Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor

o ok, well on the stock 3.4L setup where does that temp sensor go? Why wouldn't I be able to use the sensor that I already have?

Comment

OK I have a quick question. I know Russel doesn't post here anymore, so maybe someone else could answer it for me.

Originally posted by black34v6
      I still haven’t dynoed the current setup that I’m running, but it’s enough that to date I have beaten a 1996 Convertible Z28 that was going all out to catch up to me and couldn’t until I decided to let off the gas a little. A 3.4L with parts from GM’s factory shelves, complete with casting flaws – keeping the car from being caught by a stock 1996 Z28.
      Now does anyone know if this was just the head swap, or if he had any other mods, such as nitrous or something? I don't understand how if the 3.4/3400 hybrid has the same HP as the 3.8 how it is so much faster. With the heads maybe the 3.4 is a superior engine? Thanks for any info.

Comment

I am still on this board :: Just so everyone knows: I am Russell.

I just changed my name. I am the original guy that did this whole swap and posted the threads here on THIS BOARD FIRST back in November of 2001. I currently post very little on any board due to the work I do on my own car club website and message board : www.westcoastfbodies.com

I still come by and read and post here every so often.

To answer the Q: All I did to beat the Z28 was swap on a set of 3400 heads. I was running the stock 3.4L RWD cam - RKSport headers, and everythign i've listed in the swap beforehand.

To answer the other Q: on the 3.4 RWD there are 2 Temperature sensors. one in the front near the thermo for SFI - and another back in teh back of the block for the temp guage on the dashboard. GM makes a 3-wire temperature sensor that will fit in the one spot for the SFI reading, and give you both the SFI and the guage off the same unit. I'm running it in my car and have been for about 2 years. works way better than the way i originally had it setup. (one sensor at the thermo for SFI / one sensor behind the thermo for the guages)
        Last edited by black34v6; 04-12-2007, 01:45 PM.

hybrid - \'\'hI-br&d - The offspring of a cross between species.
        Co-Founder West Coast F-Bodies
        West Coast F-Bodies Car Club - WCFB Message Board

Comment

Ok so my main thing is I dont have the time to pull the motor and replace the pistons...But it I got the heads from a 99 or older grand am 3400 with the smaller valves would I still need too? And what about the 3100 heads? Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by reillyracing
            Ok so my main thing is I dont have the time to pull the motor and replace the pistons...But it I got the heads from a 99 or older grand am 3400 with the smaller valves would I still need too? And what about the 3100 heads? Thanks guys
            From what I've gathered, the pistons must be changed, regardless of the year of the heads.

I really wanna start this project, the only problem I've having is finding a place to pull the engine and put the car. Its probably easiest to get the engine out from the bottom, right? I may have access to the school lift if I'm lucky. Does anyone know about how long it takes to get the engine out? Any tips? Thanks.

Comment

i did mine out the top.

either way i think is fine - whatever you can do.

and yes, the pistons need to be changed.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Beast
                From what I've gathered, the pistons must be changed, regardless of the year of the heads.

I really wanna start this project, the only problem I've having is finding a place to pull the engine and put the car. Its probably easiest to get the engine out from the bottom, right? I may have access to the school lift if I'm lucky. Does anyone know about how long it takes to get the engine out? Any tips? Thanks.
                Yeh its easiest to pull it from the bottom.....The first time I pulled mine It took me like 6 hours but I diconnected the A/C which was a waste of time....Its really easy to do...For me its just the time and money of pulling it agian.

Comment

So I went to the junkyard today. They have an 01 Impala 3400 that they want $750 for. This seems like a pretty good deal to me, it has the long block including the fuel rail and wiring stuff. Does this sound like a good deal to you guys? Oh yeah, what else would I need? Just that temp sensor? Thanks.

Comment

Okay, just a few questions.

As I understand it, the 3.4 has forged rods/pistons.

1. What material are the rods/pistons in the 3400?

2. Also, after the piston/head/intake/fuel rail/injector swap, is the car driveable without being tuned?

3. For the original poster, with the 3400 stuff installed, was your car tuned before you ran it?

4. What camshaft options are there once the 3400 topend is swapped? 3.4L cams will work or what?

5. With the 3400 head gaskets, the coolant issues are non issues? Should I use 3.4 or 3400 gaskets?

I have a complete 3400 engine lined up, I just need to know what I need to do. I won't be able to tune it immediately. Is the only option the megasquirt?
                    2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SE D20 M5 - Modified ;) <a href=\"http://www.knightenmotorsports.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.knightenmotorsports.com</a> <br />[ U R L = h t t p : / / w w w . g e o c i t i e s . c o m / h e a r t l a n d _ h e a t _ v 6 ] Heartland Heat V6 [ / U R L ]

Comment

no the 3.4 does not have forged pistons.

the rods are forged steel, the pistons are cast aluminum. the 3400 has the exact same parts. just made for different combustion chamber sizes.

