This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum Driveshaft

I have a 98 Camaro. I am currently using the stock 2 piece driveshaft with all the mods listed below. I am running a 75 wet shot. Should I upgrade to a 1 piece driveshaft? How long you think mine will last? I dont want it to break and end up stranded. Help please?

[ June 05, 2002: Message edited by: Dom ]</p>

In 1999 GM started installing one-piece steel DS on automatics ONLY. See the Technical Database, General. All other cars have the two-piece DS.

Get a 1LE one-piece aluminum DS.

[ December 28, 2001: Message edited by: FirebirdGT ]</p>
    Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

What do the two piece look like? How can I tell if its a two piece? I know your right I just would like to know how to tell.
      White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bu-bye:
        What do the two piece look like? How can I tell if its a two piece? I know your right I just would like to know how to tell.<hr></blockquote>

Two short DS, connected together. Center bearing is attached to the Torque Arm.

Raven

Comment

can i change my two peice to a one peice.
          would it be stronger. and wiser for my automatic 96

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bubba:
            can i change my two peice to a one peice.
            would it be stronger. and wiser for my automatic 96
            <hr></blockquote>

Yes, the 1LE one-piece aluminum DS will fit any year, manual or auto.

Raven

Comment

So ??? Do you think im ok? Or should I swapp it out?

Comment

I'd order an aluminum one just for the sake of it. I definately can say that you do not have an aluminum driveshaft, but IF you order one, you no longer have to worry about a 2 piece one, AND you're freeing up some Rear Wheel Horse Power... which is always lovely [img]graemlins/evilgrin.gif[/img]
                <b>Sean: 1994 Camaro daily driver</b>

Comment

really? More power to the ground?? That sounds wonderfull. Can anybody tell me if you have done this and if you have or have not noticed a difference on power to the wheels? I think im gonna do it just wondering what I should expect.

Comment

how does that actually give you more power to the ground that you will actually notice other than having a some what lighter piece on the car? Is there really that huge of a difference on a aluminum ds to a 2 piece iron one?

Comment

If they made a driveshaft out of lead, you'd have a slower 1/4 mile time than if you used an aluminum one. (I know they don't make lead ds's it's just something to think about).

Same thing with lighter rims/wheels... lighter weight means less rotating mass. Less rotating mass means quicker et's. There is a formula or math equation explaining this. I don't know it's exact words but I know other people on here should have it.

I read somewhere that going from the 2 piece to aluminum driveshaft gives you something like 7 rear wheel horsepower. Even if it dosen't I'd still rather have an aluminum one than that two piece one. Do a search for aluminum driveshaft on this site... I know this was a topic a few months ago.

[ December 31, 2001: Message edited by: Liquid Silver ]</p>
                      <b>Sean: 1994 Camaro daily driver</b>

Comment

Re: Aluminum Driveshaft

4th generation LS1 aluminium DS will fit 4th gen v6. No matter auto or manual.
                        Stock 2piece is heavy as ...
                        It is not stronger than steel, but if you are not pushing at least 450 lb/rwtq you shouldnt worry about it.
                        Aluminium is lighter and will release a few hp.
                        Should I expect to "feel" them - no.

Comment

Omg!!!! Dead Thread Flt!!!!!
                          2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT
                            In 1999 GM started installing one-piece steel DS on automatics ONLY. See the Technical Database, General. All other cars have the two-piece DS.

Get a 1LE one-piece aluminum DS.

[ December 28, 2001: Message edited by: FirebirdGT ]</p>
                            then is it as big of an upgrade for me to go to from a 1 piece steel to a 1 piece aluminum?
                            1999 v6 Camaro M5
                            Automatic to Manual converted
                            Pacesetter Headers, 2.5" Custom True Duals with X-Pipe and Magnaflow Bullet Muffers,
                            !cat, Intake, 3.42's with LSD, MSD Wires, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Short Shifter, Tuned PCM

Comment

yes it is actually. we are not talking about a nut busting tire fryer mod but you should notice a difference.
                              2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X