Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: v6 sounding like a v8

Originally posted by xmetallicaxguitaristx
    I don't know i've heard some peoples 3.8's sound like V8's, specifically 98 3.8's car (the user not the engine).. May not sound like an LS1, but sounds really close to some other V8's. Either way sounds badass:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4YfZ2Msn2Ig

That is my exhaust goal anyways.. I want to do CIA headers with true duals 2.5, and borla mufflers.
    There is a cammed 3.8 on youtube.com that sounds unbelievable. (That might be the one that metallica posted, but I can't look at it, cuz I'm at work). I'd like to hear the cammed 3.8 at higher rpm's though... I wonder if it still sounds "raspy".
    2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
    1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
    2011 Cadillac CTS-V
    2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Originally posted by Shirl
      There is a cammed 3.8 on youtube.com that sounds unbelievable. (That might be the one that metallica posted, but I can't look at it, cuz I'm at work). I'd like to hear the cammed 3.8 at higher rpm's though... I wonder if it still sounds "raspy".
      No it's all about the mufflers.. magnaflow and flomasters are the worst for "rasp" (unless you get like an autozone muffler, but you know what I mean) having headers helps a little, and then the true duals help even more.

Has anyone found out what causes that sound? Alot of the time you can hear a metallic pinging noise when they rev (the Y-pipe rattles around and hits that bracing by the transmission, whatever it's called.), and that causes a majority of it. The other reason is just the muffler itself. You have to find a muffler that gives you a smooth tone.. IE really rough = riceburner sound really smooth would be like a stock muffler, but louder.

Comment

I still like my Cherry Bomb :D
        ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
        A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Every One Can Stop Posting Now

I think he gets the point.....
          And if you dont get the point(s) here they are
          1. Your Car Won't Ever have the sound of a V8
          2. Use The Search Function Next Time Please.
          1998 Red T-top V6 Camaro
          - K&N Filter, Pacesetter Headders, MagnaFlow 2.5" Hi-Flo Cat, FlowMaster 80 Series, PowerDyne Supercharger@9Psi More 2 Come

Comment

Be nice to newbs. You were one too. ;)
            2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
            1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
            2011 Cadillac CTS-V
            2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
            2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Originally posted by t-topV6
              lol... thats how a honda owner gets a v6... :P, and then a leaf-blower held up by duct tape for a turbo XD
              Sheeeee, bro. I gotz 700 RWHP wit ma Civie doin' dis. No joke! I'm looking at 750 once I gitz ma APS sticker. :naughty:

Lounge Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Shirl
                Be nice to newbs. You were one too. ;)
                hey now i said please, lol I am just getting agravated at everyone saying the same thing but posting in this thread anyways. after like 4ppl saying no you'd think it would be enough...:)
                1998 Red T-top V6 Camaro
                - K&N Filter, Pacesetter Headders, MagnaFlow 2.5" Hi-Flo Cat, FlowMaster 80 Series, PowerDyne Supercharger@9Psi More 2 Come

Comment

Originally posted by Bonemaro
                  Sheeeee, bro. I gotz 700 RWHP wit ma Civie doin' dis. No joke! I'm looking at 750 once I gitz ma APS sticker. :naughty:
                  what abought a NOS sticker then youll have 760 :drool:

-Y87
                  Lid,K&N Filter,PaceSetter Headers,Magnaflow Cat 2.5in S-pipe,Flomaster :(,3.42 LSD

Comment

Originally posted by Sean_99_3.8
                    what abought a NOS sticker then youll have 760 :drool:
                    Are you kidding? NOS is good for +100. Even more if you have enough supporting stickers.

boom sha-LOCK-LOCK boom!

Lounge Moderator

Comment

V6's sound is off-key and aren't harmonized. V8's firings are acoustically harmonized. The firing order gives it it's sound.

You can get a really mean sound with mods... My car is mean sounding with its heads, cam, intake, headers and 3" header-back exhaust. Flowtech warlock muffler ftw.
                      \'97 Camaro M5 Y87 3.23 LSD, homebrew CAI, highfloCat, Flowmaster catback, Pacesetter headers, specstage3 clutch and aluminum flywheel, !egr, 2kW system.<br /><br />Possible L67 bottom end w/ abbott heads and a turbo in the works... gotta do more homework

Comment

oh, ib4tl
                        \'97 Camaro M5 Y87 3.23 LSD, homebrew CAI, highfloCat, Flowmaster catback, Pacesetter headers, specstage3 clutch and aluminum flywheel, !egr, 2kW system.<br /><br />Possible L67 bottom end w/ abbott heads and a turbo in the works... gotta do more homework

Comment

is it true the 3.4 sounds better than the 3.8 due to the firing order?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyC
                            V6's sound is off-key and aren't harmonized. V8's firings are acoustically harmonized. The firing order gives it it's sound.
                            care to entertain us with your explanation of the definition of "off-key" and "harmonized"?

i'll save you the time, it's not about the pitch of the tone it's making, it's the firing order. in a V8 engine, there are two cylinders firing at the same time at some points in the firing order, you were correct about this part. but it has nothing to do with the sound frequency the internal combustion is at.

leave it to the music major to be a prick about someone saying "off-key" and "acoustically harmonized"... hahaha

oh, and to the OP... you have a better chance at making your buddy's outboard boat motor sound bada$$ than making your V6 sound like a V8. 98 3.8's car does sound good for a V6 though. :banana:

Comment

Originally posted by Bonemaro
                              boom sha-LOCK-LOCK boom!
                              the sound of true, unfiltered performance
                              2000 Camaro 3800 A4

Comment

Two cylinders firing at the same time? :bs: 18436572?
                                Seems like all the old hot rods with a distributor ignition just fired one cylinder at a time...:stp:
                                Think about it folks!
                                2002 Navy Blue Metallic Blue Firebird A4
                                Pure stock (Hey, just bought it 11/07)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X