How do I delete this tail light emblem - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I delete this tail light emblem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I delete this tail light emblem

I want to replace it with reflective ones. How I remove it without scratching it off.
    Attached Files

have you tried a hair dryer / heat gun and peeling at it?

I found this video, but it seems pretty intrusive...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Thanks Mike. That's what I didn't want to do. No matter how much he buffed it it's not the same anymore once it wears out.

Comment

Is there a spray remover that you can use? I have also read a lot of people saying they go their hands on a pinstripe/decal remover spray that body shops use- may be worth investigating- I agree in the video it didn’t look as shiny as it originally was...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post

I found this video, but it seems pretty intrusive...
          Yes - because the OEM is not a decal - it's painted - and the name and bird are embossed so you can't change the style of either.

Only Formulas had blank center panels - that's what I have - so I was able to put the decals I wanted on it without any issues.

There was someone cleaning, polishing and installing decals on the panel on eBay in the past.

My logo is my center panel.
          Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

I've removed my decal with sandpaper! I think I used around 600 grit and worked my way up to 2000 or 2500. I then used a few polishes. Believe i started with a rubbing compound then scratch-x and then plastix. I kept shifting between these polishes and eventually used a clay bar, meguiars #7 and then topped with wax. It's been over 5 years and it looks great! Can use the same process if/when the filler gets a white oxidation build-up.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Still thinking about it.

Comment

I came across this site and it reminded me of your post. They have reflective options that you could possible simple adhere over your originals. Just a thought.

https://www.pfyc.com/FB1005.html

I have never used them or the site, just a bit of info I fell over. :)

Comment

Hey, thanks. More likely I will do an overlay.

Comment

What about using black vinyl wrap over the top of the existing panel and adding your preferred design over that? If it ended up looking a bit crap you'd be able to just peel it off with no permanent damage done.. a sample roll (5' x 12") can be had for under $10 on Amazon, I think.

I have some sun damaged clear coat between my T-tops and the rear screen and am thinking about using black wrap to hide it.

Anyone's thoughts or experience with wrap would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

I decided to place the decal over it. I did placed it on a black vinyl first and cut over with some overlap and place that over the stock ones. Ot looks good, but not great.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                        Had to get another phone
                        by ssms5411
                        Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                        1 week ago
                      • ssms5411
                        Leaking front cover
                        by ssms5411
                        So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                        2 weeks ago
                      • transamtom1
                        Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                        by transamtom1
                        Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                        3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X