Obx headers leaking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obx headers leaking.

Does anyone have problems with their obx headers for the 3.8? i recently got a set and they bolt up easily and look excellent but for some reason i think it's leaking from where they meet up at the y pipe and there is no gasket for the flange,also i dont know what the 4 springs do,they say it is supposed to go over the y pipe bolts but the're too short and the have no tention and they just rattle so i removed them for now.so please if anyone has these headers or any idea that can probably fix my problem please let me know.

Re: Obx headers leaking.

Originally posted by Richardcoelho View Post
    Does anyone have problems with their obx headers for the 3.8? i recently got a set and they bolt up easily and look excellent but for some reason i think it's leaking from where they meet up at the y pipe and there is no gasket for the flange,also i dont know what the 4 springs do,they say it is supposed to go over the y pipe bolts but the're too short and the have no tention and they just rattle so i removed them for now.so please if anyone has these headers or any idea that can probably fix my problem please let me know.
    Yeah, that header is still too new for most of us to know.

I know that xsvtank is also getting one. You should check with him and see how his setup is going.

Do you have pics?

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

hi im about to put them on like friday but i own a pair. how do they fit on your car do you have any pictures?

Comment

A good idea would be take them to a exhaust shop and have 3 bolt flanges welded on , best investment I did for my RK Sport headers. Then use copper flanges with copper rtv spray when connecting the pipes. Also Felpro header gaskets with the copper spray works outstanding seals up great.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

xsvtank and I will be installing OBX headers this weekend (hopefully). There are two pipes, that make up the "Y" pipe. One L shaped that crosses from the drivers side header across the bottom of the engine and slips into the passenger side pipe that goes from the pass header to the cat. Are you leaking from that junction or where the whole setup meets the cat? I measured the pipe at the cat and the OEM pipe is not round in this section. Did you use a new cat or cut off the OEM Y pipe behind the bung for the o2 sensor just before the cat? If it is going to leak his looks like the most likely place for a leak to develop.
          There is no clamp supplied so It look like welding this junction may be the best option.
          Scott

Comment

il put some pic up later today

Comment

here are the pics,yes they started out like chrome but then the got a buautiful gold,then they get dull,it may look like rust but it's not just use some brasso and polish them up and they would look great.

up to this point i don't know what the springs have to do with the flange bolts.
              Last edited by Richardcoelho; 08-25-2009, 05:11 PM.

Comment

the springs are used with the bolts to keep tension on them and keep the bolts from loosening up. Common with exhaust flanges
                http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

I just finished a install. I was unable to use most of what they gave me. I used the springs only. The bolts that came with where only 2-1/2 inchs long. They barely reach to from one flange to the other not less use a sping. I bought some Stainless 4 inch bolts I think, I installed a Stainless jam nut so the bolts would be fixed to the header like a stud. I then test fited everything and found the basic nut location. I soaked that area with red loc tight and put everthing back together.
                  Car sounds great. I can try to get pic of the actual bolt assembly tomorrow if you would like.

The sound
                  http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ent=Drive1.flv
                  Last edited by Gorn_96; 08-25-2009, 09:08 PM.

Comment

are these headers any good?

Comment

Probably no different from any other header for the price. You get what you pay for.

Comment

Richardcoelho Thanks for the pics. I like the touch of gold. This thread just provided more info on these headers than I have been able to find ANYWHERE. As noted the bolts are an an annoyance but an easy fix. It looks like you already had it welded up so if all those welds are good I would look at the flange where it meets the header. I am not aware of any sealer that will survive on that ball type flange. The 3 bolt flange idea is probably the best permanant fix, but its going to cost a few $$, at least here in NJ that work does not come cheap. Possbly separating the flanges, cleaning the mating surfaces and re-tightening it all up real good might work.

I will take a good look at mine to see how close the surfaces on the flanges mate up to the Y pipe.

What CAT's did you guys use? I was hoping to use the stock CAT and just weld the new Y pipe to it. As I said in my earlier post this might be a PITA or not even possible because the pipe is not round. Possible a pipe expander may help me. Has anyone used the factory CAT with this setup?

gorn_96 - I saw your vid ---- sounds nice ----- what muffler are you running?

Thanks
                        Scott

Comment

I was looking at the Remflex site (these gaskets DO NOT LEAK) and found a flange gasket that is 2 1/8 ID x 2 7/8 OD. I called home and my daughter measured the opening at the ball end of the header at 2 7/16. It is part #RF8022 see it at: http://catalog.remflex.com/COLLECTOR...t_p/rf8022.htm

Its a guess but they just MIGHT work to help seal your leak.

scott

Comment

Originally posted by Scott H View Post
                            I was looking at the Remflex site (these gaskets DO NOT LEAK) and found a flange gasket that is 2 1/8 ID x 2 7/8 OD. I called home and my daughter measured the opening at the ball end of the header at 2 7/16. It is part #RF8022 see it at: http://catalog.remflex.com/COLLECTOR...t_p/rf8022.htm

Its a guess but they just MIGHT work to help seal your leak.

scott
                            thanks alot man but i just got some copper rtv seal so ill try that first and hopefully it works i will also pus some pics of my interior when i get it detailed.

Comment

I would do away with the springs and just use shorter bolts and lock nuts.
                              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X