Harmonic Balancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harmonic Balancer

It is amazing what a new balancer can do.

No more vibration at high revs, or in the shifter, on in the clutch pedal!

This should be considered a maintenance part.

I also installed the 97+ balancer which is just better in design than the 95-96 version.

My local Chevy dealer did the CASE Learn for FREE. :rock:
    Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Re: Harmonic Balancer

Good to hear, never heard of upgrading the balancer before to a 97'. But as long as it works thats good, too bad I just had mine changed like 4 months ago. I have no problems running my 96' up to 6000 rpms. I also was looking at some ATI balancers their pretty sweet. Robert I forget did we change your RPM limiter to 6000 rpms? I know I did the speedo and smoothing out the timing tables.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

how do you know if your balancer is bad? what determines that?

Comment

On mine it made a knocking sound at idle and got worse when I would rev it or drive it. Plus the insides of the balancer was dry rotted throwing off the balance. It was fine one day then the next day it started knocking. Almost thought it was a rod.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

well i'll have my balancer off this spring for my build, i guess i'll have to check to see what condition it's in, being a 93 and all.

the replacement balancers i've seen cost like 200$ though....

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
            On mine it made a knocking sound at idle and got worse when I would rev it or drive it. Plus the insides of the balancer was dry rotted throwing off the balance. It was fine one day then the next day it started knocking. Almost thought it was a rod.
            And that is the problem with the 95-96 style. It's a big piece of rubber. After 12 years and 240,000 miles it was completely bad. You could see it wobble and it was hitting the crankshaft sensor shield behind it, making an intermitant noise - "knocking" is a good way to put it.

No wonder GM came out with a whole different style for 97+.

Old style
            http://www.tacreationsusa.com/images.../959738bal.jpg

New style
            http://www.tacreationsusa.com/images.../980238bal.jpg

Raven

Comment

so is the 93 style ok?

Comment

Robert , thats pretty good gettting 240,000 miles out of it. I got about 160,000 out of mine, but I think that running the Powerdyne for those 4 years put alot of stress on all the pulleys, so far I have replace both metal pulleys, Alt., A/C, power steering, balancer, and getting ready to replace the water pump. So that will make all the pulleys replaced.

Comment

didn't know harnomic balancers can make that much of a diff
                  Last edited by Leonard 3.8L; 12-22-2008, 09:06 PM.
                  Leonard
                  www.fquick.com/96V6Junkie
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard 3.8L View Post
                    didn't know harnomics balancers can make that much of a diff
                    They do since they control the ing. timing on how many revolutions the crank is spinning and telling the spark plugs to fire, so when out of balance it will cause a random misfire since it doesn't know which cyl. are firing at what time. On mine when it went out , I heard the knocking right away when I was at idle so I had it fixed within a day or 2. It never through any codes. I just narrowed it down by taking off the belt and starting it up and the knocking was still there , plus the balancer while looking at it was wobbling.

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident View Post
                      so is the 93 style ok?
                      That's the 3.4, so you only have one choice. This discussion of styles only applies to the 3.8.

But if you haven't replaced the balancer, I would recommend it.

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                        Robert , thats pretty good gettting 240,000 miles out of it. I got about 160,000 out of mine, but I think that running the Powerdyne for those 4 years put alot of stress on all the pulleys, so far I have replace both metal pulleys, Alt., A/C, power steering, balancer, and getting ready to replace the water pump. So that will make all the pulleys replaced.
                        Oh, it was going long before I changed it. The engine is so quiet now.

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
                          That's the 3.4, so you only have one choice. This discussion of styles only applies to the 3.8.

But if you haven't replaced the balancer, I would recommend it.
                          well now would be the time to do that with my engine apart.... it's only got about 95k miles on it, but then again it is 15 years old.

any ideas where i can find a new one that isn't 200 + $ ?

Comment

I would look on gmpartsdirect.com , for the 3.8's they were only like $100 or something like that, just get the part # for it and look it up.

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident View Post
                              well now would be the time to do that with my engine apart.... it's only got about 95k miles on it, but then again it is 15 years old.

any ideas where i can find a new one that isn't 200 + $ ?

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

GM PART # 10146863
                              CATEGORY: Engine Crankshaft and Camshaft Balancer
                              PACK QTY: 1
                              CORE CHARGE: $0.00
                              GM LIST: $249.67
                              OUR PRICE: $147.98

OR

http://www.gmpartsdepartment.com/par...?siteid=214533

Raven

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X