Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: a4 to m5 conversion

well you need a lot of parts.
    when you think about it, there's not much of a difference between rebuilding/buying a new auto and swapping in a manual.

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

If you can find a whole donator car you can probably get it cheaper.

Comment

Hey shells when you finished your swap was the tranny kind of lop sided?

Comment

not sure what you mean, but the way it is designed is the tail is a little offset and the shifter comes out at an angle to fix it i think

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

I mean like this I'm not sure if the tranny is suppose to look like that. But I'm not sure if it is or not.
            transmission

transmission

Last edited by LETZRIDE; 01-18-2020, 12:46 PM.

Comment

r u sure the bellhousing is bolted to the tranny in the corrct place? look likr maybe u need to take the bellhousing/tranny off ur engine, disconnect tranny from bellhousing & turn tranny 1 bolt whole towards the passangers side!
              Last edited by devilsalmostfree; 02-15-2009, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Yeah it's correct it looks lop sided but it bolts right into the car with out any problems.

Comment

yeah that is just how they are, no worries

Comment

Originally posted by devilsalmostfree View Post
                    r u sure the bellhousing is bolted to the tranny in the corrct place? look likr maybe u need to take the bellhousing/tranny off ur engine, disconnect tranny from bellhousing & turn tranny 1 bolt whole towards the passangers side!
                    yeah, you cant do that unless you want the shifter to be poking the passenger

Comment

• Re: a4 to m5 conversion

If you look at the bell housing, the 4 bolts that attach the tranny to the bell are rotated 18 degrees to the right (passenger side) on Camaro / Firebird trannies. I don't know why they do this. I have a 78 Toyota Celica that I installed a 3.5 aluminum V8 in and used a Z 28 M5. The bellhousing is a 'straight up' bolt pattern on the V8, not the 18 degree rotated style. This put the Z 28 tranny angled toward the passenger side. I had to compensate by cutting the shifter and angling it toward the driver. I think all of the Cam / Fires had the rotated bolt pattern. I also found that using an M5 out of an S10 pickup will work with a conventional straight up bellhousing. The S10 M5 tranny has the 'straight up' bolt pattern. I had to change the tailshaft because the shifter is in a different position on the S10. Confusing? Uh huh. :(
                      I have a '91 S10 that had a 2.8 weezer in it :tdown:. I swapped a 95 Camaro 3.4 into it and ran a 16.39 spinning the tires all the way through first and part of second. I am looking for an LSD to see if it will run into the 15s or quicker. I am using the original TB fuel infection not tuned. I hope to change the computer / injection to the multi port Camaro injection but think that a carb swap will be easier. It dynoed 117 hp / 142 tq at the wheels with an untuned TB. I think it will gain 30 HP when tuned since the dyno chart showed it running way lean.
                      I know you guys are only into Cam / Fires, but the 3.4 is a nice engine - I was surprised. I went through similar crap converting the 3.4 auto to a manual. The flywheels are way different from the Camaro to the S10.

Comment

"rec new tranny mount (Im using the 1le mount)"

what is that?

never mind, i figured it out.
                        Last edited by Rangersltw; 07-27-2009, 08:15 PM. Reason: solved

Comment

Why does the computer need to be retuned after swaping transmissions?

Comment

because the computer will still think you have an auto trans and throw a million codes, also your speedo will be wayyyyyy off

Comment

Wow those two bolts on the top of the tranny really suck. Im having a lot of trouble with the one on the passenger side, all the others are out but that one. Crossmember is undone and were pulling the tranny down, but it seems like its still just not enough room :-/ Just gotta keep trying.

Comment

and is the auto tranny mount the same as the 5spd one? the one on my car looks pretty new and i am planning on reusing it. I have the 5spd crossmember.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X