No announcement yet.

POS starter, bad sounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

actually the overflow reservoir (where you put coolant ONLY) is very low. I've put coolant in just a month ago.
    My whole system is Orangish from the old dexcool crap. I was just thinking after taking out dexcool (and switching to like Prestone antifreeze/coolant) the dexcool might clogg up or rust up my whole cooling system.
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Your coolant ain't moving!!!

Does anyone know what material the water pump impeller is made of? Plastic? Metal? Something else?

The water pump found on the Northstar V8s has an impeller that is made of plastic, and over time the heat makes it brittle. Then it start to disintegrate which slowly reduces its pumping capability, to the point where engine temps consistently get higher. Do our F-bodies have this problem as well??

DZ
      Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

should I get an Electric W/p and a 180amp alternator so I will gain extra HP?
        2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

would it even be worth it? I'm guessing like 2hp gain.

Comment

i think my oil looks pretty milky.
            I dont know if thats from putting Lucas Oil Stabalizer in there, or SeaFoam?

Comment

....or B-12 ChemTool
              like I said, I'm S.O.L.
              but I have the desire/will to tear into it (at only 32k miles).

Comment

not only is it milky, but it looks like the level has risen a good 4" on the dipstick

Comment

Originally posted by slow6:
                  not only is it milky, but it looks like the level has risen a good 4" on the dipstick
                  LOL, Pump that oil out and start selling it to oil companys.....youve hit a gold mine! KIDDING ;) Sounds to me like your intake manifold gasket is leaking and sucking coolant into the engine. Im am currently replacing my intake manifold gasket as we speek, my car is in a thousand peices in the garage. My was leaking coolant out the top, sounds like yours in leaking into the engine, im posting what pics i have so far on to my car site now. You need to get the upper and lower intake manifold gasket sets, 40 dollars total for both, id get you a new water pump too.
                  <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

also....never put sea foam or other addatives in you oil. Second, seafoam does not clean your intake, it might clean it some, but its not worth the time or money....its a huge mistake people are making. They think because its smokes, its cleaning, well, i can put motor oil in it and it smokes also, its just the oil, or chemecal buring. If you intake needs cleaning, take it apart and clean it!
                    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyZ72:
                      </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by slow6:
                      LOL, Pump that oil out and start selling it to oil companys.....youve hit a gold mine! KIDDING ;) </font>[/QUOTE]This is no laughing matter! J/K!!
                      My car is a POS!
                      Thanks for the invaluable advice! I will remove the upper and lower intake manifolds, re-gasket, and re-silicone them. Then I will take off the W/P and check for a cracked block there.
                      Thanks again guys! [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img]

Comment

you gave me a quote on the gaskets, but didnt tell me where from? thanks ;)
                        edit: I found a pair at Oreillys for $39.99?

[ March 09, 2006, 05:08 AM: Message edited by: slow6 ]

Comment

i have a hard time seeing how coolant is being sucked into the engine, while air is being blown out of the engine into the cooling system. heh

Comment

i bought the lower gasket at autozone...30 dollars, then i realized i needed the upper gasket to, i bought it at oreilly, 9.99. You can buy them anywhere, every one has them, its a very common engine. Im guessing your coolant cap on the radiator is bad also. Mine was original and i have a clear coolant recovery hose, i kept geting lots of air in it and i could not figure out why, truns out it was the cap, so... im guessing your cap is bad and thats where the air is comming from. IN MY "OPINION" THE BAD CAP EXPLANS THE AIR, THE LOWER INTAKE MAINIFOLD GASKET EXPLANS WHY COOLANT IS GETTING INTO YOUR OIL.

Comment

Thanks BobbyZ72. Your explaination is reasonable. I argure that is not in your opinion, but born from your experience, and I place great value on experience. This is what I like about this forum.

Slow6:
                              Spend the $40, put in the time and change the intake gaskets, rad cap, change the oil, top up and bleed the cooling system. Hey, at this point what have you got to loose? In fact I would go one step further, (since you'll have it half ripped apart already) at the same time change out the head gaskets and have the heads checked for warpage and/or cracks.

When you get it all put back together, monitor the oil and coolant very closely to make sure that all is ok.

I know the letdown and dissappointment that you are feeling, but this isn't the end of the world. With a bit of luck and wrench time (and some bloodied knuckles) you'll get through this. Keep the faith.

DZ
                              Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

i broke the stock radiator cap, so I have a new one, and it seems to be working fine...

I've never dissasembled the intake manifolds or heads before. I'm a little uneasy about it since I feel like I dont know what I'm doing. I guess I only need to know Torque specs if it is straight forward?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X