Firebird W68 - My LSX Swap thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Firebird W68 - My LSX Swap thread.

Car is in for repairs right now. I'm just ganna have it buffed out for right now, I'll have various parts repainted later, after the swap. Also getting dent repaired as well as a few ground effect issues I've had since I bought the car so it kind of works out.

Meanwhile, I went for my K-Member and it was sold so I will have to wait for another to pop up near my area. This is OKAY though as it gives me time to think and plan regarding the suspension setup cuzz I kinda did want a new suspension.

I opted to go for the wiring harness but they are EXTREMELY hard to find. Tried TACreations and they only sell complete pullouts. Tried Camaro and Firebird Salvage yard but they dont have any in stock but will call me when they do... I havent tried craigslist or LS1tech just yet but does anyone have any other suggestions? What is the part number for the actual GM wiring harness? Maybe I could just get a new one from gmpartsdirect?

Also regarding front suspension setup, what should I go for as far as springs and struts? I honestly like my stock V6 ride height but would like to upgrade since Im there. I dont think I can lower it though, my ground effects scrape bad enough as is...
    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Try Speartech, they can make any harness you want.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I used ssp wiring for my LSX harness. I cant remember exactly how much I spent, but it was a few hundred bucks. In my opinion it was totally worth it. Their engineer was very knowledgeable and built a new harness for my exact setup.
        http://www.sspwiring.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
          Try Speartech, they can make any harness you want.
          I'll keep them in mind as a last resort, I heard ALOT of bad things about Speartech on LS1tech as they have screwed alot of people out of time, or money, or both...and they're also a bit pricey.

Originally posted by techsan23 View Post
          I used ssp wiring for my LSX harness. I cant remember exactly how much I spent, but it was a few hundred bucks. In my opinion it was totally worth it. Their engineer was very knowledgeable and built a new harness for my exact setup.
          http://www.sspwiring.com/
          This looks okay so far, did you do a V6 - V8 swap and were they able to keep your gauges working?

-----------

Anyway, My car is back. They repaired the damage and I just opted for the cheap way for right now as I am more concerned about finishing the motor swap as of right now but even for the cheapest way they did a good job...

As I stated before the rear fender was pushed behind the tail light and the bumper was scuffed up and lightly cracked...

Before:

After:
          Last edited by Need4Camaro; 05-16-2012, 11:56 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Need4Camaro;1028679
            This looks okay so far, did you do a V6 - V8 swap and were they able to keep your gauges working?
            [/QUOTE]

3.8 to 6.0 I hope the gauges are going to work. I'll have to get it running to verify. I sent in my v6 harness and had the part that runs through the firewall adapted to the new harness. You can save a couple of bucks and finish the wiring yourself when you get the new harness. I was told it is fairly easy and comes with instructions, but I opted to just have them do it for me.

Comment

3.8 to 6.0 I hope the gauges are going to work. I'll have to get it running to verify. I sent in my v6 harness and had the part that runs through the firewall adapted to the new harness. You can save a couple of bucks and finish the wiring yourself when you get the new harness. I was told it is fairly easy and comes with instructions, but I opted to just have them do it for me.
              Yeah I called them and they told me to send them my harness. You say you can modify the part that runs through your firewall into the new harness yourself as its fairly easy? or are you referring to something else.. Cuzz if I have to go this route thats going to be added downtime for my car.

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Camaro View Post
                Yeah I called them and they told me to send them my harness. You say you can modify the part that runs through your firewall into the new harness yourself as its fairly easy? or are you referring to something else.. Cuzz if I have to go this route thats going to be added downtime for my car.
                They gave me the option of either adapting that part myself or for a few more bucks send them my v6 harness and they do it for me. I had them do it for me.

Comment

I got a free Torque Converter. Its slightly used but he was overstocked with them and I simply put asked for one and he shipped it to me. Should have by Tuesday next week.

Remaining parts are
                  K-Member with Suspension and Steering Rack.
                  Alternator
                  Wiring Harness
                  Radiator
                  Hoses
                  Oil Tube & Dipstick
                  Trans Tube & Dipstick??? (not sure if mine is compatible or not)
                  Full Exhaust System
                  (Ebay Longtubes with Texas Speed Y-Pipe & CatBack)

Im pretty much on the downhill side of things with the most expensive thing being the wiring harness and after that everything else is roughly pocket change.

