A few pics, turbo under K setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A few pics, turbo under K setup

You need to preheat the aluminum part you are welding. You also need it to be spanking new clean. They make some acid products to clean aluminum before you weld it. I normally just TIG aluminum because of the time it takes to change the wire, gas and gun liner over in the MIG. But I would guess It takes between 1 1/2 - 2 times the heat for the aluminum as it would the same thickness steel. Aluminum melts at a lower temp, but dissipates heat way faster too. You also will find yourself moving more then twice as fast running the MIG bead when welding aluminum, when you have enough heat. Find some scrap to practice on, even if you are just putting down a bead and not welding two pieces together.
    Last edited by bigbrian442; 01-31-2010, 01:11 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Preheat it.. No kidding? I never really thought how aluminum dissipates heat so fast would affect welding it. I'll try that out, that might be the part that's killing my welds.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
        If you are just welding steel, no special alloys, You can use straight CO2. For a little cleaner bead 75% CO2/25% argon. I use 75/25 on my MIG, but straight Argon on my TIG. If you want to weld aluminum with either the MIG or TIG you will need straight argon. You also need to change the liner in the MIG gun for aluminum wire.
        Thanks for the info, I found some tanks on Ebay that come with a 75%/25% already filled, so I will be set since my Lincoln Pro mig 140 came with the gas hook ups. Should work great for my mig. I think a 80cc tank should last awhile or should I just do a 40cc since I don't weld alot. How long does a bottle last with like a 40cc bottle?
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
          Thanks for the info, I found some tanks on Ebay that come with a 75%/25% already filled, so I will be set since my Lincoln Pro mig 140 came with the gas hook ups. Should work great for my mig. I think a 80cc tank should last awhile or should I just do a 40cc since I don't weld alot. How long does a bottle last with like a 40cc bottle?
          The bottles I have are 5 foot tall, So I don't know how the smaller ones will last. The large ones I have seem to last forever.
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, they don't have to use a lot of pressure like an oxygen acetylene torch so they last a long long time. And I got stuck changing the wire on our welder today. 33lbs of wire on one drum. And I got f'd.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
              Yeah, they don't have to use a lot of pressure like an oxygen acetylene torch so they last a long long time. And I got stuck changing the wire on our welder today. 33lbs of wire on one drum. And I got f'd.

Changing wire isn't that hard. Did you enjoy getting F'D?
              sigpic

Comment

No, it wasn't hard. It's just that I was the lucky bastard that had to stop what I was doing. It's kinda like hitting the lottery. Or playing wheel of fortune. Someone always hits Bankruptcy. I think that was the 2nd time in something like 5 years since I've worked here that I had to change the wire.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

The bottles I have are 5 foot tall, So I don't know how the smaller ones will last. The large ones I have seem to last forever.
                  I have seen the 5ft. ones their like 200 CC I think , they use those at the welding shop. I think I will go with the 80cc its like 3ft. tall. Thanks
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Alright, I actually got to do some more plates for a pintle hook so here.
                    The top and side welds came out pretty good again.

And here's those overheads.. That's probably about as good as I'm gonna get them. I welded them at the same speed and temp as the top and sides.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I think if you run the bead just a little faster on the overhead it will look better. Is the wire ER 70 S 6?
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah that's what we got. I'll try that next chance I get. That might be awhile.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                          Yeah that's what we got. I'll try that next chance I get. That might be awhile.

You should try welding overhead with ER 70 S 3 once. You'll think the weld has the clap it drips so bad.
                          sigpic

Comment

You should try welding overhead with ER 70 S 3 once. You'll think the weld has the clap it drips so bad.
                            HAHAHA nice personification there buddy.

Comment

I think maybe I'll have to stay away from any welding related STDs. The burns are enough. I don't like wearing a glove with my trigger hand.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X