No announcement yet.

Full Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I decided on doing the headers now. Pacesetters ordered.

Now about the cat..

Will both these cats give similar performance?

Is the 94169 high flow?

only the 59959 says high flow.

Thinking about getting the 94169 with the 02sensor openings already there.
    Last edited by Camaro3800v6; 07-08-2018, 02:50 AM.

Comment

I don’t think the 94169 catalytic converter is high flow... I also am not sure if the location of the O2 sensors would work when installed on our cars.

if you are having an exhaust shop install this for you it will take them a few extra minutes to install an 02 bung or two in the piping. I believe the y-pipe from pacesetter already has a precat bung as well if I remember correctly.

02 sim would only be needed for the furthest to the back o2 sensor as that is the one that just “checks” to make sure the cat is working at oem specs.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Yes the pacesetters have the Pre cat O2 bung, cats it your choice I would think if its 3" it should flow alot better than stock.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

So my parts came in.. Got the cat without the 02 holes.

Are you saying skip the mandrel bent pipes over the axle because of the price? If I don't care about the extra cost would you think it's worth it?

Everything I read says.. mandrel bent is the way to go and the crush bend, which is what the exhaust shop does is restrictive crap that will corrode.

Since I didn't know what mandrel bent exhaust was back when I got my catback on, I'm guessing I already have none mandrel bent exhaust which is "crush bent"? on my catback.

when I bring my headers and cat to the shop are they just going to bolt/weld those on to my magnaflow catback? Do they have to make any additional pipes? Still learning all of this..Don't want them to leave any restrictive pipes on.

is it that.. they have to re bend the 3" inch over the axle for some reason? Or I could just have the mandrel bent over the axle put on while I'm there for a benefit?

LETZRIDE
          you had an awesome 3.8 so I think non mandrel bent must be fine.

i just want to get it done with the most flow, the first time.. and not regret later that I didn't get mandrel bent. May want cam, supercharger eventually.

ssms5411
          Since you couldn't find those mandrel bent pipes does that mean we can't get mandrel bent on our 3.8s anymore? Any different brands that would work?
          Last edited by Camaro3800v6; 07-12-2018, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Nice, glad you got them in, I think you should be fne with a 3" over the axle pipe. Letzride is correct since your not going for any land speed records. Lol You should be fine.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Ok Thanks lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro3800v6 View Post
                So my parts came in.. Got the cat without the 02 holes.

Are you saying skip the mandrel bent pipes over the axle because of the price? If I don't care about the extra cost would you think it's worth it?

Everything I read says.. mandrel bent is the way to go and the crush bend, which is what the exhaust shop does is restrictive crap that will corrode.

Since I didn't know what mandrel bent exhaust was back when I got my catback on, I'm guessing I already have none mandrel bent exhaust which is "crush bent"? on my catback.

when I bring my headers and cat to the shop are they just going to bolt/weld those on to my magnaflow catback? Do they have to make any additional pipes? Still learning all of this..Don't want them to leave any restrictive pipes on.

is it that.. they have to re bend the 3" inch over the axle for some reason? Or I could just have the mandrel bent over the axle put on while I'm there for a benefit?

LETZRIDE
                you had an awesome 3.8 so I think non mandrel bent must be fine.

i just want to get it done with the most flow, the first time.. and not regret later that I didn't get mandrel bent. May want cam, supercharger eventually.

ssms5411
                Since you couldn't find those mandrel bent pipes does that mean we can't get mandrel bent on our 3.8s anymore? Any different brands that would work?
                mandrel is better - but not substanial. If the price is the same or very similar- go for mandrel bent

If you want to squeeze every ounce of power- go mandrel bent (without you might leave 2-3hp on the table)

usually it is a few hundred dollar difference - and for the 2-3 hp difference I’d say put the money into gears or a tune or something else that makes more of a difference.

It’s not like you are only installing a muffler, the bigger piping is what makes the biggest difference. I personally believe there are better things to spend your money on than mandrel

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

My car is all done but spark plug problem

The muffler shop said they can't get the spark plugs to fit without touching the headers.They said normally they would recommend getting 90° spark plug boots but the current boots are stuck on so he wouldn't be able to replace them without damaging the existing plugs.

Does anyone know what to get that will fit with pacesetter headers without touching, that gives good power but also works reliably with our cars? I want to get all new plugs and wires anyway I just need to know that they will fit without touching the new headers, So I can get my car out of the shop
                  Last edited by Camaro3800v6; 07-14-2018, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Msd 8.5 wires, they come in 90 degree boots. You also could get heat sleeves that would protect the wires also, i have pacesetters and i run straight boots with heat sleeves. No problems.

Comment

Want new spark plugs as well. Performance wise Is there any benefit to aftermarket "performance" spark plugs, or will new stock spark plugs work just as good with the Msd 8.5 wires?

its 80 bucks an hour at the shop.. need an opinion do you think I should just do the plugs later myself or do both plugs and wires at once? Kinda don't mind him just getting it done.. As long as it doesn't take forever.. I know some spark plugs are hard to get to on our cars.
                      Last edited by Camaro3800v6; 07-14-2018, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Ngk tr55's are good for stock, Might as well do the spark plugs easier to reach with the headers off, plus they be good for another 100k miles so you shouldn't have to worry about them. The heat sleeves are probably your best bet from keeping the wires from burning on the headers. If the headers are off its real easy to change spark plugs, with the headers on #4 and #6 can be a pain.

Comment

Msd 32799

Noticed there's atleast 2 different Msd part numbers that fit 3.8s so is this the right Msd 8.5 that comes with the right 90 degree boots?

Ngk v power Tr55/3951

these will work?

Going to to check some auto part stores to find them faster
                          Last edited by Camaro3800v6; 07-14-2018, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Yes the msd website says the 32799 will work and those should be the spark plugs, a parts store should carry the ngk tr55's.

Comment

the Msd 8.5s won't be at part stores? Trying to get this done, and stuff cost a lot to ship here. Not even sure if I can overnight ship.
                              Last edited by Camaro3800v6; 07-25-2018, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Just get some stock ones for the time being, and swap them out, not hard to do, the spark plugs are the hardest part when changing, wires you take one off and replace. That way you don't get confused on where they go.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                  Hello everyone!
                                  by Andy H
                                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                  3 weeks ago
                                • 3.4 slow to go
                                  hey there strangers!
                                  by 3.4 slow to go
                                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X