How do I delete this tail light emblem - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I delete this tail light emblem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I delete this tail light emblem

I want to replace it with reflective ones. How I remove it without scratching it off.
    Attached Files

have you tried a hair dryer / heat gun and peeling at it?

I found this video, but it seems pretty intrusive...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Thanks Mike. That's what I didn't want to do. No matter how much he buffed it it's not the same anymore once it wears out.

Comment

Is there a spray remover that you can use? I have also read a lot of people saying they go their hands on a pinstripe/decal remover spray that body shops use- may be worth investigating- I agree in the video it didn’t look as shiny as it originally was...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post

I found this video, but it seems pretty intrusive...
          Yes - because the OEM is not a decal - it's painted - and the name and bird are embossed so you can't change the style of either.

Only Formulas had blank center panels - that's what I have - so I was able to put the decals I wanted on it without any issues.

There was someone cleaning, polishing and installing decals on the panel on eBay in the past.

My logo is my center panel.
          Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

I've removed my decal with sandpaper! I think I used around 600 grit and worked my way up to 2000 or 2500. I then used a few polishes. Believe i started with a rubbing compound then scratch-x and then plastix. I kept shifting between these polishes and eventually used a clay bar, meguiars #7 and then topped with wax. It's been over 5 years and it looks great! Can use the same process if/when the filler gets a white oxidation build-up.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Still thinking about it.

Comment

I came across this site and it reminded me of your post. They have reflective options that you could possible simple adhere over your originals. Just a thought.

https://www.pfyc.com/FB1005.html

I have never used them or the site, just a bit of info I fell over. :)

Comment

Hey, thanks. More likely I will do an overlay.

Comment

What about using black vinyl wrap over the top of the existing panel and adding your preferred design over that? If it ended up looking a bit crap you'd be able to just peel it off with no permanent damage done.. a sample roll (5' x 12") can be had for under $10 on Amazon, I think.

I have some sun damaged clear coat between my T-tops and the rear screen and am thinking about using black wrap to hide it.

Anyone's thoughts or experience with wrap would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

I decided to place the decal over it. I did placed it on a black vinyl first and cut over with some overlap and place that over the stock ones. Ot looks good, but not great.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X