Im ganna assume my costs to date

Engine & LS1 Intake W Fuel Rails / Injectors - $900
                  Transmission - $400
                  Torque Converter - Free
                  Accessories & Brackets - Bolts included - $300
                  Oil Pan & Hardware - $146

These are the parts I have so far - It totals to $1,746
                  For what I HAVE, This is an AMAZING price in my opinion - an LS1 swap can be done cheap given time and resources.

K-Member - $250
                  Alternator - $70 (Ebay AC Delco)
                  Wiring Harness - Between $300 and $570 Depending on which route I take
                  Radiator - $100
                  Hoses - $70
                  Intake Lid - $100
                  Misc - $100

That comes to about $1,260 but lets round up to $1,350... added to 1,800 = $3,060 for a complete running engine...

$4,060 after I pay for labor.

Full exhaust is ganna be roughly $500..

so for roughly $4,500 you can have a LOW MILEAGE LS1 swap with the truck motors... $3,500 is you're capable of doing all the work yourself... which is about $2k cheaper than our turbo kits and while it doesnt put out QUITE as much power, has tons more potential...

I could have gone even cheaper if I purchased a higher mileage motor

They gave me the option of either adapting that part myself or for a few more bucks send them my v6 harness and they do it for me. I had them do it for me.
                  Question - Would it be possible to purchase a stand alone harness and modify my V6 harness into it?
                  Last edited by Need4Camaro; 05-19-2012, 12:14 AM.

Comment

My Torque Converter is here.

Its just a stocker but I just want to get this project wrapped up now, it's been going on for alittle while. I now have the minimum amount of parts to begin assembly...

The K-Member and Wiring Harness are the only major parts left, this its just misc stuff like radiator, alternator, belts, hoses, ect

I need to know, I am thinking about the PA-Racing tubular K-Member as I heard they don't crack. If I go with one, can I reuse my V6 brake lines, A-Arms, Steering Rack? I was wondering since the Tubular K-Members offered more space if it would be more friendly to the V6 steering rack in a V8... It would save alot of money if I could.

If not Im most likely just ganna grab a Stock K-Member and save some money for now and get serious when I later either turbo or 383...

Oh, and had alittle fun with the birds today...

Comment

• Re: Firebird W68 - My LSX Swap thread.

The K-Member and Wiring Harness are the only major parts left, this its just misc stuff like radiator, alternator, belts, hoses, ect

I need to know, I am thinking about the PA-Racing tubular K-Member as I heard they don't crack. If I go with one, can I reuse my V6 brake lines, A-Arms, Steering Rack? I was wondering since the Tubular K-Members offered more space if it would be more friendly to the V6 steering rack in a V8... It would save alot of money if I could.

Get a Spohn K-member.

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1998-2002-...ember-LSX.html

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
                        Can I reuse my V6 Upper / Lower A-Arms?

Comment

Can I reuse my V6 Upper / Lower A-Arms?
                          Only the LCA attach to the K-member - yes. There is no difference between V6 and V8 arms.

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

I know its been a long time. My mechanic grabbed all the parts. We also confirmed that the transmission IS rebuilt so I am good there. He's going to clean it.

I am going to buy a K-Member on Wednesday, complete for $200

Last things left:
                            Alternator
                            Belts & Hoses
                            Radiator if I need one
                            Wiring Harness

Comment

I'm buying KMember and Alternator today. Just going with stock stuff. The merv from LS1 Tech is helping me with wiring harness as we speak. I'm almost done.

I have to leave Seattle upon the completion of my car. Things are going horribly bad for me here. Would it be ok to take a 1900 mile motor and freshly rebuilt transmission across country all interstate?

Comment

The merv from LS1 Tech is helping me with wiring harness as we speak.
                                I know I used his posts multiple times when I was doing my swap. He's got some good knowledge and info.

Be sure to take a video and pictures after you get it running! :)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X