Lighter Camaro??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighter Camaro??

So my car needs to shed some pounds. Preferably at least 700 lbs :/. So i was wondering what needs to come out? Spare tire of course, dash board, headliner, back seat(s), any more ideas??

Re: Lighter Camaro??

700lbs is a lot to lose... probably not attainable without dropping a lot of $$$. Why not try to find some middle ground by shedding some weight and adding power?
    '99 Camaro
    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

One guy I know has a 00 Z28 that he got down to 3200 and it still has all the sound deadening, AC, full interior. He replaced the back glass with a plastic one and it drops like 50 pounds and he cut out the bumper supports which takes out quite a bit. 2900 is possible if you start taking sound deadening out and drop AC and stuff like that. Drop power windows and seats.

700 lbs is rediculous. Thats like a 2700 lb car or less. Id suggest leaving it around 3100 and adding more power. Nothing is more useless than a car you cant stand to drive.

Comment

Well the situation is that my friend called my 3.8 out. He drives a an all stock 05 acura tl, producing 270 hp. I have catback, eibach drop, cai, and 160 stat making me around 210 hp at the crankshaft of course. I dont want to loose to an import so the only idea that popped into my mind is shedding weight... Race is in 2 days :/

I calculated that he is pushing 12lbs per horsepower, but i am at 16 lbs per horsepower...

Comment

lol really. the FIRST idea was drop 700lbs? are you prepared to have a designated race car?

maybe you should just sabotage his car..
          Last edited by ACiFiC; 09-12-2011, 11:01 PM.
          Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
          1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
          1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
          2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

Originally posted by ACiFiC View Post
            lol really. the FIRST idea was drop 700lbs? are you prepared to have a designated race car?
            The weight is going to go back in after the race. Im not going to keep my car that light. Any other suggestions??

Comment

Can't lose to an import, so you're trying to find ways to butcher and strip your car to make it faster for one race? Sounds like a bad idea to me. You won't be able to drop that kind of weight in two days, if at all.

Your time would be better spent practicing launching, since that's about the only way you could get him. He has a couple advantages against you: power and limited slip. But you have weight and a better launch against him (RWD vs FWD). So work on getting the jump on it and hope that you can hold it. Or just take a loss and use that as motivation to improve your car.

Hopefully this is all going on at the track...
              '99 Camaro
              '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
              '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
                hopefully this is all going on at the track...

x2...
                Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
                1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
                1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
                2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

Damn, guess im getting my *** handed to by an import. Ill practice launch, but i doubt ill be able to keep the lead. I just have to believe right lol?? Thanks though...

Interior is coming out though, ill leave everything else alone...

Comment

borrow a car that looks identical to yours...no way your gunna even come close to loosing 700lbs...maybe closer to 160-170 lbs with your entire interior out including the radio.

Find some 15" wheels to save weight and give you a slightly better gear ratio, if possible borrow some skinnies for the front...you don't need slicks for the back, they will only hurt you being stock. If your mechanically inclined and feel comfortable pull your belt off...but you need to not run the car very long or you'll blow it from overheating it...I believe pulling the belt is good for a .10 though...but if you dont know what you're doing it will cost you a motor very easily...

race on damn near no gas...take anything that is not needed off the car...hell maybe even unbolt the spoiler...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

edit*

insist he use slicks...then wait for him to snap an axle shaft...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Find all the engine build parts locally, tune it over night, run some gears, and turbo it. Just get everything overnight shipped.

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                          hell maybe even unbolt the spoiler...
                          LOL
                          Too risky for me to run the belt off, especially since its my daily driver... I probably can get some 15" wheels though D:

Originally posted by Docta View Post
                          Find all the engine build parts locally, tune it over night, run some gears, and turbo it. Just get everything overnight shipped.
                          College vs loosing against an import, lets keep my dignity and use college fund to kill the ricer :p

Comment

College vs loosing against an import, lets keep my dignity and use college fund to kill the ricer :p
                            Uh. That seems perfectly reasonable. Hence why I'm not doing a single bit of it. PERFECT PLAN.

Comment

You have to stop and think.. your drivetrain has been around since mid-1995 and it's pratically unchanged compare to his.

Your car would actually be lighter than his even without the weight reduction. Your best bet is to install Nitrous 70 shot.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                4 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X