Harmonic Balancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harmonic Balancer

this would be simple bolt and go correct? i wouldn't have to do a CASE relearn because i'm not switching to a new style right?

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident View Post
      this would be simple bolt and go correct? i wouldn't have to do a CASE relearn because i'm not switching to a new style right?
      My switch to the later balancer had nothing to do with a CASE relearn. ANYTIME a balancer is replaced it must be done - unless you don't have a crankshaft sensor.
      Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

wow... guess that rules out me gettin a new balancer :)

does that mean when i put my old balancer back on after the rebuild i have to do a CASE relearn?

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident View Post
          wow... guess that rules out me gettin a new balancer :)

does that mean when i put my old balancer back on after the rebuild i have to do a CASE relearn?

OK, you don't get it.

The balancer should be replaced, but you don't need to do a CASE relearn unless you have a crankshaft sensor. Which I'm not sure is on a 3.4.

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
            OK, you don't get it.

The balancer should be replaced, but you don't need to do a CASE relearn unless you have a crankshaft sensor. Which I'm not sure is on a 3.4.
            haynes manual says i do.

Comment

I'd just like to through in a cautionary note. I'm not sure about the 3.8, but many rotating assemblies are balanced using the harmonic balancer. If yours is bad, you should replace it with the same one same model year. If you put on a different balancer from a later model, you could throw the balance off and your engine may vibrate excessively which will lead to bigger problems.

Some high performance balancers require your engine to be balanced with the stock damper and then you can replace them with the high performance unit. Most fluid type and elastomer type balancers just reduce the harmonics of the engine while other types like the TCI rattler absore the harmonics.
              69 Camaro 350 4spd, Full Hotchkis susp, Baer brakes, moser 12 bolt, Flowmaster<br /><br />96 RS Hotchkis STB, subframe connectors, Hotchkis LCA and adj Panhard rod, SS camaro sway bars, Bilstein shocks, powerslot rotors, Borla exhaust, rksport headers, k@nFIPK

Comment

still need to get a new one for my car....just don't drive her enough to get one
                WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by Den69RS96 View Post
                  I'd just like to through in a cautionary note. I'm not sure about the 3.8, but many rotating assemblies are balanced using the harmonic balancer. If yours is bad, you should replace it with the same one same model year. If you put on a different balancer from a later model, you could throw the balance off and your engine may vibrate excessively which will lead to bigger problems.

Some high performance balancers require your engine to be balanced with the stock damper and then you can replace them with the high performance unit. Most fluid type and elastomer type balancers just reduce the harmonics of the engine while other types like the TCI rattler absore the harmonics.

Let's get clear that this discussion is ONLY for the 95-1/2 and 96 3.8 engine. These are identical to the 97 which was the first year to get the new style balancer. The balancer was then used on the 3.8 until the end in 2002.

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by Den69RS96 View Post

As long as the case relearn is done on it to let the pcm know what firing order the crankshaft is firing for the new balancer it will be fine, my Dad who worked for GM for 40 years thought the same thing , have to use the same year balancer because it is weighted for that year/model, but the 96-02 use the same crankshaft. So the case relearn will correct the firing order so the balancer will work fine. If not, after the case relearn the car would still through PO300 code, crankshaft code or he would hear the engine knocking. I had mine replaced 4 months ago , and if I would of known about the 97' balancer I would of done it also. But my 96' balancer does fine so when it goes out I'll either get a 97' or a ATI balancer. Robert you should make this a stickey or How to, so people could know about it and upgrade theirs when the time comes. BTW good info.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

hi everybody im new here but i was looking for a harmonic balancer for my 02 bird but the balancer r on back order on gmpartsdirect those anybody know where i can find one?

Comment

Originally posted by silverbird02 View Post
                        hi everybody im new here but i was looking for a harmonic balancer for my 02 bird but the balancer r on back order on gmpartsdirect those anybody know where i can find one?
                        advance auto, napa, pep boys, auto zone

Comment

ive checked those places and they only have for the V8

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
                            Let's get clear that this discussion is ONLY for the 95-1/2 and 96 3.8 engine. These are identical to the 97 which was the first year to get the new style balancer. The balancer was then used on the 3.8 until the end in 2002.
                            Originally posted by silverbird02 View Post
                            ive checked those places and they only have for the V8
                            take a look at the above post, i guess the balancers are the same from 97-02' so in that case you can buy one for a 99' v6 3.8 and it should work

Comment

well i found one on zzperformance idk if it will work

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=650&catid=111

Comment

got some quesitons...

so i got a used engine to put in my bird, the used one has the old style balancer with big rubber nasty-ness on it, and the engine in my car does not, it has the later style. i would like to keep the later style, what would that involve?

what is a case relearn??

would the different balancer from a different engine throw off the harmonics?
                                Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X