My Headers Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Headers Install

Hello all. This is going to be my headers install thread. I had bought the Clear Image Automotive 3.8L F-body headers back in March, and am just getting around to installing them now.

I had actually started yesterday, mostly prep work. I put the car on ramps, let it cool, then got started on removing the y-pipe bolts. Used generous amounts of PB Blaster. On the left side at least. The right side was unbolted no problems. The left side however...

It took a few hours to break them. Sad, I know.

Today, all I did was remove the spark plugs and spark plug wires. Not much today. Tried out a few of the manifold bolts. The two I tried were easily broke with not much effort.

For tomorrow, I'll probably cut the y-pipe off after the cat. That way, once I remove everything, I'll just run open y-pipe to the muffler shop to have the catback put on. I'll be removing the manifolds in the next few days. The reason it's going to be taking me so long is that I work 10 hours a day, so I don't have much energy after that.

ETA: (8-8-09)
    Got some of the manifold nuts out. These are the easier ones to reach.

I looked for a way to cut the exhaust post cat, but other than just removing the whole exhaust post cat, I see no other way than to cut the pipe pre cat.

I'll finish cutting it tomorrow, remove the rest of the nuts tomorrow.
    Last edited by enzia35; 08-08-2009, 08:45 PM.

Re: My Headers Install

Nice! Does your state has emmisions testing? If they don't you should just delete the cat, although you will get an SES light unless you have the code programmed out. We don't have testing here in Illinois, and I have my code deleted, Just waiting to cut off my cat! (PB Blaster is some good stuff. We use it at work and school. )
    auto, aluminum driveshaft, Fast Toys Ram Air, !air silencer, smoothed lid, Pacesetter shorties, 2 1/2" exhaust, !cat

New Time:
    15.11@91.14
    Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

I don't mind having the cat on. I already bought a new one anyhow.

Comment

well i put a highflow cat on last year after mine clogged. It sounded a little better. I'd really love some headers and true duals! :D
        auto, aluminum driveshaft, Fast Toys Ram Air, !air silencer, smoothed lid, Pacesetter shorties, 2 1/2" exhaust, !cat

New Time:
        15.11@91.14
        Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

looks good. take your time on this install, it will be worth it.

you got gaskets and new bolts all ready to go?

post a sound clip after your done man.
          1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
          1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
          1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
          2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

I was planning on using the bolts that came with the headers, but they look kinda cheap, and are pretty small. I've looked through Autozone, and found some back up ones, so if need be, I'll swing by and pick them up.

You can definitely bet there's gonna be a sound clip :-D.

Comment

Abbott header gaskets seem to be the most popular around here, I would go with those.

And on full throttle performance parts they have locking header bolts. They say that you tighten them once and dont have to go back and tighten them again. Seems like its worth the money, definitely because its a PITA to get to those bolts.

Anyone have experience with those bolts? I'd like to know if they work well.

Comment

http://www.gvperformance.com/store/i...&productId=275

Those are the stage 8 locking header bolts for our cars. A bit pricey but yea they won't loosen up on ya and gvperformance.com has free shipping for the month of August

I used grade 8 bolts from the local hardware store for my headers
                http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

yeah i have pacesetter headers with the stage 8 bolts bought em from gvperformance as well. and the abbot header gaskets.

ive had the headers on for about 4-5 months now and i just checked them last week and couldnt tighten them a bit. totally worth it.

might as well get the gaskets and the bolts and do it right the first time around.
                  1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
                  1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
                  1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
                  2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

Update: (8-11-09)
                    Finally got the old manifolds out, took a while due to not having the right tools.

Here's a comparision of the old and Clear Image headers. The new ones look very good.

Quick question though, are the studs supposed to be removed? I would think so, since they would interfere with the new bolts being put in.

Edit: Read through 97rs's guide again, and looks like the studs can be used. Probably best to use maybe one, for a guide for the gasket/header. Would make the job much much easier.
                    Last edited by enzia35; 08-11-2009, 07:34 PM.

Comment

I'd rather not start a new thread.

I was trying to readjust the car because it was sticking partly out of the garage. I had already removed the spark plug wires, cranked it 2-3 times, then realized that I had taken off the wires. When I put them back on, the idle was very very rough, almost stalling when just sitting there idle. Could I have messed up the coils? I had the y-pipe cut slightly, but I don't think that's it.

It's just been on my mind since I started.

Comment

Originally posted by enzia35 View Post
                        I'd rather not start a new thread.

I was trying to readjust the car because it was sticking partly out of the garage. I had already removed the spark plug wires, cranked it 2-3 times, then realized that I had taken off the wires. When I put them back on, the idle was very very rough, almost stalling when just sitting there idle. Could I have messed up the coils? I had the y-pipe cut slightly, but I don't think that's it.

It's just been on my mind since I started.
                        wires are on the wrong cylinders probably
                        http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

I've been pulling my wires and putting them back on ever since I got the car.. and I still occasionally mix the wires up. I triple check them myself ever since I actually started the car with them mixed around once.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Alright, thanks guys.

Update: (8-12-09)
                            Decided to get new O2 sensors, hopefully some higher quality ones, so I'll be getting those in tomorrow. Decided to cut the catback off today, so I did. Went to Wal-Mart to pick up some jack stands, and prepared to get my car on jack stands for the first time.

It was a harrowing experience.

Next up, I started cutting off right after the over-axle pipe, hoping I could just thread it through that way. Didn't work out that way, as I didn't cut far enough up. So I had to cut through the exhaust pipes twice. I'm only using a hacksaw too.

Once I get my O2 sensors in tomorrow, then I'll be installing them into the headers, then attach the y-pipe, hook up my Magnaflows, then off we go to the welding shop!

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                              I've been pulling my wires and putting them back on ever since I got the car.. and I still occasionally mix the wires up. I triple check them myself ever since I actually started the car with them mixed around once.
                              I put #'s on my wires, alot easier.
                              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X