Damm Head gasket........................................ - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damm Head gasket........................................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Damm Head gasket........................................

Did you use mls gaskets the first time? Reason I ask is because I've found them to be very expensive but also very forgiving. The mls set I have on my race car have been cycled 4 times now with no leaks .

Comment

Originally posted by htmabe View Post
      Did you use mls gaskets the first time? Reason I ask is because I've found them to be very expensive but also very forgiving. The mls set I have on my race car have been cycled 4 times now with no leaks .
      Yeah I reused them. If they were regular gaskets I would of replaced them.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Yeah, I couldn't get enough oomph on it so I had to stand in the engine bay when I replaced my gaskets lol!

Comment

Originally posted by WarShrike View Post
          Yeah, I couldn't get enough oomph on it so I had to stand in the engine bay when I replaced my gaskets lol!
          I hear that, I'm using a 2ft metal pipe on the wrench to break loose the bolts and to TQ them back down.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

So its taking me about a week but got the drivers side done and just need to put my Promags and retorque the rocker arm bolts back down on the passenger side, I'm glad I used Comp reusable bolts. then just put the valve cover on and change the oil and I'm done. Will try to fire it up tomorrow or Sunday.

Comment

Got everything back together and fired her up and after about 5mins it started to misfire on 3 and 5 again. And like before the engine doesn't hesitate or sputter, it runs great just shows up on the scanner that its missing and I'll get a PO300 random misfire. I noticed it stops misfiring if I rev. it up to about 2000 rpms. The engine is alot smoother now, thats one thing I noticed. I'm going to test drive it tomorrow and see how it runs. I'm thinking its the fuel injectors now since it did start after filling it up, let me know what you think? I'm at a loss.
              Last edited by ssms5411; 02-12-2014, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Maybe try pulling the 3 and 5 injectors and swapping them with other cylinders and see if the misfire follows them. It sounds like you probably wouldn't be able to tell just by listening to them as it currently sits.
                aka FreedStyle
                Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
                2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by CFreed11 View Post
                  Maybe try pulling the 3 and 5 injectors and swapping them with other cylinders and see if the misfire follows them. It sounds like you probably wouldn't be able to tell just by listening to them as it currently sits.
                  Yeah, thats my next plan, in December I drove it to emissions and it passed with no misfires or codes and on the way back I filled up with 91 octane and from then on it started to do the misfire after about a day or 2 later it started to do the misfire.

Comment

An old farmer once told me 90% all carbureter rebuilds are electrical in nature. I still use that in my troubleshooting. I'm not saying fuel injectors never go bad or clog just not very often with a good fuel filter maintained. I take it there are no codes other than p300 random misfire. Assuming from what I read previously wires are good. plugs are new and so are the coils. I think I would be looking at the Icm. Never heard mention of that part. Also wonder about fuel pressure, could the pump be getting weak? Not 100% all the time kinda thing. Maybe after swapping around fuel injectors. Just a thought.

Comment

Plug wires, coils, ICM, and spark plugs are new. I leaning towards a bad PCM rather than fuel injectors but I'm going to swap them anyways just to make sure, their 65lbers. I got about 4 extra PCMs so swapping it out won't be a problem. I have a Walbro 255 pump so if nothing else works, I'll test the fuel pressure. I think I have a extra 255 pump also so if its the pump I have a spare. My worst fear is that the head has cracks and is slowly leaking coolant in to the cylinders, thats the worst case problem I can see. I'm going to watch the coolant level too make sure.

Comment

Do 3 and 5 share the same coil pack by chance? I don't remember and don't have anything to reference at the moment.
                        aka FreedStyle
                        Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
                        2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by CFreed11 View Post
                          Do 3 and 5 share the same coil pack by chance? I don't remember and don't have anything to reference at the moment.
                          Nope they don't, only thing they have in common is their next to each other on the head.

Comment

Does'nt sound as electrical in nature as much anymore however the one thing not supporting the crack theory is I thought you said it was intermittent. A cracked head would run like shyte all the time. Walbro pump is'nt some cheap overseas junk. Coils aren't shared Icm is good . No po102 code . Starting to wonder if a crack is the culprit. If that's the case the spark plugs will tell you and so will coolant level. Imho I would drive it a while and keep an eye on coolant level , while checking spark plugs. If coolant is getting in the combustion chamber those plugs will be as clean as new and radiator will be low. As small as the leak sounds it may take a week of normal driving.

Comment

Yeah it shows on the scanner the misfire on 3 and 5 all the time, if I rev. it up to around 2000 rpms it won't show the misfires. It runs great and sounds great. So I'm going to drive it alittle to see if its sucking down coolant.

Comment

When I cracked my head on my race car I severely overheated it when the fan went through the radiator and disconnected the temp gauge. I only ended up with one cracked head out of the deal but car ran like crap at all rpms and I couldn't get it to idle at all. I didn't read anything about a severe overheat from you. Scanner can kind of suggest cracked head being it pinpoints 3 and 5 but I'm still betting electrical,icm,coils,maf possible but no p102 ,sporatic pump pressure. Hope it's something easier than cracked head what ever it is driving it will help pinpoint.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X