Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor

the idle on the cam is rough. i have a electronic cutout and when im driving and a v8 hears me (whether it be mustang, vette, camaro z28 or trans/am) i usually get a notice and most often a challenge for a race lol.

i wish i had a good video of the exhaust, the last one sucked and it sounds like *** compared to what the exhaust really sounds like.

as far as track numbers -- not so good. i cant drag race to save my life. as a result, i never got better than a 16.0 @ 83 mph with a 2.49 60'. i've just recently learned to launch my car but currently have a driveline vibration that im attributing to a bad driveshaft (its speed sensitive)

anyway..as soon as i get the driveshaft fixed i plan to go back to the track and get better times. just dont like going over 75 mph and feeling the car trying to shake itself apart :(

anyway, here are a few specs:

stock 3.4l engine dyno
    mods: K&N FIPK / Comp Cams 1.6 rocker arms / Accel 8.8mm wires
    142 rwhp / 183 rwtq
    1/4 mile: 16.509 @ 84mph (2.55 60')
    http://camaro.adwire.com/dyno1.jpg

3.4L hybrid with 1996 3100 parts (first swap)
    mods: K&N FIPK / heads/intake/fuel from a 1996 GAGT / RKSport Headers / Open Cutout / msd 8mm wires / 19# injectors
    170 rwhp / 207 rwtq
    1/4 mile: 16.3 @ 83mph (corrected for 2700' - 2.5 60')
    http://camaro.adwire.com/dyno1.2.jpg

3.4L hybrid with 2000 3400 parts (upgrade) & comp cams camshaft
    mods: K&N FIPK / 19# injectors / Open Cutout / msd 8mm wires / RKSport headers / heads/fuel/intake from a 2000 GAGT / Comp Cams custom grind camshaft / bad stock tune - 10.5:1 AF Ratio till 3500 rpm
    184 rwhp / 212 rwtq
    1/4 mile: 16.0 @ 83mph (2.49 60')
    http://images.wireware.net/wcfbsorg/...image06.hr.jpg

so as you can see im getting a little better at launching lol..but not much. hopefully ive got this down pat. i've only ever done one run at a time -- so my improvment and practice is taking a while (various circumstances mitigated this). next time i go i plan on doing runs until the place shuts down, so i can get the best time i can. altho it probably wont be as great as im hoping for, just because of the bad fuel setup :(
    Last edited by black34v6; 04-16-2007, 02:23 PM.

hybrid - \'\'hI-br&d - The offspring of a cross between species.
    Co-Founder West Coast F-Bodies
    West Coast F-Bodies Car Club - WCFB Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by black34v6
      the fuel isnt the issue. its the spark advance. you will get 19# injectors out of the 3400 so thats a pretty good deal. i dont HEAR knock - but the ECM records it (according to my auto xray); so i suppose yes i do have knock issues. as i said the spark advance is way way too much for the aluminum heads.

just fyi - i have run everything from 87/91 octane in the car. (91 being the highest i can get here in CA).

oh yea -- one more fyi for everyone: if you are in a state that has smog checks you will fail your state smog inspection if you do this. no questions about it.
      How about one of those Crane Timing retarder units, retards timing from like 0-20* so you can retard that timing down and get rid of the KR
      http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

its a good thot. problem is it ALWAYS has to retard timing.

i get knock instances on my auto xray when im at 10 mph or lower just from pressing the gas. cause the aluminum heads are limited to 30* of spark advance or therebouts (told to me by a expert in the 3x00 stuff) and the 3.4L has 23* of spark advance at idle. (goes up to like 28 when i hit the gas, and around 35 after 15 mph or so)

so ill look into the crane thing. i do have a MSD DIS-4 - it doesnt help at all. ive tried setting the timing retard as much as possible and putting it at the lowest rpm kick-in setting it can get to. doesnt help anything :(

Comment

I'm ordering Megasquirt soon, would that be enough to tune it? Or do I need to send it somewhere and have it tuned?

Comment

no the megasquirt should work. i have one ready, just need a wiring harness so i can get everythign hooked up right.

Comment

hmm...ilearn more about this every day.....many aftermarket cams for the 3.4 have some timing advance ground in...perhaps i should try to order one with some timing retard built in and go with a cloyes timing set and retard that the 4 degrees as well?

Comment

actually i think this is all academic as the megasquirt should fix any problems and its just waiting to go in (in my case). i just need to spend some $$ on a wiring harness to fix my problems.

i was only mentioning issues for the ppl that dont have a megasquirt.

Comment

Originally posted by black34v6
                  the idle on the cam is rough. i have a electronic cutout and when im driving and a v8 hears me (whether it be mustang, vette, camaro z28 or trans/am) i usually get a notice and most often a challenge for a race lol.

i wish i had a good video of the exhaust, the last one sucked and it sounds like *** compared to what the exhaust really sounds like.

as far as track numbers -- not so good. i cant drag race to save my life. as a result, i never got better than a 16.0 @ 83 mph with a 2.49 60'. i've just recently learned to launch my car but currently have a driveline vibration that im attributing to a bad driveshaft (its speed sensitive)

anyway..as soon as i get the driveshaft fixed i plan to go back to the track and get better times. just dont like going over 75 mph and feeling the car trying to shake itself apart :(

anyway, here are a few specs:

stock 3.4l engine dyno
                  mods: K&N FIPK / Comp Cams 1.6 rocker arms / Accel 8.8mm wires
                  142 rwhp / 183 rwtq
                  1/4 mile: 16.509 @ 84mph (2.55 60')
                  http://camaro.adwire.com/dyno1.jpg

