WarShrike's Project Thread - V6 Firebird - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WarShrike's Project Thread - V6 Firebird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WarShrike's Project Thread - V6 Firebird

Whats the difference in coils?
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I couldn't find the axle ratio in the list above. What are you running?

Also, the T56 you have, what's the first gear ratio in it?

Lastly, how did you acquire the "Mal-Wood" clutch housing adapter?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
        Whats the difference in coils?
        GTP coils are supposedly able to pump out a bit more than the stockers. Since I'm going FI, I figured I'd just knock that one out right there.

Originally posted by Hib Halverson View Post
        I couldn't find the axle ratio in the list above. What are you running?

Factory Options:
        GU6 & G80, AKA 3.42's and a posi. Something not commonly found in V6's outside the W68/Y87 packaged cars.

Also, the T56 you have, what's the first gear ratio in it?
        Using the GTO MN12 T-56, so:
        1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th rev
        2.97:1 2.07:1 1.43:1 1.00:1 0.84:1 0.57:1 2.90:1

Lastly, how did you acquire the "Mal-Wood" clutch housing adapter?

Thanks.
        Here's my tech thread on another forum: LINK
        Last edited by WarShrike; 06-17-2013, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Trying to learn more about your swap...

Ok, 3.42 axle with the 2.99 low gear makes for a 10.22 final drive in first, quite a bit less than the 12.11 final in first with a five-speed.

How much low-end/mid-range torque are you making with your engine?

Several years ago I math'ed out a bunch of different final drive choices using a T56 and the one which had the closest final-drive in first along with the best choice of ratios to fill the five-speed's void between first and second was the 2.97 low with a 4.10 axle. Gave the almost the same rations, 4th-6th, as the five-speeds 3rd-5th, but added two gears in the place of the five-speed's second gear.

I figured that'd be the best use of a six-speed.

Comments?

Comment

Trying to learn more about your swap...
            There's a lot of ground to cover for sure, but if you already have a T-5, it's a lot easier job than what I had (cutting open the car).

If I had a gopro, or if you were closer, I'd show you how the car feels/acts.

Too bad you're in Cali. Had a family friend that worked as a photog for Vette magazine back in the day (Rob Wallace III). He'd come out to snap some of my dad's stuff, made quick friends with him and his dad.

Okay, social call is over. On the engine/trans combo:

I have good low to mid range torque. I haven't put it on a dyno yet to get a good chart to see where it transitions and display the difference between running a big stall A4 vs. the T-56. Here's my dyno with the A4 and 3800 stall that was unlocked, it'll give you an idea of what it should be like:

My current NA engine was built with one purpose in mind, improved over stock, but still retaining good street manners and improved efficiency. I was getting almost 22mpg city with my stall. I'm getting close to that now with the T-56, but it is still rich and I am just now about to get to do some more tuning (time for tuning drives has been limited). I wasn't out to build some maximum effort V6 or trying to beat the snot out of some V8's/Imports. It was so I could learn engine building while still doing it with performance as the orientation.

That focus is quickly changing as I'm working more at things that will challenge myself as an engineering student and also display my skills, attention to detail, willingness to learn and also my capabilities and understanding of small displacement forced induction engines (where the market has started to shift).

1st gear is short, but still have enough revs to get you up to almost the speed limit on the street.

2nd gear you can start off of if you're patient and work the throttle right. If not you just bog down.

3rd is a good in between gear, especially during cornering transitions. 20mph-30mph can be a little low in the rpm range for accel though.

I can cruise at 45mph in 6th. If I need to accelerate though, I have to downshift to 5th unless I just want to accel really slowly

Biggest reasons I went with the T-56 is power and driving enjoyment. The T-56 will be able to handle what I throw at it, even when I go turbocharged for my next performance stage (400whp daily, 600whp on kill but built to do more than that power level to keep it within safety ranges and reliability). The T-5 doesn't handle that abuse quite as well.

I also wanted to test this adapter, it wasn't exactly advertised, but I found it during some extensive searches on the Aussie Holden forums. They have some cool things for the Ecotecs. This adapter plate is one of them.
            Last edited by WarShrike; 06-20-2013, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Looks good the power is up there throughout the power band.

Comment

Went to Coffee & Cars today with my daughter in tow. She had fun, just a day past 1 year old and looking to be a car nut :)

Comment

• Originally posted by WarShrike View Post
                  Went to Coffee & Cars today with my daughter in tow. She had fun, just a day past 1 year old and looking to be a car nut :)

I was going to go but I was tired and k.o dead asleep. If I knew you were going to go . I would of gone and also love to see you bird and its build. I like those wheels tho :thumbup:
                  What are they again?
                  Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

They're Speedline Mistral 6's. As far as I know, they might be the only set left lol!

You're in the Lubbock area now?

Comment

• Originally posted by WarShrike View Post
                      They're Speedline Mistral 6's. As far as I know, they might be the only set left lol!

You're in the Lubbock area now?
                      No sir still in Dallas specifically irving. But the trip to go to cars and coffee is worth it. Nice cars show up

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Oh. We have our own little gathering here in lubbock. Its rather nice.

Comment

Umm. It's big?

120lb/hr injector :)

More stuff to follow in the next few weeks but then I will probably go radio silent when school starts.

Comment

Dang thats huge!!! What on earth do you plan on running.

Comment

Turbo w/750 hp capability.

Comment

UMI Performance 3-point Subframe connectors are installed, still need to paint the weld points to protect them.

Here's a pic of the T-56 installed, you can see the adapter plate (barely) and the mods done to the cross member to accommodate said adapter plate.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X