No announcement yet.

Firebird W68 - My LSX Swap thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Firebird W68 - My LSX Swap thread.

Originally posted by Need4Camaro View Post
    Okay well... my Wiring Harness is screwed up pretty bad. The shop has one laying around he may sell me... or I can send it back to have it reworked... suggestions?
    Depends whats wrong with the harness.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by Pewter02Camaro View Post
      So whats your total cost at now with all the repairs?
      After my mechanic botched my harness and headgasket and being delivered a faulty steering rack Im estimating around $7,000 ... but in consideration that it's a fresh engine and rebuilt transmission. Its still not horrific.

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
      Depends whats wrong with the harness.
      Im unsure of the specifics asside from missing wires but I was told it would be cheaper to just have another harness put on rather than trying to have HIM repair it.
      1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

I would go with the new harness see if it helps out.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I used a stock 99/m6 harness and pcm. The ONLY thing i had to do was run 1 wire from the inj -2 slot in the fuse box to the correct pin on the gray connector.

So I would say getting a new harness would be easiest

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Work begins on the Firebird today.

Motor / Suspension
            - Head Gaskets replaced
            - Transmission Cable adjusted
            - Wiring Harness replaced
            - Steering Rack replaced
            - LS6 Cam and Springs
            - LS6 or Typhoon Intake
            - 3 Inch Catted Y-Pipe
            - 3 Inch Catback
            - Strut Tower
            - Upgrade Front Suspension

Interior
            - Adding Silver Faced Gauges
            - Adding Manual Fan Switch, Interior Accent Lighting Switches and other small accessories.
            - Adding Black and Silver Leather to my seats.
            - New sound system, head unit with navigation, DVD, USB, Sirrius and MP3 support.
            - Kicker Speakers

Exterior
            - Repainting Ground Effects
            - Replacing Driver Side Ground Effect (Sticks out and can't be re-molded into place)
            - Repainting Rear Bumper and Rear Spoiler
            - Headlights Converted to 88 Truck Headlights to gain ability to use brighter bulbs.

Comment

Work begins on the Firebird today.

Motor / Suspension
              - Head Gaskets replaced
              - Transmission Cable adjusted
              - Wiring Harness replaced
              - Steering Rack replaced
              - LS6 Cam and Springs
              - LS6 or Typhoon Intake
              - 3 Inch Catted Y-Pipe
              - 3 Inch Catback
              - Strut Tower
              - Upgrade Front Suspension

Interior
              - Adding Silver Faced Gauges
              - Adding Manual Fan Switch, Interior Accent Lighting Switches and other small accessories.
              - Adding Black and Silver Leather to my seats.
              - New sound system, head unit with navigation, DVD, USB, Sirrius and MP3 support.
              - Kicker Speakers

Exterior
              - Repainting Ground Effects
              - Replacing Driver Side Ground Effect (Sticks out and can't be re-molded into place)
              - Repainting Rear Bumper and Rear Spoiler
              - Headlights Converted to 88 Truck Headlights to gain ability to use brighter bulbs.
              Looks like alot of work.

Comment

I want to shoot my old mechanic in the face.

The reason the headgaskets went is because the retard decided to reuse the old Headbolts...this is even after he lied and told me he bought new ones.

Comment

The reason the headgaskets went is because the retard decided to reuse the old Headbolts...this is even after he lied and told me he bought new ones.
                  i know how you feel man. mine did too he didnt want to give me my money back for destrying my original engine. but that was about a year ago .

Comment

I would file a complaint on his business, maybe BBB. If he doesn't refund your money for it.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                      I would file a complaint on his business, maybe BBB. If he doesn't refund your money for it.
                      Won't do much good as he isn't a business. More like a friend I met on LS1Tech who said he'd help out. I'd go after my money but it's going to be too much of a hassle getting it back and I doubt he has it anyway.

I have modified my plans a bit. I am going with a small cam, ported heads and intake since all this stuff is open. I wanted to use a Typhoon intake from Ebay but my shop is strongly against them as he say's they're heat sinks and will rob HP when it gets hot. Is this true? Is there any other intake worth looking into besides FAST or the LS6? I may just splurge and get a FAST intake but I'm not sure if I wanna spend $1,200 on that an intake manifold. Opinions?

Comment

I always here about the LS6 intake but the Fast is suppose to be the best.

Comment

if you can afford the fast I would get it. Otherwise I think ls6 is your best option

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Eh... Okay guys new dillema... The never ending story continues. My shop (and this is a shop that works with F-Bodies on a daily basis) is highly suggesting that I completely scrap my powertrain, and start over... I'm not sure if I want to. Mainly I believe he is saying that because it will likely be easier and possibly less costly than tearing down my 5.3 and finding more damage than just the headgaskets (especially if coolant got into the oil which is something Im very worried about.).

He has a brand new LS6 block he's willing to sell me pretty cheap but he also suggests I get the "correct" transmission aswell. - basically I'm looking at close to another $5k to finish my car if I go that route and I dont know if I want to do that.

If I fix what I have, Im not sure what the extent of the damage is but if its just the headgaskets and little stuff then it will be roughly $2k

He has a pullout from a LS1 car coming soon and can swap both the motor and transmission over to my car, he hasnt given me a price on that nor has he told me if he would take my powertrain in trade... but the one thing that steers me from it, is even though my powertrain isn't 100% correct, it IS mostly new / rebuilt and I really wanted a new motor / transmission at this point.

I was also lightly thinking of just finding a LQ4/9 long block and sticking it infront of my current tranny for now and replace the tranny later.

What do you think though?

Comment

I would have done some more research from the beginning and got the correct transmission to start with. I don't know how mechanically inclined you are or what tools your have access to, but you could have saved a ton of money doing this swap yourself..

At this point, I'd pull the motor and tranny. Pull the oil pan, valve cover and heads off and inspect the engine for any damage. Obviously all new gaskets when putting it back together. Ditch the transmission and find a pullout from and Firebird or Camaro that will bolt right up. I may even buy a harness pulled from one of these cars too just to be on the safe side.

Assuming the engine is good, you should be able to do what I've mentioned for under $1500... minus labor if you're having someone else do it. And NO performance upgrades until it's running right.
                              aka FreedStyle
                              Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
                              2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

I would at this point get the pullout of the LS1 if you have the money. That way you have the correct tranny also.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X