X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harmonic Balancer

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
    got some quesitons...

so i got a used engine to put in my bird, the used one has the old style balancer with big rubber nasty-ness on it, and the engine in my car does not, it has the later style. i would like to keep the later style, what would that involve?

what is a case relearn??

would the different balancer from a different engine throw off the harmonics?

Did you read this thread at all? :twak:
    Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
      As long as the case relearn is done on it to let the pcm know what firing order the crankshaft is firing for the new balancer it will be fine,
      I'd just like to through in a cautionary note. I'm not sure about the 3.8, but many rotating assemblies are balanced using the harmonic balancer.

Some high performance balancers require your engine to be balanced with the stock damper
      so...the first quote says i can put whatever balancer i want...the second quote says that i will need to balance my new one for the existing rotating mass....i read the post
      Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

so...the first quote says i can put whatever balancer i want...the second quote says that i will need to balance my new one for the existing rotating mass....i read the post

The second quote is wrong.

Read ONLY my posts, and the last one from ssms5411 on 12-22-2008.

Raven

Comment

so, in conclusion, i can swap my later style, as long as i get a case relearn right?

I work on diamler chrysler vehicles all day, im not a gm guy.
          Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

so, in conclusion, i can swap my later style, as long as i get a case relearn right?

I work on diamler chrysler vehicles all day, im not a gm guy.
            It is a CASE (Crankshaft Angle Sensor Error) Learn. You MUST tell the year. Since you already have a later car, just use your actual year.

Raven

Comment

thank you sir.
              Team NoVa

Comment

im about to change mine i have a 02 bird and got a 00 to 02 balancer i dont need a CASE alarm right? is there like a spec of torque for the bolt or do i just take it off and swap it?

Comment

Originally posted by silverbird02 View Post
                  im about to change mine i have a 02 bird and got a 00 to 02 balancer i dont need a CASE alarm right?
                  Yes you do.

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
                    Yes you do.
                    so i do need one? can i just take it to a mechanic, would they know how to do it or to dealer ship?

:poke:

Comment

Dealership or someone with HPtuners. Dealer would charge around $75 or more to do it I would think. I would call and ask before hand or call around to local trust worthy mechanics and see what they charge.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                        Dealership or someone with HPtuners. Dealer would charge around $75 or more to do it I would think. I would call and ask before hand or call around to local trust worthy mechanics and see what they charge.
                        My Chevy dealer did it for free. In the parking lot. Method #1 per below

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=94511
                        Last edited by FirebirdGT; 03-06-2009, 08:52 AM.

Raven

Comment

thank u sir:rock:

Comment

regarding this, i changed my clutch/cut the flywheel down and did not do this case relearn thing, that was back n september, should i get it done?

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                              regarding this, i changed my clutch/cut the flywheel down and did not do this case relearn thing, that was back n september, should i get it done?
                              No, it has nothing to do with your mod.

The CASE learn is to program the crankshaft position sensor, which reads indexing on the backside of the balancer.

Raven

Comment

how much is a balancer and how hard is it to change i heard you need a special tool?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X