My Headers Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Headers Install

When I did my pacesetters, I got the passenger side on first and hooked up those plug wires then started on the driver side. I was so amped to have my new headers on that I completely forgot to hook the 3 plug wires up on the driver side. When I fired her up I was like wow it sounds like I have a cam, then I realized what was goin on and I killed the car and hooked everything back up.
    1997 Chevrolet Camaro
    L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

How's your back feeling?!! ;) Good job so far! :D Did similar work on my Vette about a month ago.
      2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
      1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
      2011 Cadillac CTS-V
      2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
      2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Update: (8-13-09)
        I have my O2 sensors in, and am bolting up the headers now.:) Problem is, the far left bolt has broken off and any attempts to remove it have failed. The far right hole is not threaded correctly. As of right now, only the inner 4 have bolts. Is that safe? Or should I go back and attempt to correct these problems?
        I have the two studs left in from the old manifolds, and have used the old nuts on those, and new header bolts on the other two. I also have double nutted the ones with the studs, so that should decrease the risk of coming loose.

Comment

Installed my headers about a year ago and it was not easy. The gasket on one side burned and was leaking.
          Camaro V6 1999- K&N Intake System
          - 3.73 gear
          - Jet DST Programer
          - Spark plugs (Split Fire) and wires (Taylor 8.5)
          - Headers (Pace) and Y- Pipe
          - Hi Flow Cat
          :stp:

Comment

Originally posted by enzia35 View Post
            Update: (8-13-09)
            I have my O2 sensors in, and am bolting up the headers now.:) Problem is, the far left bolt has broken off and any attempts to remove it have failed.
            Reverse drill it out.
            2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
            1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
            2011 Cadillac CTS-V
            2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
            2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

I'll look into it. Also maybe get a good set of grade 8 bolts, not the stuff that came with the headers. I started on the passenger side header, and could get the last 4 bolts in, but not the first two. One of them doesn't thread correctly, the other one doesn't thread in at all. This is aggravating.
              I did however test install the y-pipe. Everything fits just right.:cool:

Comment

Update: (8-14-09)
                Got the bolt out! Drenched it with PB, and it was actually my brother that got it loose.

Gratuitous pics of the O2 sensors.

I'm having a bit of trouble with the headers, gasket and bolt holes lining up. It takes perseverance. I got the passenger side almost bolted up. The driver's side has been nothing but trouble.
                Last edited by enzia35; 08-14-2009, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Update: (8-15-09)
                  Just started it up!:D Open y-pipe, and good lord she sounds good. Worst part is, the far back bolt has been dethreaded, so I am unable to bolt that last one down. It seems to work just fine though, maybe I have the others bolted down tight enough to not need it. Now I just have to hook up the catback, and go get it welded! On Monday.:( The shop is closed on Sunday's.

Comment

Ok, here's the problem.. Any leak before your o2 sensors can throw off readings and therefore your fueling corrections can be screwed a bit. I'd do anything I could to make sure those headers are bolted down as they should be. One little tiny leak will make a difference.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I got lucky. All of my studs came out with the nuts when I loosened them. Therefore it was all done in one step. But now I am getting a new engine so I guess my statement was useless lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                        Ok, here's the problem.. Any leak before your o2 sensors can throw off readings and therefore your fueling corrections can be screwed a bit. I'd do anything I could to make sure those headers are bolted down as they should be. One little tiny leak will make a difference.
                        I'll see if the muffler shop can do something with it.

Comment

Originally posted by enzia35 View Post
                          I'll see if the muffler shop can do something with it.
                          It may be leaking like a fish in that spot and you cant hear it because of the open y-pipe. I would defiantly keep an eye on that.

Comment

I got it hooked up today. Installed the catback, made a new s pipe. $100. It sounds awesome. The leak though...I will have to get the hole retapped. Otherwise performance suffers.

Comment

Thanks for posting this enzia. I'm curious, how much do you have in the headers and shop work? Can't wait for the sound clip...

Comment

Headers were ~$650 dollars, the Magnaflow catback was ~$450. The install cost me $100, which seems like a fair price.
                                I'll see about getting the sound clip up sometime this week.

From what I've heard, the headers and the catback were WELL worth the $1000 I spent on them. Very loud, very throaty. I'm almost afraid to drive at night. Install wasn't difficult at all, assuming that you have the tools necessary. They are almost silent at idle, even with the window open, but once the gas is pressed, it awakens.

ETA:
                                Ah, why the hell not. Took 5 minutes to make these. One inside, one outside. Each rev is 1k higher than the last.

Last edited by enzia35; 08-17-2009, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X