Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: a4 to m5 conversion

you can use the stock one

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

will it be the correct height? or will i need to make a spacer?

Comment

The crossmember in my car was the same as the M5 crossmember? It had that dip in the middle. Is the transmission supposed to stick through the shifter hole i cut by like 1/4 to 1/2 inch? I am doing all the finishing touches to the swap tomorrow night, like the wiring, tranny fluid and bleeding clutch. I dont know how you did the job with jack stands. It was tough at times even with a lift and tranny jack.

Comment

ok, after doing the swap theres a few things i want to add to this. It is a million times easier to get the auto tranny off if you take the inspection cover off. You will also have to take off the starter and the two brackets that connect to the tranny. Once it is off unbolt the torque converter and stick a prybar between the flexplate and torque converter. Mine slipped off the first push. The right and left lower brackets on the tranny are the same for the auto and manual. I will upload a exploded view of things with part numbers.

Comment

I got these from the dealer, they will help you figure out if you have all the parts you need transmission wise for the swap.

Attached Files
            Last edited by Rangersltw; 03-21-2010, 12:20 AM. Reason: making pics visible

Comment

can i use the 6 spd center console out of a ls1 car??
              Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Hopefully I'll be doing my swap here soon.
                Last edited by kallador; 05-12-2011, 09:57 PM.

Comment

MeatyShells
                  I tried sending a PM but yours is full.
                  I was just wondering where you got most your parts from for this

Comment

Good luck on the conversion, I went from a M5 to A4 becuase I can't use a clutch anymore, but I also like the A4 with tunning , shiff kit and Vette servo , they are faster shifting than a M5. Next thing is a 3200 9" stall.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

kallador, i would watch out, borg warner transmissions were NOT found in 99 camaros, they were all sold through tremec at that time.

i would make sure that transmission is not from something else, or one not described to you correctly.

Comment

Once I blew my first M5 in my 96' I got a M5 from a 00' I think and it was a Tremec on it becuase GM dropped Borg warner and started using Tremec. Like cam98aro said make sure its out of a F-body car and not a mustang becuase the shifter will be 18 degrees off from where a F-body shifter sits. I just looked at your post if you got it out of a 99' F-body you'll be fine all 96-02 M5's will work , just like all 96'-02' A4's will work on M5's just have to cut the side braces off to put a A4 in a M5.
                        Last edited by ssms5411; 09-07-2010, 07:23 PM.
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Actually, Borg Warner sold their design to Tremec and Tremec just slapped their logo on it and called it theirs. Nothing is different, the design was the same from 95-02.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...id=p2759.l1259

This is the transmission I am considering getting. Anyones opinions are appreciated. I am considering doing the swap. My A4 with a shift kit blew out second gear. It's been in and out the past 2 weeks so it's probably just a matter of time before it's for sure gone. Guy I bought the car from and bought warranty from went bankrupt, frauded us and said he purchased a warranty for us but pocketed money. Tranny shop quoted 1700 for rebuild but I think I could get all the parts for a new T5 for cheaper.
                          Still wondering where meatyshells or anyone whose done this got most their parts from. GM quoted me ridiculous prices today.

Comment

that trans seems rather expensive IMO.

i would pick a junkyard one up for $150

Comment

Low mileage trannies around here go for about $400-450, I got my A4 for $430W/tax with 1100 miles on it. My total build was about $1200 with labor, since I was recovering from my stroke and couldn't do much at the time. Thats including a Transgo shift kit$80, Speartech wiring harness $190, shifter$40, cable new $40 and vette servo$20. new flywheel $100 and the tranny reworked alittle.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-02...Q5fAccessories

well i was originally looking at this one but it gives no kind of mileage and I'm sure these transmission are from totaled vehicles so you have no idea what you're dealing with and it gives no kind of warranty either. the other one claims to be a remanufacured new tranmission w/at least a 1 yr warranty. if anyone knows of any other sites that sells these w/resemable prices then please let me kno. I already called local junkyard, they rarely even gets good condition camaros in there and most of which are 94 and later so no good there.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X