain the system?

Comment

Is that the one that you can add to coolant or do you have to drain the system?
                      Just add to the coolant and let it run alittle bit so it goes through the cooling system. If its full then just take some coolant out.

Comment

Just add to the coolant and let it run alittle bit so it goes through the cooling system. If its full then just take some coolant out.
                        Ok. I am only curious, what do you think about the "Add to coolent" stuff for like $9.00 at autozone? I'm guessing you get what you pay for eh?

Also should I expect my antifreeze to change colors after adding this stuff? or clogged thermostats, heater cores, ect?

Comment

I've only used the Bars with carbon fiber so I don't know about the others except for the GM pills which people have used with success also. Mines been in a year and a half and it hasn't clogged anything. Its a grey color. I was going to drain it after it fixed the seal but I see no need to since its not affecting anything. In my bothers S-10 blazer it actually fixed the leak he had in his heater core and his had the stuff in there for over a year now without any problems.

Comment

I may have lucked out. Someone I know has a friend with a shop who will let me bring the car in and take it apart myself with some help and won't charge me much. Ganna see what I can find ... if it's the gaskets I'm going after my previous shop. If its the machine work I'm going after the shop before it. .How likely is it that Gaskets would give out right after an install?

Comment

They could have been damaged when they installed them. Or, like me, you might have a leaking head stud or bolt. I have coolant seeping out of my drivers side head thanks to a non-fully sealed head stud.
                              aka FreedStyle
                              Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
                              2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

I used ARP headstuds, MLS gaskets with copper spray and the heads were milled .015 so they were flat. I still had the drivers side head leak out the side of the head and thank god it didn't go into the oil. Used Bars and it pluged the leak and you can see on the outside of the head where it plugged it up.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X