Obx headers leaking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Obx headers leaking.

Problem with both those solution is the way the joint is designed. The "Ball joint" design they used needs to be held together tight but allowed to move as the engine moves with torque. Thats why they have springs. If you tighten the bolts too tight when its cold the joint will not slip and the joint will get damaged. You can put it at the right torgue when its cold but once the bolts get hot the joint will get too loose and leak. The spings allow the bolts to grow and shrink but still keep equal correct presssure on the joint at all times.

If you install a sealer it may hold for a little while but since the joint is designed to move it will and when it does the sealer bond will be broken.

I will need to get my car jacked up to take a picture. But the fix I came up with is easy and will allow the joint to work as its designed. I think I spent $10 at the local hardware store.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorn_96 View Post
      Problem with both those solution is the way the joint is designed. The "Ball joint" design they used needs to be held together tight but allowed to move as the engine moves with torque. Thats why they have springs. If you tighten the bolts too tight when its cold the joint will not slip and the joint will get damaged. You can put it at the right torgue when its cold but once the bolts get hot the joint will get too loose and leak. The spings allow the bolts to grow and shrink but still keep equal correct presssure on the joint at all times.

If you install a sealer it may hold for a little while but since the joint is designed to move it will and when it does the sealer bond will be broken.

I will need to get my car jacked up to take a picture. But the fix I came up with is easy and will allow the joint to work as its designed. I think I spent $10 at the local hardware store.

Pacesetters are built the same way and don't use the springs. I have had zero problems with them in over 3 years. You do have to be careful about not over tightening them.
      sigpic

Comment

Thats cool, Saves me from jacking up my car.

Comment

ok your supposed to put the springs through the bolt between the header and the flange right? i did that but the springs are too short so when i tighten it the springs hold not tention and just rattle.

Comment

Originally posted by Richardcoelho View Post
            ok your supposed to put the springs through the bolt between the header and the flange right? i did that but the springs are too short so when i tighten it the springs hold not tention and just rattle.

UM........NO!

Between the nut and the flange on the Y pipe.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
              UM........NO!

Between the nut and the flange on the Y pipe.
              haha thats what i taught when i was installing it but there is no way that can be done the bolt is no where long enough but if it wount do damage with out it ill leave it as it is

Comment

Originally posted by Richardcoelho View Post
                haha thats what i taught when i was installing it but there is no way that can be done the bolt is no where long enough but if it wount do damage with out it ill leave it as it is

I would just take the springs out and replace the nuts with an all metal lock nut.
                sigpic

Comment

ok i did the rtv copper and it stopped the flange leak as far as i could tell and the egr but it sounds like something is still leaking,sounds like a slight misfire at idle which is reading lean,i let it warm up and the idle was weird and sounded exactly like i have a cam in it thats when the AFR would read 18.0 but after a bit you see it starting to go towards the rich mark and it idles pretty good but stays at mid 15's to high 15's and at crusing it will be between 14.8 to 15.3 i think this is normal right?

Comment

quick question,what is the purpose of a breather on the valve cover,by doing this does it get rid of the vacume lines like the pcv valve etc? because i want to get rid of those things is there a way to do this?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X