No announcement yet.

Firebird W68 - My LSX Swap thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Firebird W68 - My LSX Swap thread.

For a heads up, I think I figured out what's been causing my head gasket leaks.

Read this, my motor has 862 Heads

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...8/#post5036600

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...8/#post5036600

I can't tell if they have the notch in them without pulling them off, but I know both shops used MLS gaskets.

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
    I used ARP headstuds, MLS gaskets with copper spray and the heads were milled .015 so they were flat. I still had the drivers side head leak out the side of the head and thank god it didn't go into the oil. Used Bars and it pluged the leak and you can see on the outside of the head where it plugged it up.
    If coolant gets into the oil (and I know this is bad) how much jeopordy am I in if Im not in position to change the oil even if I dont drive it? I have no tools whatosever where I am, I dont even have a way of jacking up the car and since I lost my job, ALL the money I get right now is going to survival.
    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

I'm going to undertake replacing the headgaskets myself, this is the first time I've undertaken a job like this. I've done basic boltons before without much trouble but headgaskets intimidate me, but I have to get it done because I need a running car and Im out of money.

What kind of tools will I need to do this?

Is it absolutely mandatory I have an air compressor?

What exactly is the order of removing the heads? I was guessing Fuel lines, Intake Manifold, P/S Pump, Headers, then finally the heads?

What gaskets exactly should I replace them with if they're notch'd heads, and what about if they're not notched? (I know notched means graphite but I need part numbers and where to get them)

What bolts should I get for BOTH the heads AND the headers? I need something cheap but effective but if I absolutely must I will use ARP. What kind of sealent do I need for those bolts?

Can I do this job without dropping the K-Member? Is there anything I should have them inspect when I drop these heads off at the machine shop?

Comment

I would rec going to the auto parts store and buying a Haynes manual for an LS1 camaro.

Comment

X2 for the Haynes manual.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I'm alittle worried about something.

I checked the oil again and got this:

What does this look like to you? new engine? - It actually looks more murky grey than green in person

Comment

Do you think I should Sue my old shop? I am not very pleased with how this turned out. Theres a good chance they used the wrong gaskets and I told them this and they want to charge $600 to repair it stating that they were only going with the information I gave them and he has no knowledge of truck motors ever using composite gaskets. I dunno. Is it worth the trouble? I am.just tired of this trilogy but I am also pretty pissed off.. The only slight problem is I can't confirm they used the wrong gaskets without removing the heads which I.can't do yet....should I keep fighting or take it as a loss and move on?

Comment

There should be a parts list on the receipt for the work. If not, they should have it readily available. Cross-reference that with the proper part number. If it come back that they used the wrong ones, pursue it.

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
                  There should be a parts list on the receipt for the work. If not, they should have it readily available. Cross-reference that with the proper part number. If it come back that they used the wrong ones, pursue it.
                  Thanks. The only thing is I know what Gaskets they used. They even told me. problem is I can't tell if those heads are compatible with them or not without pulling them. Some 862 heads have a notch in them. others don't. the ones with the notch can't use MLS gaskets. Without firm evidence ...and only a very very strong suspicion ... would it be wise to Sue?

Comment

You can SUE in small claims court...it is a court without lawyers...it is a court of "equity" that is, it is not formal...the judge decides...you can sue him for the entire amount you gave him plus the costs of a rental car plus court costs...at this point its probably the best thing to do. Maybe when he gets his summons, he might change his mind....or make him pay the bill for the repair at another shop....I did that and it worked years ago.
                    Phil

Comment

The bottom line is he put "your" parts together.
                      sigpic

Comment

Since they installed them I would make them warranty their work. Its not like you drove it to 9000 rpms and blew them out, so its something they did wrong. They should own up to it if they're a decent shop.
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

How can a shop be responsible for your parts?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                            The only way their going to be responsible is if they used the wrong head gaskets. If the heads are bad then its the owners and where he bought the parts is responsible. When I had my engine rebuilt in 02' I had a defective head that had a cracked valve guide and only found out after the rebuild when it smoked like crazy. It was my responsibilty to have them install another head it was like $300 out of my pocket. So yeah if something is wrong with the parts you used then its coming out of your own pocket.

Comment

I agree but he should have told you up front..."no guarantee with your parts...sorry"
                              Phil

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                                I provided the engine and heads, but I didn't provide the head gaskets, they ordered the head gaskets themselves and I have an invoice proving that . I know what Gaskets they used because they told me what they ordered. in this case whether my car came to their shop assembled or not doesn't matter because any car that comes in the shop is going to have a motor, installed or not its the shops responsibility to order the correct parts. it's no different than if someone were to drive a Honda into a normal repair shop for a headgasket and the ordered the wrong part and installed it , shop is still responsible because they ordered the part.
                                Last edited by Need4Camaro; 12-24-2013, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X