Firebird W68 - My LSX Swap thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Firebird W68 - My LSX Swap thread.

How did " your guy" rebuild a 4L60E with out removing the 2-4 servo cover?
    sigpic

Comment

If i was purchasing a rebuilt tranny it being clean better be part of the deal... Just sayin...
      Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
      Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
      Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
      Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
      Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
        How did " your guy" rebuild a 4L60E with out removing the 2-4 servo cover?
        I know nothing of transmissions - Not doubting you because this thing is dirty... but where is and how can you tell it wasn't removed?

I'm assuming it's that cylendar that sits on the passenger side just above the pan?

Edit: After some googling I know what you're talking about. - The cover...does the cover also have to be replaced upon a tranny rebuild?

Originally posted by Pewter02Camaro View Post
        If i was purchasing a rebuilt tranny it being clean better be part of the deal... Just sayin...
        That part was a bit disappointing. I was expecting a clean tranny too. He texted me when he picked it up and told me he was working on it and told me when it would be ready. When it was ready I didn't have the time (or man power) to pick it up so he kept it for a few days until I got time. From what he told me - He said he didn't have time to clean it and needed to move it to make space.

It does have a warranty on it for a year... If there's any issues its going back to him. I already called him telling him it was dirty as crap and he called back immediately and told me everything inside was new... I'm ganna go by his word...

I did see his shop. It did look relatively reputable - had cases apart, saw all the internals and he specializes in 4L60E's. He had painted cases meaning he does typically wash them down. Completely unsure why he didnt take the time to wash mine...Either way I'm just hoping it doesn't give me problems or its going back.
        Last edited by Need4Camaro; 02-17-2012, 02:22 AM.
        1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

The rings on the 2 servos inside and the o ring that seals the cover should be replaced. The servo's and pin should be removed when removing and installing the band as well. The Servo's double as an accumulator and they need to be cleaned out because junk will gather there and settle.
          sigpic

Comment

The rings on the 2 servos inside and the o ring that seals the cover should be replaced. The servo's and pin should be removed when removing and installing the band as well. The Servo's double as an accumulator and they need to be cleaned out because junk will gather there and settle.
            Okay. - Im partially curious to open it but I'm afraid I might not be able to seal it right (plus I would have to get a new O-Ring if I do) - I think he did do it though because even though the cover looks dirty, when I put my hand on it and felt around it, no dirt came off on my hand meaning it was probably handled before. Dunno though.

It is warrantied for a year / unlimited mileage - if it holds together that long then I'll be fine with it as I am most likely ganna need a built tranny for my next plan... If it doesnt then Its going back to him.

Comment

Wow, that is unfortunate. I have never seen a professional transmission shop do a complete rebuild and not clean the case.

Something is fishy here. I sure hope it works out ok when you install it and try to drive it.

Comment

Yea I'm beggining to have second thoughts myself because that IS very weird. Is there any way I can tell if its been rebuilt without having to replace any seals / gaskets ect?

Comment

You can clearly see that the snap ring holding the servo cover has not been removed in your pic of the dipstick tube hole. All that dirt caked in there would not be there. Also the bushing to seal the dipstick looks to not have been replaced or even removed. You do need to clean some of these things or dirt will get inside the trans.
                  sigpic

Comment

You can clearly see that the snap ring holding the servo cover has not been removed in your pic of the dipstick tube hole.
                    Just noticed that myself.
                    Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
                    Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
                    Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
                    Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
                    Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Damn, I'm noticing that too... I'm ganna open it alittle later today and see what I see... I called him and told him all this and he told me the reason I saw a clean "painted" transmission was because it was a special $800 tranny he was beefing for someone but if he cleaned every transmission that came to him he'd lose time and wouldn't get any work done and hardly makes anything profit wise as is... Told me it was the original 2-4 servo inside of there but he replaced the rings / seals. I'm beginning to feel I got a bit screwed but oh well.. It was a cheap tranny... as long as it shifts and works, I'll be fine with it till I get serious about making power which is when the real transmission will go in... if it doesn't its going back to him till it does... If I got my money back from it, I wouldn't have enough to get another trans as of right now so I'll stick with it and clean it when I get a chance.

I was thinking of raising some hell about it but in the end I'll come out behind.. if it's warrantied and he'll fix whatever's wrong (or atleast till I can afford a built trans) I'll be happy with that for now.

And now I'm beggining to feel slightly embarrassed for bringing in a rinky-dink tranny by page 7 of my overhyped LSX swap thread :)

Well I've read worse...I read a thread where a guy built a LQ9 from a junkyard with a nasty cam... had everyone going for 30 or so pages before he cranked it and it threw a rod... **** happens I guess... happens even more so when you're not careful.
                      Last edited by Need4Camaro; 02-17-2012, 12:21 PM.

Comment

...I'm thinking twice big time on this trans now. I think I'm going to get my money back and save up for another trans... it will cut my budget in half but I'm not sure if I really trust this guy anymore.

Comment

Unsubscribed.
                          sigpic

Comment

Unsubscribed.
                            Sorry man... But thanks for your help up to this point.
                            Last edited by Need4Camaro; 02-17-2012, 11:44 PM.

Comment

More goodies have arrived, this time exactly as they were stated...

Power Steering Pump and Bracket - it was too dirty (as usual) for me to unwrap.

A/C Compressor & Bracket (going to paint this)
                              Alternator Bracket (I have the bolts too and I'm re-using the truck alternator that I get.)
                              Crank Pulley

Water Pump

- Oil pan arrives tomorrow. My windage tray and pickup tube have shipped from GMPartsDirect... I'll be getting that relatively soon too...

- As far as the trans I'm still not 100% sure what I'm going to do with it but I'm probably going to have to ride it out considering my budget and if it gives me crap, raise hell with the guy who built it until I can afford a real transmission... as long as it works for now I'll be okay.

- Next purchases

- K-Member (Has struts, steering rack, Motor Mounts) - $200
                              - Wiring harness from a 01 / 02 F-Body - $300
                              - Complete LS1 Intake (TB, MAF, Injectors, Fuel Rails, Intake) - $275
                              - Engine - 5.3L - Hopefully... but if I must settle for a 4.8L I will. ($400 - $600)

I'm more in than out now...Atleast I am still making progress. the trans issue will be resolved one way or another.
                              Last edited by Need4Camaro; 02-17-2012, 11:39 PM.

Comment

I would at least try the tranny to see if it works alright, Nice parts.
                                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                  Hello everyone!
                                  by Andy H
                                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                  4 weeks ago
                                • 3.4 slow to go
                                  hey there strangers!
                                  by 3.4 slow to go
                                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X