Damm Head gasket........................................ - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damm Head gasket........................................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Damm Head gasket........................................

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
    Either way it looks like you're gonna have to pull the head. Torque it and see what happens.
    Looks like its the head gasket just because its leaking right on start up with no pressure in the system damm MLS gaskets , will be going back to stock head gaskets.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Sorry to hear that. But aren't MLS the best gasket you could get for our cars?

Comment

Atleast you can FIND your coolant leak... My radiator is empty every week and I cant find where its going.
        1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Camaro View Post
          Atleast you can FIND your coolant leak... My radiator is empty every week and I cant find where its going.
          Same thing happened to me. I changed the water pump and sealed it, along with UIM gasket and it still wasn't fixed so I took off all UIM, LIM, WP and all of that it was the little black coolant elbow hiding waaaay in the middle of nowhere. You should check that out.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
            Looks like its the head gasket just because its leaking right on start up with no pressure in the system damm MLS gaskets , will be going back to stock head gaskets.
            I had the same issue even after using the copper spray on all three layers. I used the GM coolant tabs and it stopped the leak. Also known as "Cadillac pills." I read about it on one of the turbo buick forums.

Comment

Originally posted by WarShrike View Post
              I had the same issue even after using the copper spray on all three layers. I used the GM coolant tabs and it stopped the leak. Also known as "Cadillac pills." I read about it on one of the turbo buick forums.
              Is that like stop leak? Where can I get the coolant tabs? I used copper spray on all 4 of the gaskets.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Those will stop the leak, they make your coolant dirty as F**k though.

I use Fel-Pro gaskets on my build no problems :D Although I used MLS Gaskets on my GP builds, even re-used them and always came out fine. I used the stock torque pattern and do 20, 60, 80. And then let it sit for a day or two and re-torque.

Comment

I guess I'll give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Camaro View Post
                    Back of the engine - LIM gasket - that's where my mystery leak was.

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                      Is that like stop leak? Where can I get the coolant tabs? I used copper spray on all 4 of the gaskets.
                      I picked it up from the dealership. Old guy at the counter knew exactly what I was talking about when I said cadillac tabs lol!

I'd just add a little at a time, crush it up first in a little baggie and add it with the car warm until you stop getting leaks or dissolve it in hot water first. That way you have just the right amount in there, not too much.

Here's the thread I had found back when I had issues with my MLS gaskets. I've put over 15K miles of DD and hard use on them in both 110°F and almost 0°F temps without issues.

LINK

Comment

Well I tried Bars Stop leak profesional brand at $30 a bottle and it looks like it worked very well, no more leaks.

Comment

Woohoo! That's good to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by mousemonster1232 View Post
                            Woohoo! That's good to hear.

Saves me the time tearing it apart, yes its a good day.lol

Comment

I would never put that in my car...
                              Last edited by ssms5411; 02-10-2012, 08:14 PM.
                              Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

[QUOTE=flamingchicken;1024519]I would never put that in my car...[/QUOTE

]Its better than pulling the heads, I was always agains't it also, thats why I waited. Will see if it holds up, if I was gettiing antifrezze in my oil I would of pulled them in a heart beat but it was just leaking out the edge of the head. Will see.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X