How do I delete this tail light emblem - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I delete this tail light emblem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I delete this tail light emblem

I want to replace it with reflective ones. How I remove it without scratching it off.
    Attached Files

have you tried a hair dryer / heat gun and peeling at it?

I found this video, but it seems pretty intrusive...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro
    1996 3800 camaro- Gone - still the fastest N/A Canadian 3.8L F-body
    V6 best: 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

My Current Build | Synthetic Oil | Videos

Comment

Thanks Mike. That's what I didn't want to do. No matter how much he buffed it it's not the same anymore once it wears out.

Comment

Is there a spray remover that you can use? I have also read a lot of people saying they go their hands on a pinstripe/decal remover spray that body shops use- may be worth investigating- I agree in the video it didn’t look as shiny as it originally was...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro
        1996 3800 camaro- Gone - still the fastest N/A Canadian 3.8L F-body
        V6 best: 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

My Current Build | Synthetic Oil | Videos

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post

I found this video, but it seems pretty intrusive...
          Yes - because the OEM is not a decal - it's painted - and the name and bird are embossed so you can't change the style of either.

Only Formulas had blank center panels - that's what I have - so I was able to put the decals I wanted on it without any issues.

There was someone cleaning, polishing and installing decals on the panel on eBay in the past.

My logo is my center panel.
          Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

I've removed my decal with sandpaper! I think I used around 600 grit and worked my way up to 2000 or 2500. I then used a few polishes. Believe i started with a rubbing compound then scratch-x and then plastix. I kept shifting between these polishes and eventually used a clay bar, meguiars #7 and then topped with wax. It's been over 5 years and it looks great! Can use the same process if/when the filler gets a white oxidation build-up.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Still thinking about it.

Comment

I came across this site and it reminded me of your post. They have reflective options that you could possible simple adhere over your originals. Just a thought.

https://www.pfyc.com/FB1005.html

I have never used them or the site, just a bit of info I fell over.

Comment

Hey, thanks. More likely I will do an overlay.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                    Po300 random misfire is back
                    ssms5411
                    Like title says random misfire is back, hard to start also, have to give it gas when cranking it over to start for about 2 years now, thought it was something...
                    1 day ago
                  • 2.8 Bird
                    Walbro 255?
                    2.8 Bird
                    So I was about to purchase this from ebay and the seller told me it won't work for my 98 v6 firebird.

He said it's only for v8. I thought...
                    1 week ago
                  • ssms5411
                    Dtc 341 cam sensor
                    ssms5411
                    So last few times Ive started and let the Camaro run for 20min. I ve got a dtc 341 cam sensor, replaced the sensor about a couple of months ago, when...
                    1 week ago
                  • ssms5411
                    Found a good used console
                    ssms5411
                    Got one off ebay, mines cracked in a few places . And of course the lid is broken off, all the used ones off ebay had them all broken off. Also got some...
                    2 weeks ago
                  • Phillpatton18
                    Exhaust manifold bolts
                    Phillpatton18
                    Having trouble with the passenger side exhaust manifold bolts. Any advice to make the job easier. Been a pain in the ass...
                    2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X