Firebird W68 - My LSX Swap thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Firebird W68 - My LSX Swap thread.

Custom wiring harness and a good chance your gauge cluster will not work.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
      Custom wiring harness and a good chance your gauge cluster will not work.
      just wondering, howcome? what would I need to rectify that?
      1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Camaro View Post
        just wondering, howcome? what would I need to rectify that?
        You need to do more research before you try to do your conversion.
        sigpic

Comment

Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
          Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
          Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
          Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
          Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Camaro View Post
            What are the specs on the stock V6 fuel pump? reason I ask is, although everyone says you have to change it, I know a few people who didn't and did LS1 swaps and are running fine. What is the LPH and Pressure? Max HP they can sustain?

Do you think I can run a stock 5.3L on it?
            Yes, v6 pump is fine if its not on its way out and the v8 is just gonna be a mild build

Comment

reason I'm asking is I like the 120 speedo more than the 150 speedo - wanted to try to keep it if I could. I know a stand alone wiring harness is only meant to keep the engine and PCM running but might have issues, or be completely incompatible with a BCM.

an 01 / 02 wiring harness would work but they're not easy to come by in a non/stand alone form which is why I am asking what would need to be changed in a stand alone harness to make it compatible...

ORIGINALLY I thought that the only thing that controlled the gauge cluster was the PCM but you stated that my wiring harness / if I went and used a custom stand alone harness, my gauges wouldn't work. I haven't had anything to back that up yet as I know several on LS1Tech who are running custom harness's and their gauges work fine but I was trying to find any specific reason you're stating this.

Comment

The speedo isn't an issue when using the F body PCM. There are tons of totaled LS F bodies, get the right parts from a yard that deals with them. 99 up uses a different harness and PCM from 98 down. There are no drive by wire F body LS1 PCM's.
                sigpic

Comment

Transmission is done - will have pics when I have time to pick it up.

Thinking of running a stall converter (3,200 sound good?) and a tranny cooler - also may get an aluminum flywheel... Since I'm going N/A on a smaller V8 it would at least rev faster.

Also I'm getting the entire front drive accessories for $300 - that includes all brackets, bolts, accessories (A/C & Bracket, Water Pump & Gaskets, PS Pump / Resivior & Brackets, Alternator & Bracket, Crank Pulley.) on Saturday. Brand new this stuff is between $800 and $1k - junk yards typically sell for around $600 - 750...

I'm still on my own for the tensioner and one idler pulley but its better than eating $600 + for this stuff.

Slowly coming together - I still haven't had time to call any wiring companies.

---

The same guy might also give me a steal on a LS6 intake / Camaro Throttle Body - I was originally intending to run a Typhoon intake but I may change my mind if the price is right.
                  Last edited by Need4Camaro; 02-08-2012, 10:05 PM.

Comment

I would stick with the steel flywheel if it were me. That way you dont have to worry about rebalancing the engine's rotating assembly to match. The alum flywheel will build rpm's faster from a roll, but a steel one will hit harder from a stop due to centrifugal force.

Comment

The speedo isn't an issue when using the F body PCM. There are tons of totaled LS F bodies, get the right parts from a yard that deals with them. 99 up uses a different harness and PCM from 98 down. There are no drive by wire F body LS1 PCM's.
                      I would take Brian's advice if I were you.

Originally posted by techsan23 View Post
                      I would stick with the steel flywheel if it were me. That way you dont have to worry about rebalancing the engine's rotating assembly to match. The alum flywheel will build rpm's faster from a roll, but a steel one will hit harder from a stop due to centrifugal force.
                      I would take this advice as well.

Comment

Originally posted by nascar24jd View Post
                        I would take Brian's advice if I were you.

I would take this advice as well.
                        I understand. - will stick with steel then, I was only wondering while I would have everything apart if it would be worth it to change it - looked into it and saw that too...

Anyway - I may be getting the Wiring harness for $155 from an 01 Z28 ... Waiting to see on Saturday.

Will most likely be picking trans up over the weekend.

Comment

Bought the Accessories - they will ship Monday.

Wiring harness was sold sadly, that's fine though.

So far I've saved

Rebuilt 4L60E from a 2002 Z28
                          Standard price - $800
                          I paid - $450

LS1 Accessories / Brackets / Bolts / Crank Pulley - USED
                          Standard Price - $750
                          I paid $300
                          In just two purchases I saved $800...

Btw I know this thread is going a bit slow... I'm going to buy either the wiring harness or oil pan on Monday when I can get to the bank but there's not going to be alot of photos till I get everything I need together.

I can only do what I can do because I am on a budget and waiting to get paid from certain deals..plus I can't move the trans till the guy who's doing the work has time off.

Comment

Good to see you getting the parts in order.
                            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                              Good to see you getting the parts in order.
                              Yup, although I still didnt get the opportunity to pick up my trans because my labor guy was booked with work for the weekend - oh well. I'm thinking of paying a mover to bring it into my apartment and letting it sit here since it's not as heavy as an engine..until Im ready to do everything...

Meanwhile, my car as it is is having all kinds of issues. It is overheating now - I'm hoping I get this done and soon.

I am getting the Oil Pan tomorrow for $100 ... Still looking out for deals on the Wiring Harness.

Also what size stall converter should I go with? I'm ganna try and do a LS6 cammed 5.3L (the cam basically to make up for the power I lost by stepping down 0.4L) I'm also ganna need a tranny cooler right? Oh and finally the Typhoon Intake...can those use stock LS1 fuel rails or do I have to use their fuel rails?
                              Last edited by Need4Camaro; 02-13-2012, 04:41 AM.

Comment

If you get a stall , you will want a tranny cooler, don't know about the Typhoon intake.
                                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                  Had to get another phone
                                  by ssms5411
                                  Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                  1 week ago
                                • ssms5411
                                  Leaking front cover
                                  by ssms5411
                                  So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                  2 weeks ago
                                • transamtom1
                                  Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                  by transamtom1
                                  Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X