WarShrike's Project Thread - V6 Firebird - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WarShrike's Project Thread - V6 Firebird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WarShrike's Project Thread - V6 Firebird

Installed headers and just started test fitting things with the new valve covers. Some bending of parts required...like the dipstick tube!

Time to take a quick break, get some fluids and go for another toss in the back seat!

Comment

Mating...hard, hot and heavy!

9:30 AM
      Started clearing a path to the car, half the bay is filled with the old OEM parts.

10:00 AM

10:15 AM

10:45 AM

Comment

11:00 AM Fighting a heavy engine and trans with a jack up front that keeps slipping down the smooth tubular K-member proves to be very challenging to line up.

2:00 PM Time to shower up and head to work.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Comment

Fine adjustments, remembering where thingie A goes into slot B...

Pushed the car into the garage, neighbors probably though it had been towed finally after sitting in my drive way from June 2009 to January 2010.

In the Duke's Pit of Despair!

Looking like a car again!

Coil bracket mounted to firewall, had to move it an inch over towards the intake as the prong on the coil pack was on the brake booster.

Still working...

Comment

First Start

First started the car with the new build on January 26 2010 at 9:00 am. My neighbors had contractors doing work in their garage, and they came out looking down the street wondering where the speedboat noise was coming from...

View Video on FQuick

And so the long road to recovery begins. After over six months of a slumber, it is time to do some physical therapy on the car. Little bits here and there needed tweaking, adjustment, and even replacement due to failure and lack of experience by the builder.

Comment

Teething problems and terrible twos...

First issue:

Shortly after starting up the car and driving it only a short amount of time, the Cometic MLS head gaskets I had installed had begun to leak. I pulled the valve covers and retorqued the heads, but to no avail.

I ordered a new set of gaskets, and used the steps of MLS head gasket preparation outlined by FlinGTP (link). I forgot to do this the first time around. These things are very dirty, I was amazed at how many paper towels I had to go through while prepping them for copper gasket spray:

I used the metal Fel-pro problem solver intake gaskets the second time around (Part # MS 98014 T). These can be seen here:

Second Issue:

The transmission finally gave up the ghost, after being rebuild shortly after buying the car in '02. I am led to believe it started going out while it was on the dyno last time before tearing the car down. It finally crapped out when I put it on a dyno again, it only made 106hp and 134ft/lbs as the trans couldn't put the power down.

I trailered it to Amarillo to Precision Transmissions and had the knowing hands of Richard build the trans. This guy has built many amazing 4L60's for F-body customers. This setup should be good for around 600hp and at $1300, that's one heck of a deal.

Third Issue:

I figured out that the valve springs were not going to cut it. With discussion between members here, John at 60?Inclusive and John at SDPC, I went with bigger springs. I went from COMP 105# springs to PAC 130# springs.

PACS on left, Comps on right:

Up next, lessons learned.

Comment

And so far this is how it sits and what is currently installed at the moment:

Exterior Modifications:

8000K HID's
                Debadged, trim delete and rear filler panel is now devoid of the firebird name and logo.

Performance:

Whisper Lid
                Intense S1X NA Cam
                Yella Terra 1.7 Platinum series roller rockers
                PAC 130# springs
                60?Inclusive ported heads and intake
                Manton Pushrods
                LS7 lifters
                Fabricated Valve Covers
                Force Fed Fabs Longtube Headers
                3" Spun Metallic Cat
                TSP Rumbler
                Whisper Lid w/ K&N Filter

Suspension/Chassis:

Front:
                BMR 32mm Solid swaybar + Poly endlinks/bushings
                PARacing Tubular K-member RR
                HAL QA1 12-way coilovers
                Rear:
                LS1 19mm swaybar + Poly endlinks/bushings
                UMI Performance LCA's
                UMI Performance Adjustable Torque Arm
                HAL QA1 12-way shocks w/ WS6 rear springs

Drivetrain:

Aluminum Driveshaft
                Yank Torque Arm Relocation Cross member
                TCI Super Street Fighter 3800 stall w/ 2.1 str
                4L60E built by Richard at Precision Transmissions in Amarillo, TX
                Hayden 1405 trans cooler

Electronics:

HPTuners
                PLX Wideband

And for the days I need traction at the strip, Formula twist spokes with a nice set of drag radials:

Comment

Things I'm waiting to install are a set of LS6 injectors to deal with the high duty the stockers are seeing.

Put on my Speedline Mistrals after they're powdercoated (originally campaigned on an SCCA World Challenge Camaro) so they're a little rough when I got them. Very rare wheels.

Install Ram Air hood and custom air box.

Comment

That's about it so far, I'll keep posting in here as new developments take place. Feel free to post away, ask questions, etc. etc.

Lessons learned:

I'm down to only tuning the car, getting the WOT tune lined up, hit the local track to see my times and run it on the dyno again to get some numbers.

After over a year since the project started, I've learned a lot of things and looking back on it, I would have done a few things differently.

1. Buy another engine and build it so I'm not without a daily driver. I rode my bicycle almost full time, racking up over 1000 miles from teardown. This would have allowed me to do the whole build without being without my car and also could have done a fully focused build without trying to get the car done asap.

2. I would not have bought the Yella Terra rockers (YT6333). If I could have found a set of roller rockers that worked under the stock valve covers, I would have used them instead, even if they were $100-$200 more than the YT's as the taller valve covers alone were around $300.

3. I would have had the rotating assembly fully balanced. Had I known how long it would take me to get the build completed, I would have had it taken care of by the local machine shop for that added insurance and just a little more efficient operation.

But I am enjoying the car entirely right now. I have to have fun with it, or else it isn't worth it.

Video of it idling open headers and with full exhaust installed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyVjFEK_70c

Also had a new plate done to clarify things for those who don't know ;D

Comment

Wow, this is an amazing read. You really put a lot into your project.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Installed LS6 injectors to deal with the current stockers just getting too close to maximum duty.

Getting started!

LS6 connector from Casper's Electronics:

Spliced into the harness:

Injector Spacers:

Back to tuning!

Comment

Wow man, Im very impressed. Great build, great thread, and thanks for the tips I picked up while reading this, I am going to be doing a cam swap/build this spring, and after watching the video of the first start up, I am even more excited.
                          :tup::tup::tup:
                          3M MAFIA
                          ________
                          | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
                          Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
                          sigpic

Comment

Wheels are finally getting powdercoated this week...

Comment

Originally posted by WarShrike View Post
                              Wheels are finally getting powdercoated this week...
                              Nice , what are theey going to look like? Are they ZR1's ,LOL
                              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Something the shop had on hand that was close to the sport silver on the C5Z speelines.

It is this set of wheels from a few posts up:

Speedline Mistral 6's, and I have yet to find anybody else online that has them.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X