I installed all of the stuff onto my car and had it running in about a day - without tuning the ecm. it is doable but you wont see the most power out of it because the spark advance is way too high for the aluminum heads, you need to tune it down a little, as well as the fuel table.

so while i have been running the car since 2001 with the stock ecm... it'd be better if you could tune it.

i dont have any coolant issues.

you can use any cam that is available for the 3.4L RWD - you cannot use the roller cams made for the 3400 unless you can retrofit the block, and the only person i know that did that is turboz24 (curtis on 60degreev6.com) and he wasnt really forthcoming with his secrets.

and yes the only option i have found is megasquirt.

Comment

Originally posted by black34v6
                        no the 3.4 does not have forged pistons.

the rods are forged steel, the pistons are cast aluminum. the 3400 has the exact same parts. just made for different combustion chamber sizes.

I installed all of the stuff onto my car and had it running in about a day - without tuning the ecm. it is doable but you wont see the most power out of it because the spark advance is way too high for the aluminum heads, you need to tune it down a little, as well as the fuel table.

so while i have been running the car since 2001 with the stock ecm... it'd be better if you could tune it.

i dont have any coolant issues.

you can use any cam that is available for the 3.4L RWD - you cannot use the roller cams made for the 3400 unless you can retrofit the block, and the only person i know that did that is turboz24 (curtis on 60degreev6.com) and he wasnt really forthcoming with his secrets.

and yes the only option i have found is megasquirt.
                        Okay, that helps.

If I ran an MSD DIS-4, I could retard the spark advance some, and if I ran an AFPR I could adjust the fuel pressure for the injectors, right? That should get me reasonably close.

I am buying a 3400 engine next weekend, so I guess I'll use the heads, intake(s), throttlebody, pistons, injectors, and fuel rail, then I'll tune it some with the AFPR .

Any suggestions on fuel pressure changes? I was planning on running 91 octane fuel. Perhaps by doing this I can get away with the more advanced ignition for now.

The way you have it now though, you aren't having any knock issues, etc are you?

Megasquirt is in the future, as well as nitrous. I hope I can get the timing adjusted so I can run 100-125hp worth of a wet nitrous setup. 91 + tr6 plugs will prolly help (as well as a 4 degree retard from an msd dis-4 on nitrous activation).

edit:

and I need to use the variable length push rods from the 3400 too? Those will still work with the stock cam?
                        Last edited by speedracer95v6; 04-15-2007, 02:46 PM.
                        2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SE D20 M5 - Modified ;) <a href=\"http://www.knightenmotorsports.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.knightenmotorsports.com</a> <br />[ U R L = h t t p : / / w w w . g e o c i t i e s . c o m / h e a r t l a n d _ h e a t _ v 6 ] Heartland Heat V6 [ / U R L ]

Comment

the fuel isnt the issue. its the spark advance. you will get 19# injectors out of the 3400 so thats a pretty good deal. i dont HEAR knock - but the ECM records it (according to my auto xray); so i suppose yes i do have knock issues. as i said the spark advance is way way too much for the aluminum heads.

just fyi - i have run everything from 87/91 octane in the car. (91 being the highest i can get here in CA).

oh yea -- one more fyi for everyone: if you are in a state that has smog checks you will fail your state smog inspection if you do this. no questions about it.

Comment

Icky...well, I guess I need to figure out where I need the timing to be so I can get my spray on...

I heard that with 19lb injectors ~35lbs at the fuel pressure regulator would be good (assuming an AFPR). What have you done as far as this goes?
                            Last edited by speedracer95v6; 04-16-2007, 10:51 AM.

Comment

<shrugs> so far? nothing.

everything on the engine aside from the heads, intake manifolds and now camshaft are stock - completely.

Comment

that's impressive. I'm getting all the parts together now. How is the idle on that cam? Could you tell a decent difference?

I would love to see track numbers on your car. Prolly pretty nice for a 3.4L.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X