3.4L hybrid with 1996 3100 parts (first swap)
                  mods: K&N FIPK / heads/intake/fuel from a 1996 GAGT / RKSport Headers / Open Cutout / msd 8mm wires / 19# injectors
                  170 rwhp / 207 rwtq
                  1/4 mile: 16.3 @ 83mph (corrected for 2700' - 2.5 60')
                  http://camaro.adwire.com/dyno1.2.jpg

3.4L hybrid with 2000 3400 parts (upgrade) & comp cams camshaft
                  mods: K&N FIPK / 19# injectors / Open Cutout / msd 8mm wires / RKSport headers / heads/fuel/intake from a 2000 GAGT / Comp Cams custom grind camshaft / bad stock tune - 10.5:1 AF Ratio till 3500 rpm
                  184 rwhp / 212 rwtq
                  1/4 mile: 16.0 @ 83mph (2.49 60')
                  http://images.wireware.net/wcfbsorg/...image06.hr.jpg

so as you can see im getting a little better at launching lol..but not much. hopefully ive got this down pat. i've only ever done one run at a time -- so my improvment and practice is taking a while (various circumstances mitigated this). next time i go i plan on doing runs until the place shuts down, so i can get the best time i can. altho it probably wont be as great as im hoping for, just because of the bad fuel setup :(
                  I am porting the piss out of my heads/intake when I get them.

As far as the running rich stuff, I can get that a little closer I think with the afpr.

If you could get the 60ft down, it would be a lot better. I don't think I'll have to worry about my drag times being problematic as far as launching. Right now I am rebuilding the transmission, b&m shift kit (the actual valvebody kit), corvette servo, aluminum driveshaft, rebuilding the 3.23 rear end with a torsen, and installing a 2700 (ish) stall torque converter. Add to that good tires, and it should do rather nicely at the track..lol.

Now if I can get everything adjusted to where it is safe to spray 125hp worth of nitrous...I should see some 12s!..rofl.
                  2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SE D20 M5 - Modified ;) <a href=\"http://www.knightenmotorsports.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.knightenmotorsports.com</a> <br />[ U R L = h t t p : / / w w w . g e o c i t i e s . c o m / h e a r t l a n d _ h e a t _ v 6 ] Heartland Heat V6 [ / U R L ]

Comment

actually...if you can get a good auto behind that thing (Better shifting - not as soft as the stock 3.4). you could probably get a 14.7 out of the setup N/A.

i mean seriously i was keeping a 1996 z28 from catching me (he was right behind me..couldnt close the 1 car gap between us...couldnt lose him tho) with just the 3400 upgrade and the stock cam (Before i got the comp cams thing).

so this has some potential. just need some good track times to show everyone. i dont think the AFPR would help with the 10.5:1 A/F ratio...

Comment

I was thinking that with the larger injectors I could just use an AFPR to bring fuel pressure before the injectors down. I have calculators that I can use to figure out what pressure to take it down to in order to make it work.

The way I see it, there are three variables: fuel pressure, injector ouput, and injector pulse length. Optimally I would just adjust the computer to shorten the pulse length, but as it is, the quickest way is to just lower the pressure so that the injectors will release less volume of fuel over the course of the stock pulse.

Should work, I could get it closer to stoich at least (well, the slightly rich side of it).
                      2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SE D20 M5 - Modified ;) <a href=\"http://www.knightenmotorsports.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.knightenmotorsports.com</a> <br />[ U R L = h t t p : / / w w w . g e o c i t i e s . c o m / h e a r t l a n d _ h e a t _ v 6 ] Heartland Heat V6 [ / U R L ]

Comment

I don't want to use Megasquirt, I would rather flash my ECU... anyone ever tried another product? I know someone from this thread said he'd try another program found on thirdgen.org but I didn't find any update from him... and how many hp/trq do you think correct fuel/timing would add to your numbers? I'm aiming at 260 crank hp without going f/i is it possible you guys think? still debating if I go with those mods or I do an LT1 swap, if I can do 260 I'd prefer to keep the V6

Comment

i think you could probably get upwards of 230 hp at the crank. i wont say for certain what this will do because i dont know. i havent tuned. the dyno guys (who tune cars too) did tell me that if i could tune my car id get another 15 or so hp and tq out of the deal (crank... 212hp + 15 = 227 hp or 200 rwhp (give or take))...

and all of this is with unported/unpolished heads and intake - just the exact way they came off of the grand am gt i pulled them off of.

oh yea -- and flashing the 3.4 ECM isnt possible unless you send it somewhere, ive been looking for a way to flash/program the 3.4 ecm since 1997. Hypertech used to make a power programmer for the 3.4 but they stopped after a year and it went into backorder hell, and on top of that it didnt do the kind of spark/fuel management tuning you need to do for this setup.

also - mail order tuning isnt as good as actual dyno tuning. flashing the 3.4 ecm from what i understand just isnt possible - but if you find something please add to this post and let everyone know.

Comment

I *may* have someone that can adjust the spark advance. I'm gonna try to get them to set it to the same as a stock 3400 (ie, 87 octane) so it will be easier to run boost or nitrous on it (with an msd and a retard).

I'm porting the shizzle out of my junk and polishing the combustion chambers..secretly I'm after the 260ish hp myself...

not so secret now..lol.

Comment

LOL...

never said i wasnt after the 260 hp ;) i just dont want to promise anything because this is a new venture for everyone.

most of the 3400's dont produce this much power even with bolt ons and stuff.

Comment

Okay, I have my 3400. Yesterday I tore down most of the engine. Right now I have heads, pushrods, intakes, throttlebody, fuel rail, and fuel injectors sitting to the side. Next up is the rod/piston extraction.

I went ahead and kept the lifters too.

While I have the whole thing here, are there any other suggestions on stuff to pull off that I might need?

I hope I get get all the vacuum lines, etc. to work on the other engine!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X