Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor

Originally posted by GRNcamaro
    i have a 95 3.4 camaro and am wondering do the pistons on the 3.4 need to be changed to make the 3.5 heads work?
    yes.. this was discussed all through pages 3 and 4. If you do not change the pistons, you'll be running way too high of a compression ratio. The pistons out of 3400 (the fwd version of the 3.4) will work because they are a dished piston.
    Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

if i have a 3.1L what parts of that engine i could use to make my 3.4 faster??

Comment

okay so pistons head and manifold i need i read that the injectors have a proble and u need a 3400 fwd injector. i though i read the fwd had a lower compression after this swap to.
        Last edited by GRNcamaro; 07-20-2006, 10:16 PM.

Comment

No you will have a higher compression, the CR will uped to 9.6:1 from the 9:1 that you have now.

Comment

Originally posted by azteka
            if i have a 3.1L what parts of that engine i could use to make my 3.4 faster??
            If you read this whole thread then you can find all the info, you will be using the same parts that you would get from the 3400. The 3.1L you talk about is 3100 right?

Comment

ah screw it in the spring ill grab another block and take it to a local machine shop and let the figure all this crap out. i dont have time for this stuff right now unfortunetly

Comment

Originally posted by Alvarez1112
                Ok gentlemen this is actually my first post around here and i realize this is an old thread...and I dont even own a camaro, but hear me out! I have an s-10 that i swapped a 3.4 into; however, i retained the tbi that was on the 2.8 in the s-10. You may be aware that this is becoming a regular swap on the s-10 side because everything just bolts up. Swap the intake and tbi and you're done. My question becomes this: If you can swap the 3.1 heads on to your motors, considering the heads bolt on, would it seem reasonable to assume I could do the same? All while retaining the tbi?
                no, you could not retain the TBI because you have to use the FWD intakes with the FWD heads
                91 Mustang LX 2.3 Turbo - T5<br />-daily driver, 210hp/300ft-lbs (outdated)<br />94 Ranger Splash 2.3 Turbo - T5<br />-serious build up, shooting for 400+hp<br />95 Camaro 3.4 auto -hers<br />-she\'s workin on it

Comment

Alright 3.4 guys, you have your first sticky! Good work!
                  1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
                  1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

First off HELLO!! I have been reading on these forums for a bout 2 years now but just registerd :)

OK i have searched but couldnt find any info on this particular question. I am going to put the 3500 top end on my 95 3.4 camaro and am wondering about the cam choices. I dont really know very much about cams. I know that there are cams for the 3.4 for better performance. But with the 3500 top end would those cams still add performance or would I need to look at 3500 cams?? If neither of those will work is there a custom cam or one that will give good performance increase??

Thank you all so much in advance!! AND no matter what i find out about the cam i will be starting my project in the next week or so in my garage :)

Comment

I do know that you can't use the 3500 cam because of the same reason you can't use the 3400 cam. As for the 3.4 cams I don't know how well they will work with the 3500 heads, but I would imagine that they would be better then the stock 3.4 cam. If you don't want to use any of those cams you can have a custom one made from any of the cam manufactuers.

I know that probably didn't help all that much but it's all I really can say with actually experimenting with it. But anyways good luck on your build and I plan on doing the same thing.

Comment

Thanks for the input!! So the cam manufacturers could make a cam with my specs like my intake and heads and all of that and depending on how I want it to run?? Also Do you know if the 3500 heads on all grand am are the same or is it better to get the grand am gt heads. Im guessing they are probably the same not to sure though :)

Comment

Yes the cam manufacturers can make a cam to any specs that you want and preferably so that they work well with the heads. The Grand didn't come with the 3500, it only came with 3400. As for getting the 3400 heads and intake from a GT or not that doesn't matter just as long as it is a 3400 engine and preferably from 2000 and up.

The 3500 engine comes in the new Pontiac G6 and quite a few other GM cars, but if you get those make sure that they are not the heads from the VVT (Variable Valve Timing) version. The 3500 engine was started in 2004.

I hope that helps, if you have any other questions don't be afraid to ask.

Comment

Wow thanks a lot!! your a huge help. What is the difference from 1999 to 2000 heads and intake?? Also I know the tuning options for the 3.4 are limited Ive heard of megasquirt or something would that handle it?

Comment

In 2000 they got bigger valves for better flow.

Yes MegaSquirt would take care of that. There is one guy with a 3.4 that is running his engine with it and a few other people that are about to do it like black34v6.
                              Last edited by 94maro; 08-06-2006, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Wow man thanks for your help and effort really!! Ill see ya around ill keep in touch as im sure that I will have more questions for you :) Oh and do you know the size of the bigger valves or know where I could find out?? That is what I want to get so I want to be sure:)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                  Hello everyone!
                                  by Andy H
                                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                  3 weeks ago
                                • 3.4 slow to go
                                  hey there strangers!
                                  by 3.4 slow to go
                                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X