X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aluminum Driveshaft

Originally posted by Smoke Panther
    well, following that logic, changing the DS isn't going to effect that either. Swapping driveshafts isn't going to change your where or how wide your powerband is. Also, this is a technical forum so get out of the habit of paraphrasing technical terms if you want to be understood properly.
    lol wow I dont even know how to respond to something as inept as that, so i wont. Im not ganna ruin this thread agruing with the likes of you.

Comment

Originally posted by mlsFiT
      lol wow I dont even know how to respond to something as inept as that, so i wont. Im not ganna ruin this thread agruing with the likes of you.
      dude your full of ****... I had a 3.4L, I also swapped out the driveshaft, and rear gears... none of that changes the fact that it falls on its face up top.

that is do to the head/intake/cam, nothing to do with the drivetrain.

all a lighter driveshaft does is create less rotational mass, so less drivetrain loss in power.

with your thought process, if you swapped to a lighter flywheel, driveshaft, and lighter wheels, then your powerband will move up? That is flat out not true.

the car will free rev better though, and you won't notice it with a driveshaft but you will see a loss in "initial" torque.

Comment

Originally posted by DAS BOOT
        dude your full of ****... I had a 3.4L, I also swapped out the driveshaft, and rear gears... none of that changes the fact that it falls on its face up top.
        I didnt say anything about the power band moving. Im saying the lighter drivetrain allows me to rev higher before shifts with out feeling like im STRESSING the car out. Im reving the car out an extra 300rpm to get that 5mph more, its not magically appearing... I was just trying to explain that the aluminum DS will let you rev higher in gear if you swap out from a 2 piece. Im not saying you can instantly rev to 8000, or that you will make 15hp. But you will finally be able to take it to 5500 like you are saposed to with out the car feeling like its going to blow up. The car has to work that much less to spin the aluminum DS so it frees up a few hundred rpm (i.e. I used to shift at around 5200, now I shift at 5500) Im sorry for not explaining that any further than I did, I didnt know it was going to become a huge ordeal...

Comment

"THUS another 5 mph is to be had before it "falls on its face". "
          key word being: before

Comment

well got my Aluminum Driveshaft, going to press out the u-joint in it get a new one and hope everythings go perfect.....wish me luck

Comment

"THUS another 5 mph is to be had before it "falls on its face". "
              key word being: before
              SO you go 5 mph faster in the gear because you rev the car more rpms?

Is that what you are trying to say, because that makes no sense even with a 2piece, 1 piece steel or whatever, IF you rev the car to a higher RPM you will see more mph.

It has absolutely has nothing to do with the extra weight, its just the fact you are revving the motor higher.

When I shift the car at 2000 rpms in 1st I am shifting at like 15 mph, when I shift at 3,000 I am shifting at like 25-30, when I shift at 6,000 I am at like 55 mph.

all of it has nothing to do with my drivetrain, unless I change gearing or tire size. Its all related to when I shift my car.

The motor falls on its face at around 5k, you can rev it to 6k and get more rpms, and more mph out of it, but you are progessively losing hp when you do this. That is why you shift and get back in the powerband. You can rev it out and shift outside of the powerband, your mph will still increase but your rate of acceleration will slow down.

I can rev my 5.0 to 6k rpms, but pointless, because do to restrictive flow of the lower intake, it loses power at 5200, so I shift and stay in the powerband.

IT will do no better to rev that much higher, you will getting less hp out of the car, then if you had shift. The driveshaft does not fix the problem with the airflow in the motor, so it does not change things.
              Last edited by DAS BOOT; 07-15-2007, 07:05 PM.

Comment

The motor falls on its face at around 5k, you can rev it to 6k and get more rpms, and more mph out of it, but you are progessively losing hp when you do this. That is why you shift and get back in the powerband. You can rev it out and shift outside of the powerband, your mph will still increase but your rate of acceleration will slow down.
                This is what my trying to explain, thank you. I got another 5mph before my rate of acceleration slows. When the car is in gear, the pistons, rods and crank can only spin as fast as the driveshaft will let it. The aluminum DS "free'd" up some usable RPM.

Comment

This is what my trying to explain, thank you. I got another 5mph before my rate of acceleration slows. When the car is in gear, the pistons, rods and crank can only spin as fast as the driveshaft will let it. The aluminum DS "free'd" up some usable RPM.

what?!?!?! you are make no sense what so ever. There is no ****ing way that the driveshaft made it so you can spin the motor past 5k rpms.

YOU WERE ABLE TO DO THAT BEFORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the driveshaft does not limit how much the engien can spin... what limits your motor from spining...

-Rev limiter
                  -If you remove that, the strength of the rotating assembly in the motor spinning until you blow the motor(I did this with a 2.8L similar to a 3.4L)

Go take your driveshaft out, I bet your motor spins to your rev limiter just like it does with any driveshaft is in.
                  Last edited by DAS BOOT; 07-15-2007, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Better yett go buy this!!!

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=3&pcid=209

then your motor will spin to 10k like a rotary, and you will make eleventy more hp.

Comment

That's awesome. Any v6 guys have that in their car? BTW, they come stock from factory in Nissan 350Z track.

:)
                      09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
                      sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

what?!?!?! you are make no sense what so ever. There is no ****ing way that the driveshaft made it so you can spin the motor past 5k rpms.

YOU WERE ABLE TO DO THAT BEFORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the driveshaft does not limit how much the engien can spin... what limits your motor from spining...
                        Of course I could have done it before, but not with out losing my "rate of acceleration". Your right it doesnt limit how much the engine will spin in total RPM but it makes it easier on the engine due to the lower rotational mass. Like I already stated, you wont be able to instantly rev it to 8000rpm... It simply free's up a few hundred usable RPM. The extra 5mph was already there but due to the 2 piece drive shaft the rate of acceleration slowed before the extra 5mph could be obtained...

Comment

then your motor will spin to 10k like a rotary, and you will make eleventy more hp.
                          We are talking the mph that can be achieved before losing your "rate of acceleration" but you obviously dont get that...

Comment

We are talking the mph that can be achieved before losing your "rate of acceleration" but you obviously dont get that...
                            :stp:

:)
                            09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
                            sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

Or maybe its just that you refuse to believe me, thats fine. I just dont know how I can make what I already tried to explain any more clear...

Comment

I understand what your trying to say... But its basically whats already been explained, and your taking it further.

The aluminum driveshaft, being lighter, makes for less rotational mass. Your saying that your motor is not straining to spin the ds anymore like it used to.

I'm not sure if thats really true or just in your head, since I'm not sure if that is really affected in that way, but I do think that is what your trying to say.
                                2000 v6 a4 Camaro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X