Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor

you cant use the cam or the lifters from the 3400.

you have to get a camshaft that is flat tappet hydraulic, or pull the one from your 3.4 RWD motor -- either way, cannot use the roller lifters. period.

look closely at my pics at : http://camaro.adwire.com/modpics

it will show you how i got everything to work. DO NOT GO OFF OF THE IDIOT ON FULLTHROTTLEV6.COM. Wolf doesnt know what the @%! hes doing and i wont be surprised if he comes off with the same or more problems that i've had.

there are much cleaner ways to get everything to work. i didnt eliminate any hoses or equipment on my swap. (except for the TB heater portion...but thats cause i live in California)

hybrid - \'\'hI-br&d - The offspring of a cross between species.
    Co-Founder West Coast F-Bodies
    West Coast F-Bodies Car Club - WCFB Message Board

Comment

That will definately help. Yeah, I pulled the lifters cause I'm scrapping everything else. I'm trying to get maximum return on my investment so that maybe I can end up getting this for even cheaper ultimately..lol. I'm keeping the rods/pistons and the top end though.
      2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SE D20 M5 - Modified ;) <a href=\"http://www.knightenmotorsports.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.knightenmotorsports.com</a> <br />[ U R L = h t t p : / / w w w . g e o c i t i e s . c o m / h e a r t l a n d _ h e a t _ v 6 ] Heartland Heat V6 [ / U R L ]

Comment

lol. definitely. maybe you can resell the lifters/cam on ebay or something, i dunno.

good luck with that.

Comment

Ok, i just found this forum and tried to read through all 20 pages today and i'm afraid I may have missed something. From what i read here this is what i believe i will need:
          -3500 heads
          -3500 lower intake manifold
          -3400 upper intake manifold
          -3500 & 3400 intake gaskets
          -3.4 head gaskets
          -new longer throttle cable
          -bigger fuel injectors from the 3500 and accompanying fuel rail
          -pushrods from the 3500
          -rockers from the original 3.4
          -3.4 lifters
          -3400 pistons
          -GM 3-wire temperature sensor
          -adaptor to go from the intake manifold to the heater hose from aeroquip
          -RKSport headers for the 3.4 Camaro/Firebird

Thats all i could find. I know some people have said that the headers and some of the brackets have to be modified but other than that do I have all other required parts listed here. I would like to get all the parts and have this done by July. Any help would be greatly appriciated.
          Last edited by cochran.191; 05-01-2007, 06:43 PM.

Comment

you need to use the 3400 head gaskets - the 3.4 head gaskets are too thin and will increase compression. you also need to use the rockers from the 3500 heads, as they are special and you cant mix the two together.

everything else is correct.

Comment

Thanks, one last question. Would it be better to try to find all of these parts used or go to the local GM dealership and order them new? I know new parts would be better than used but would it be worth the extra money to get them all at once or save some money and maybe take quite a bit longer to find all of the parts?

Comment

i got all my stuff offa ebay. just make sure you clean and inspect it...

Comment

Yes, ebay is the way to go. You can find stuff brand new on ebay too, the heads I got have never been used, nice and shiny =) oooohhh shiny.... I also happened to luck into the entire top half of a 3400 that had everything else I needed just about. Then lucked into a gasket and bolts set (brand new). Just keep looking and stuff pops up. Good luck.

Comment

A quick question to throw out there. Should I scrounge up some stock pistons from a 3400 or get some made from ross/wiseco/arias one of those places? Later on I plan on running nitrous on this thing, just looking for suggestions.

Comment

Depends on how far you wanna go. 125hp worth of nitrous should be okay with the pistons as long as you get your timing and fuel right.
                      2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SE D20 M5 - Modified ;) <a href=\"http://www.knightenmotorsports.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.knightenmotorsports.com</a> <br />[ U R L = h t t p : / / w w w . g e o c i t i e s . c o m / h e a r t l a n d _ h e a t _ v 6 ] Heartland Heat V6 [ / U R L ]

Comment

Oh yeah, RKSport seems to sometimes have their headers on ebay for a pretty good price (recoated ones). ~$330 shipped directly from them.

Comment

Originally posted by ahank1
                          has any one besides black.. finished this project??
                          yea, me

Originally posted by black34v6
                          DO NOT GO OFF OF THE IDIOT ON FULLTHROTTLEV6.COM. Wolf doesnt know what the @%! hes doing and i wont be surprised if he comes off with the same or more problems that i've had.
                          hey now, i'm not an idiot, I'm just poor and have bad grammar on message boards:poke:
                          Wolf<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/249111/7\" target=\"_blank\">95 black t-top camaro</a>,3.4 5 speed,ud pullies,plugs/wires,de-shaft tb & gutted airbox, homemaid short throw shifter

Comment

Does anyone have any recommendations for cams? I plan on going turbo after I do the 3400 swap, but probably not for a few years. So, what I need, is a cam that would realize the most potential of the swap, and if possible be good for a future turbo setup. Or do you think it would be better if I just bought 2 cams, one for each setup? Thanks for any info.

Comment

did any one who did this see any improvements in fuel economy?

Comment

Originally posted by some_punk
                                did any one who did this see any improvements in fuel economy?
                                lol..if you want fuel economy - dont mod your car.

anyway, with a proper tune you would see improvements in fuel economy. once i get my car tuned ill let you guys know if the car gets better gas mileage. im hoping cause rite now im at 12mpg or so (ugh...ferkin cam).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X