Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: v6 sounding like a v8

Originally posted by Disruptore4
    care to entertain us with your explanation of the definition of "off-key" and "harmonized"?

i'll save you the time, it's not about the pitch of the tone it's making, it's the firing order. in a V8 engine, there are two cylinders firing at the same time at some points in the firing order, you were correct about this part. but it has nothing to do with the sound frequency the internal combustion is at.

leave it to the music major to be a prick about someone saying "off-key" and "acoustically harmonized"... hahaha

oh, and to the OP... you have a better chance at making your buddy's outboard boat motor sound bada$$ than making your V6 sound like a V8. 98 3.8's car does sound good for a V6 though. :banana:
    what?

cylinders on v8's dont fire at the same time

the firing order of a traditional v8 is 18436572, if two cylinders fired at the same time, this would be impossible, and like previously mentioned, would make the distributor completly useless, since it isnt capeable of giving spark to more than one cylinder at one time, unless it has some kind of dual rotor in it.. and i dont think that would be very good having spark on another cylinders intake/exhaust stroke.. great way to throw a rod back down into the crank.

Comment

The sound isn't from the firing order it's the firing frequency.. IE a V6 fires 3 times for every rotation where a V8 fires 4 times for every rotation.

What if you could somehow split one of the exhaust routes and delay it or something... ah nevermind.. lmao

Comment

Originally posted by xmetallicaxguitaristx
        The sound isn't from the firing order it's the firing frequency.. IE a V6 fires 3 times for every rotation where a V8 fires 4 times for every rotation.

What if you could somehow split one of the exhaust routes and delay it or something... ah nevermind.. lmao
        You are on to something here! We could design headers that will split the exhaust from each cylinder and delay it 1/2 revolution. It will make our cars sounds like a V12. This will be that greatest invention since the lotto machine! :rock:

Lounge Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by xmetallicaxguitaristx

firing order has a lot to do with it.. take the LT1 and LS1 for example, they sound totally different.

Comment

$hit *uck C0CK balls!
            i love street racing!
            Can We PLEASE Lock this thread now?
            1998 Red T-top V6 Camaro
            - K&N Filter, Pacesetter Headders, MagnaFlow 2.5" Hi-Flo Cat, FlowMaster 80 Series, PowerDyne Supercharger@9Psi More 2 Come

Comment

The firing order is exactly what causes the harmonization in a V8 motor. Harmonization is doubling of a frequency but producing the same musical note. V8s do this, V6s don't. Sound frequency is in Hertz. 220 hertz, 440 hertz and 880 hertz are the same musical note. Now take 220hz and multiply it by three, you have 660Hz. That's a note that won't harmonize well with 220Hz. That causes it to be off-key. Same for out engines. Hate it or love it.

You can achive a more similar tone in a V4 or a V16 engine, hell even an inline-4 or an inline-8 has more capacity to sound similar to a V8 than a V6 could. Subaru boxer engines sound more like V8s than our cars do due to the even number of cylinders.

Picture a drum beat where every fourth drum beat is on a different drum, then picture a drum beat where every third drum beat is on a different drum. The second one would sound like circus music or something.

whatever, V6s have their own unique sound. It will always sound like a V6, and not like a V8. If you rev it twice as high, you'll sound kind of like a V12, but with the "ripple" of the exhaust note caused by all cylinders completing their rotation, occuring twice as fast.

I'm just talking schitt :) If you want V8 sound, get a V8. V6 ftw. ib4tl.
              Last edited by JohnnyC; 01-18-2008, 02:42 PM.
              \'97 Camaro M5 Y87 3.23 LSD, homebrew CAI, highfloCat, Flowmaster catback, Pacesetter headers, specstage3 clutch and aluminum flywheel, !egr, 2kW system.<br /><br />Possible L67 bottom end w/ abbott heads and a turbo in the works... gotta do more homework

Comment

Originally posted by RyanAndyBob
                $hit *uck C0CK balls!
                i love street racing!
                Can We PLEASE Lock this thread now?
                I'm running 13s, not looking for 13s. Street racing ftw. Hitting revlimit in 5th with my 3.73's ftw.
                \'97 Camaro M5 Y87 3.23 LSD, homebrew CAI, highfloCat, Flowmaster catback, Pacesetter headers, specstage3 clutch and aluminum flywheel, !egr, 2kW system.<br /><br />Possible L67 bottom end w/ abbott heads and a turbo in the works... gotta do more homework

Comment

Originally posted by Bonemaro
                  . This will be that greatest invention since the lotto machine! :rock:
                  nothing NOTHING will ever be better than lambo's lotto machine. nothing

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                  http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                  Or this

Comment

I dont understand that "harmonization" stuff, almost understand it though, but probably because i dont know anything about that to begin whit..

But what about this:

why does an L6 sound totally different than a V6?
                    an L4 different than an H4

VW H4 totally different than Subaru H4?

Porsce H6 and so on...

The firing order is making motors sound different,
                    like a Ford V8 Sound different than an Chevrolet.
                    And many likes Ford sound better.....

Its the same crankshaft degrees between every fire in all engine as long as its the same number of cylinders, shouldnt it sound the same sound then?
                    I dont know about odd-fire engines though, like Buick.. :)

If you have equal lenght headers on an L6 and V6, the exhaust pulses should be around the same, altough its probably hard and complicated to make an L6 an V6 exhaust pulses exactly the same, anyway an L6 sounds different than an V6, how come? Maybe I can think straight tomorrow.. Its late and in tired now.. :(

Comment

If you had the same timeframe between cylinders firing, identical bore and stroke, and equal length headers and identical exhausts with identical valve lift, then yeah, you could make an L6 sound like a V6, but making the firing orders match up to reproduce the same sound will most likely result in at least one of the engines running really rough.

Comment

Used to have a buddy with a 6 cyl in a early 70's model Ford Ranger. It had straight pipes and we would get into rev contests with v8's... most people couldn't tell it was a 6 cylinder. :banana: Go Figure
                        2002 Navy Blue Metallic Blue Firebird A4
                        Pure stock (Hey, just bought it 11/07)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                          Hello everyone!
                          by Andy H
                          Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                          3 weeks ago
                        • 3.4 slow to go
                          hey there strangers!
                          by 3.4 slow to go
                          been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                          4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X